Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bell Target Shooting.

You could try a DIY store for the liquid parrafin.
    Metal when storged is covered with an oil to stop it going rusty.
    Often new metal items still have some on it and this may react against the paint and not take to the surface.
    A wipe with white spirit will usually do the job to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    As a non Bell target shooter I have to admit that I'm fascinated, and well entertained by the near Merlin level of magic mixes going on!
    Would it not just be easier (but not as entertaining!) to just buy a matt white aerosol spray?
    Merry Xmas and a Great New Shooting Year.
    Robin
    Nah - its nothing like as "involving" and would probably go and dry as well.

I like the traditional approach - but then again - I loved the Fred Dibnah TV programes and books and have bought all his DVD's as well.

Not everything is better because it is easier and quicker and newer ( although most things are I have to admit).
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Nah - its nothing like as "involving" and would probably go and dry as well.

I like the traditional approach - but then again - I loved the Fred Dibnah TV programes and books and have bought all his DVD's as well.

Not everything is better because it is easier and quicker and newer ( although most things are I have to admit).
    Must agree then I knew Fred had the odd pint and have even been to his house in Bolton. Shame to see it today.

Babt Oil works

Quote Originally Posted by thimblehouse View Post
    Must agree then I knew Fred had the odd pint and have even been to his house in Bolton. Shame to see it today.
    The baby oil based mix is working very well, and now the target face has had a wipe to remove any protective oil it may have had put on it when it was made I also have a nice even coat every time with a standard one inch paint brush.

Painting-out the strike marks is also dead easy to reinstate the clean coated surface again.

The colour stays a nice bright white colour and has no smell.

I have found the best mix is like a thick cream ( non runny) and it speads like butter on warm toast.
    Last edited by zooma; 29-12-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks for the update Zooma.

Baby oil it is then

For the Bell Target of course - Wouldn't be using it for anything else,

honest
    Life without happiness is no life at all.

Quote Originally Posted by markmac View Post
    Thanks for the update Zooma.

Baby oil it is then

For the Bell Target of course - Wouldn't be using it for anything else,

honest
    I believe you... !

There may well be several brands and types of baby oil available ( I am no expert) - but just for the record what must be one of the most embarrassing bottles for a bloke to walk around ASDA with is the Johnsons baby oil that comes complete with a pink cap and a large pink label on the back!

It also claims it "locks in up to 10 times more moisture" - but this is the one that I have used ( the only one on the shelf at the time) and it has worked very well with the titanium white powder, and it has almost no smell and none that I have noticed after mixing.

You could always ask the missus to pick one up for you the next time she does the shopping!

Rivvy bell enders

Hi Steve,

Do you shoot on Wednesday nights at Rivington?

If so I would like to come over to meet you guys and see what I can learn to help our own small club.

Can you let me know how to find you ( closest landmark - that sort of thing etc) and what time would be best to arrive.

Thanks - Bob.
    Hi Bob,

Did you ever get over to Rivvy to have a go on the Bell?

Did you get your permission to shoot the bell at your church range yet?

Perhaps a couple of the Rivvy bell enders could come over to see you and have a little comp??

Some unexpected (long distance) family illness prevented me from getting across to the Rivington Club just before Christmas, but I am hoping to get across to meet you all as soon as things settle down again.

I have set up a bell target in my warehouse as we have yet to have permission to shoot rifles in our church hall cellar range - the committee meeting is sometime in January and is when they will consider this application.

Meanwhile you are welcome to come over to the Rossendale Club and try your hand at the shorter types of airweapon any Tuesday night ( pistols provided).

I believe you... !

There may well be several brands and types of baby oil available ( I am no expert) - but just for the record what must be one of the most embarrassing bottles for a bloke to walk around ASDA with is the Johnsons baby oil that comes complete with a pink cap and a large pink label on the back!

It also claims it "locks in up to 10 times more moisture" - but this is the one that I have used ( the only one on the shelf at the time) and it has worked very well with the titanium white powder, and it has almost no smell and none that I have noticed after mixing.

You could always ask the missus to pick one up for you the next time she does the shopping!
    Soft Hand while painting the target.!!

Quote Originally Posted by thimblehouse View Post
    Soft Hand while painting the target.!!
    Yes - they can be as soft as your face - no hang on a minute, thats the fairey Liquid ad

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    I really do have some concerns about you guys! Are you sure this is really about target shooting and not a baby oil mix fetish! Is there also an incantation to say whilst mixing, no wonder the church is apprehensive about allowing you to shoot in their hall!

We use a five target 10 mt biathlon target as a training aid, and its also really good fun (actualy its more fun than the training advantage!). Its a bit like a 10 mt bell target, we use match rifles, but no shooting trousers or jacket and allow ten seconds from picking up the rifle for each shot.
    Oh, and we don't paint the white front with baby oil mixed with parafin oil, or Lynx, or Hoppe's No.9 We just spray it with a matt white aerosol.
    Have fun.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Baby oil fetish ?????

Don't knock it until you've tried it matey

What aperture size are the target discs on your 10m Biathlon target Robin?

I am in the middle of making a very simple biathlon type target for 20 meter practice with my PT - Using 5 x 20mm holes in a 5mm steel plate with tarian discs mounted on pins , as the target disc but looking to replace the tarians with a steel disc or coin,to keep the costs down

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Not sure of the size, I'll measure them next week, I think about 20+mm, they are very easy shot normal standing precision which is why we put the timed aspect into it.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Not sure of the size, I'll measure them next week, I think about 20+mm, they are very easy shot normal standing precision which is why we put the timed aspect into it.
    Robin

Sounds like a good side-shoot to Bell Target Robin,do you have a timed penalty for missed targets - Be interested to know the rules to your competition.

Rossendale Bell Target - Stylers Rules.

I am starting to draw-up some rules for our club to start shooting Bell Target in some sort of organised way that hopefully will be of some interest to others in this area that may lead to some inter-club action.

The rules will be based around the Red Rob Bell targets as they are inexpensive to buy, available to everyone delivered to their door, and it seems like it is the type we all have locally in any case. They also have a target face with a scoring ring for a one shot score that some bell targets do not have - but will be included in these rules.

With so much variation in Bell Target rules from club to club and region to region I doubt this will bother anyone too much, and we can work with the Red Rob targets we have already got.

The full rules will be added to the Rossendale Model Target Club site very shortly for all to see, but will be shot at 6 yards and there will be two classes to give us the most fun and use at the lower cost end of target shooting.

One class will be for all "springer" match air rifles with diopter sights that do not have any form of recoiless action fitted and will hopefully bring out all those excellent early type target rifles such as the Walther LG51, LG53, LG55, LGV, Weihrauch LG55, Webley Osprey Supertarget etc etc.

It would be nice if we could run this class for specific target intended springer rifles with diopter sights only, but it depends how many are available and we may need to consider opening the doors to include sporting springers as well with open sights.

The other class will be for all recoiless springer and SSP rifles such as the Feinwerkbau 300S and 600 series, Walther LGR, Original Model 65, 66 and 75, Anschutz Model 250 and 380 etc etc. This will probably be the main class and can include the non-recoiless match rifles while we wait to see if there are enough of the earlier springers to fill a seperate class.

There will be no class for CO2 or PCP rifles of any type as we try to keep that "classic" theme at a reasonable enough price to tempt the most people to "have a go" and enjoy the period atmosphere we hope to create ( but without the smoke filled rooms).
    Last edited by zooma; 01-02-2012 at 07:17 PM.