Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bell Target Shooting.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    The problem with too small a foresight is the white you see is not true it is the light refracted over the edge of the foresight.
    The eye has millions of receptor cells but there are only about 8 used to judge the gap of the white which is the precision of aim, so up to a point there is advantage in going big, this also reduces the phycological reaction of trying to over correct movement which is often much less than is actually happening. I've demonstrated to shooters with a Scatt (which is aiming path analysis using an infrared sender on the rifle) that what they percieve as massive movement is infact in side the 9 ring and if they just relax and let the shot go it will be better.
    I coach, and have taken the foresight out with some shooters who have problems keeping still, with some quite spectacular results. I coach a lady who has shot 560 at 10 mts, and uses a short sight base Walther LG300 Junior with a 4.7 foresight.
    Only with a very steady hold (590+) is it worth going a bit tighter on element some go down to 3.7 but we are talking people capable of those types of scores. Its interesting that the the top prone shooters (thats a very steady hold!) are using 3.7 on a smaller aiming mark.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Baby oil or what?

I have just bought a tub of Titanium Dioxide powder from "the bay" and am ready to start mixing it with a suitable fluid.

Baby Oil has been suggested as the thing to go for - anybody got any thoughts on this or know something better?

This will be my first "self-mix" and I am thinking to add the powder to the baby oil in a plastic jar and shake it until it is mixed - but I am of course hoping that is does mix quite well and not just clog-up in lumps?

Maybe I should mix a thick paste first and then gradually thin it down a little at a time?

Any helpfull advice may reduce the mess I am about to make!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Paint

In our League we use Titanium White artists oil paint, and just add a little 3 in 1 oil to it to stop it going hard, saves a lot trouble mixing etc, its cheap and easy to get hold of.

Jim

My lot recomend liquid paraffin. Mix it to a very thick paste not a liquid or anything that has movement, almost solid.
    Add the liquid to a small amount of the powder and keep working it in yes it will clump at first.
    Remember a little goes a long way and will last a very long time.
    Any problems PM me I will pass them on to our Chairman who is such a dab hand at mixing the paint he does it for many clubs
    and has been for the last 50 years.
    I have seen it done with olive oil but this did discolour it with age.

Quote Originally Posted by thimblehouse View Post
    The brightness can be adjusted by using a variable aperature back sight on the diopter.

I now have a variable Iris fitted and coloured filters to the rearsight along with an Iris on the foresight - I must admit that this combination is a vast improvement on the original sights - for my eyes anyway.

I am getting used to the dioptre sights now and intend to keep perservering although I still cannot stop myself from flipping back and forth from focussing on the target then back to the foresight - I must learn to concentrate more

Great fun this Bell Target innit.
    Life without happiness is no life at all.

Quote Originally Posted by markmac View Post
    I now have a variable Iris fitted and coloured filters to the rearsight along with an Iris on the foresight - I must admit that this combination is a vast improvement on the original sights - for my eyes anyway.

I am getting used to the dioptre sights now and intend to keep perservering although I still cannot stop myself from flipping back and forth from focussing on the target then back to the foresight - I must learn to concentrate more

Great fun this Bell Target innit.
    Have used a variable appature rear sight for somtime. Mine does not have the filters, did try one but found little use for the filters so went back. Because the light differs from target to target. I can use the iris to compensate and often turn a fuzzy target clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimlad View Post
    In our League we use Titanium White artists oil paint, and just add a little 3 in 1 oil to it to stop it going hard, saves a lot trouble mixing etc, its cheap and easy to get hold of.

Jim
    Thanks Jim,

That probably would have been a much easier way to go - but I have this large pot of Titanium White powder to use now - but I may well be tempted to buy a tube of artist oil paint the next time I am passing a craft shop!

Merry Christmas and thanks for all your help during the year.

My lot recomend liquid paraffin. Mix it to a very thick paste not a liquid or anything that has movement, almost solid.
    Add the liquid to a small amount of the powder and keep working it in yes it will clump at first.
    Remember a little goes a long way and will last a very long time.
    Any problems PM me I will pass them on to our Chairman who is such a dab hand at mixing the paint he does it for many clubs
    and has been for the last 50 years.
    I have seen it done with olive oil but this did discolour it with age.
    Thanks for your advice - 50 years of experience can't be a bad recommendation - however, when I tried to buy some liquid paraffin from the ASDA chemist last night ( the only place still open) they did not stock it any more as they have "alternative" and "improved" medical products to offer.

