Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bell Target Shooting.

Match rules now on:
    www.belltarget.com

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Thanks Edbear,

It is very interesting to find out about the variations in the rules between the different leagues and this adds to the interest as the rules can be "adapted" to local requirements.

The thought did cross my mind that it would be good to have some sort of ruling to seperate the springers or early type SSP from the full match PCP rifles as they would seem to give a clear advantage over the "basic" ( non match PCP) rifle.

I am sure a good shooter with a" basic" or early type target rifle can score higher than a poor shooter with a top match rifle - but most are neither a top shot or a bad shot and so a clear advantage over 6 yards ( or 7 yards) would seem to be in favour of the competitor with the better equipment.

My first priority is to get a bell target, and to promote the idea to encourage as many people as possible to have a go in our area, but once it is established and we have some experience to refer to I would like to look at any advantages that may be seen between the types of rifle used and see if there is any support to sub-divide or even ban certain types.

To start with I think I need to allow any .177 rifle that is within the legal power limit and see how we get on. I never considered the type of pellet - I just assumed the regular flat nosed target pellets would be the natural choice.

The thought of having a "vintage" match is very appealing and may be something we can look foward to in the future.

Frankly at 6 yards there is no advantage to PCP. Its all down to the shooter. Plus remember its free standing.

Quote Originally Posted by thimblehouse View Post
    Frankly at 6 yards there is no advantage to PCP. Its all down to the shooter. Plus remember its free standing.
    I am surprised, I would have thought any of the latest generation of full match air rifles with diopter sights from Walther, Feinwerkbau, Anshultz, Steyr etc would give a clear advantage over a standard air rifle with open sights and recoil.

This latest generation of match air rifles are also designed for free standing use and I would say they would be easier to use and to gain a better result more consistantly.
    Last edited by zooma; 17-10-2011 at 08:48 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Hi there, Red Bob on here is your man for a bell target,he makes them,I got one of his,first class workmanship,good price,mine also takes a paper target in front so you have two options,bell or paper I would recomend him atb John
    Thanks Pegasus - just what I need, a solid recomendation from a satisfied bell target user -and I like the dual use idea as well.

I will find Red Bob and PM him for some more details.

Bell Target

Hi Thimble House

I don't know how much bell target shooting you have done, but I have been shooting bell target for over 40 years, and I have to say there is a remarkable difference shooting with a pcp match rifle to an ordinary spring rifle, when the Feinwerkbau 300 series came in we had to give a special trophy for those that were still shooting with webley supertargets etc. The new generation match rifles are far superior in all areas with fit, balance and superb triggers you would be at a distinct disadvantage with an ordinary spring rifle.

Jim
    Last edited by Jimlad; 19-10-2011 at 09:55 AM.

just incase anyone needs a bell target, theres one on evil bay no item number: 200664170302
    Shaun

Was it worth the trouble, Ah, what trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Jimlad View Post
    Hi Thimble House

I don't know how much bell target shooting you have done, but I have been shooting bell target for over 40 years, and I have to say there is a remarkable difference shooting with a pcp match rifle to an ordinary spring rifle, when the Fienwerkbau 300 series came in we had to give a special trophy for those that were still shooting with webley supertargets etc. The new generation match rifles are far superior in all areas with fit, balance and superb triggers you would be at a distinct disadvantage with an ordinary spring rifle.

Jim
    Hi Jim,

Your comments make a lot of sense to me and I can understand why the PCP rifles would be a clear advantage over the "springers" etc.

I think we will start by finding or making a good Bell Target and see what interest we get locally, and if needs be consider some sort of local handicap system , or just have a different class for the top notch match rifles maybe.

Has anyone already got a handicap system in place to "even out" the differences in performance gains from these rifles, or even run different classes for different types of rifle etc?

...or does everyone just use what they have and look to upgrade when or if funds permit.

If everyone is in the same class no matter what rifle they use, I can imagine the satisfaction to be had by posting good results with the less expensive rifles, so maybe this alone is a good reason to just have the one class ( apart from the occasional "vintage" event now and again).

