Thread: Bell Target Shooting.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Plinker,

I like the idea of Bell target shooting, but I admit I find it hard to believe your claim that shooting at 6 yards on a Bell Target is harder than shooting at 10 meters on a 10 meter paper target - it makes no sense to me at all and defies all logic.

As far as I know the "bull" on a Bell Target is 3/8" - quite a bit larger than the "bull" used on targets at 10 meters ( a comparitive pin head) - so how can the bigger target at a shorter distance with a bigger bull be harder to hit? I am guessing you are comparing these two distances when using similar rifles?

Both disciplines are shot "free standing" ( not leaning on a table as you mention), so whilst I think it is good to promote the sport of Bell Target shooting, I am not too sure about the authenticiy of comparing it with the 10 meter air rifle discipline as a more difficult target to hit.

Maybe the pressure of shooting in a Bell Target match is what you mean?.this I can understand as 10 meter rifle shooting is seldom a live team event shot in a comparitively noisey and distracting club or pub with both teams watching the shooter perform - that kind of pressure would make it harder to perform - but it would not make the bull any smaller or the distance any longer.

We are also lucky to still have a good supply of 300S rifles ( and similar types) at £200 or less and have not seen any offered at the quoted regular asking price of £350 that you mention in your reply - if they were that expensive to buy, and if 6 yard shooting is more dificult to shoot than 10 meter shooting, then I think some of the "fun" aspect of Bell Target shooting can be lost when trying to promote the sport.

Fortunately, good used working match rifles can still be bought for £200 or less, and most think hitting a 3/8 hole at 6 yards is easier than hitting a pin head at 10 meters, and are happy to tackle it with a less expensive rifle.
    Last edited by zooma; 05-12-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.