Undaunted I bought a bottle of baby oil as the next best thing, so I will mix a solution up with this and try other chemist shops until I find one that still sells liquid parafin.

Thanks for our help and advice - Merry Christmas!

Have used a variable appature rear sight for somtime. Mine does not have the filters, did try one but found little use for the filters so went back. Because the light differs from target to target. I can use the iris to compensate and often turn a fuzzy target clear.
    I find that the yellow filter works great in low light levels ,making the target appear brighter - works well for me - but must admit the other filters don't really add much,although I haven't yet shot in bright sunlight,so the grey/blue filters might come in handy in this situation.

First mix OK but does not cover evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Thanks for your advice - 50 years of experience can't be a bad recommendation - however, when I tried to buy some liquid paraffin from the ASDA chemist last night ( the only place still open) they did not stock it any more as they have "alternative" and "improved" medical products to offer.

Undaunted I bought a bottle of baby oil as the next best thing, so I will mix a solution up with this and try other chemist shops until I find one that still sells liquid parafin.

Thanks for our help and advice - Merry Christmas!

I mixed the titanium white powder with the baby oil and it made a nice smooth creamy paste.

Next I applied it with a (new) one inch brush to a new redrob bell taget face and it has gone on OK, but it is a little bit streaky.

I am guessing the mix may be a little too thick, or the face being new will give an improved cover with more use, or I need a softer brush!

Not sure which yet, but I am on a role now and will keep experimenting until I get a nice smooth streak-free covering ( is this possible?).

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I mixed the titanium white powder with the baby oil and it made a nice smooth creamy paste.

Next I applied it with a (new) one inch brush to a new redrob bell taget face and it has gone on OK, but it is a little bit streaky.

I am guessing the mix may be a little too thick, or the face being new will give an improved cover with more use, or I need a softer brush!

Not sure which yet, but I am on a role now and will keep experimenting until I get a nice smooth streak-free covering ( is this possible?).

Keep us posted with your results please Zooma- I have got some Titanium Dioxide powder off the bay and mixed a bit with some 3 in 1 oil but not pleased with the results yet - a bit discoloured and streaky.
    I will get some baby oil and follow your lead - Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markmac View Post
    Keep us posted with your results please Zooma- I have got some Titanium Dioxide powder off the bay and mixed a bit with some 3 in 1 oil but not pleased with the results yet - a bit discoloured and streaky.
    I will get some baby oil and follow your lead - Thanks
    ".....and follow your lead".

That sounds a bit like "the blind leading the blind" - but the resulting baby oil based mix is super-smooth and is a very bright white colour, so that part at least seems better than your experience with the 3 in 1.

I was going to test the 3 in 1 option later, but I will take note of your experience and not bother with that option when using the same Titanium Dioxide powder - but I may test it with some Titanium White artist oils paint sometime as that may give a better result.

I got a couple of very soft flat brushes from Rossendale Models this afternoon and I am hopefull that I can lay the paint onto the Bell Target plate a little bit better than I could with the standard one inch paintbrush I used last night ( it wasn't that bad in any case to be honest), so I am happy that I have a good result first time - thanks to the advise from the BBS contributors.

edbear2 Guest
    I use these foam jobbies;

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/r/RODFBS3P/

And they work a treat!........The mix for the paint I use is the Ti-dioxide powder and Liquid paraffin, or sometimes groundnut oil......but as others have said it can be "gritty", something which can be sorted by using a cheap hand blender (or the woman's when she is not about).

Thanks for the update guys.

I suppose a perfect finish is not really required ,just enough white stuff to show the pellet impact.

The TD & 3 in 1 mix,although a bit streaky worked well on the target plate showing pellet impacts very clearly.

Will try the baby oil though to get a pure white finish.

Merry Christmas and hope you keep your bells ringing

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    As a non Bell target shooter I have to admit that I'm fascinated, and well entertained by the near Merlin level of magic mixes going on!
    Would it not just be easier (but not as entertaining!) to just buy a matt white aerosol spray?
    Merry Xmas and a Great New Shooting Year.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?