Walton Lions are the ones featured on the BBC: http://www.waltonlions.co.uk/

As most have said, rules and distances vary from league to league. In the Swindon League we shoot paper diagrams at 7yds but it all goes back to bell target origins - www.swindon177.co.uk

Whatever the distance and whatever the rules it's all good fun

Hi Thimble House

I don't know how much bell target shooting you have done, but I have been shooting bell target for over 40 years, and I have to say there is a remarkable difference shooting with a pcp match rifle to an ordinary spring rifle, when the Fienwerkbau 300 series came in we had to give a special trophy for those that were still shooting with webley supertargets etc. The new generation match rifles are far superior in all areas with fit, balance and superb triggers you would be at a distinct disadvantage with an ordinary spring rifle.

Jim
    Sorry my defence was comparing match rifles.
    ie FWB 300, 600 springers to the PCP. Yes there is a major difference to recoil rifles.
    I have been shooting Bell now 34 years. Tonight I outshoot several FWB 700's and Ansultz 8002.
    With my FWB 300s. At the end of the day its the shooter and the right gun for them, not how fancy it looks.
    Last edited by thimblehouse; 18-10-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Hi Jim,

Your comments make a lot of sense to me and I can understand why the PCP rifles would be a clear advantage over the "springers" etc.

I think we will start by finding or making a good Bell Target and see what interest we get locally, and if needs be consider some sort of local handicap system , or just have a different class for the top notch match rifles maybe.

Has anyone already got a handicap system in place to "even out" the differences in performance gains from these rifles, or even run different classes for different types of rifle etc?

...or does everyone just use what they have and look to upgrade when or if funds permit.

If everyone is in the same class no matter what rifle they use, I can imagine the satisfaction to be had by posting good results with the less expensive rifles, so maybe this alone is a good reason to just have the one class ( apart from the occasional "vintage" event now and again).
    As far as I am aware no league has different classes for different rifles. As its the shooter who makes the difference and as such some competitions are often handicapped based on the shooters average score.

bell target rifles

Hi

Yes I would agree with you, at the level of bell target shooting there is not much difference in a 300s and a 700 Feinwerkbau just because the standard of shooting in a hobby varies too much, if you give a novice a 700 and an experienced 10 metre shooter a 300s there would be only one outcome, but saying that you would not win an Olympic ten metre gold with a 300s, how ever good you are, there is just no comparison in the two rifles. One of the biggest differences is the amount of effort in cocking the rifle between shots,

I think you will find the feinwerbau 600 is not a spring rifle, it is a single stroke pneumatic. No offence meant it is just that many bell target leagues do use the old spring rifles and don't allow the modern match rifles.

Jim

Hi

Yes I would agree with you, at the level of bell target shooting there is not much difference in a 300s and a 700 Feinwerkbau just because the standard of shooting in a hobby varies too much, if you give a novice a 700 and an experienced 10 metre shooter a 300s there would be only one outcome, but saying that you would not win an Olympic ten metre gold with a 300s, how ever good you are, there is just no comparison in the two rifles. One of the biggest differences is the amount of effort in cocking the rifle between shots,

I think you will find the feinwerbau 600 is not a spring rifle, it is a single stroke pneumatic. No offence meant it is just that many bell target leagues do use the old spring rifles and don't allow the modern match rifles.

Jim
    Sorry yes I stand corrected about the 600 series but you still have to cock them like a springer.
    In the short amount of shots in Bell as you say no clear advantage.
    PCP would help if you have a large number of shots to shoot in a sort time as there is far less effort required to keep reloading.

Happy to help anyone looking to start a league and add to the list on belltarget.com
    Last edited by thimblehouse; 20-10-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Bell Target Arrived!

The Bell target I bought from Red Bob has now arrived and looks very well made - I am impressed - even though I have nothing else to compare it with as it is also the first one I have ever seen!

One basic question I forgot to ask - how high from the ground do I mount the bell target from the floor?

The measurement to the cntre of the bull is what I need.

Thanks - Bob.

Bell Target

Hi

Five feet to the centre of the bull in our league, and seven yards ( 21 feet ) to the oche. I understand that some leagues shoot over 6 yards?

Jim