Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hammerli modification

hammerli modification

has anyone cut the shroud back to fit an air stripper or mod on a hammerli ar20 ? how did it turn out ? was it worth it ? any pictures of finished gun ?

Ar20

I just use mine for bench rest because of the weight but I found that my POI changed depending on how I rested the gun so I removed most of the shield and left a small section at the end of the rail. This was then opened up with a dremel to float the barrel and left some protection against bending. This fixed the problem with mine and improved groups. It also allows for a slip on adapter or in my case an air stripper. I do not currently have any pictures I can post but if you search you should see other who have done the same.

thanks, tightening the groups is what I am trying to achieve, I think I will cut it back far enough toallow an air stripper and see how it goes, I can always float the barrel at a later date if the stripper on its own is not enough.

Ar20

If that is all you want to do then you can get an adapter that fits inside the shroud and butts up against the barrel. The trouble is it did not help mine because of the way the complete shroud is fixed it allows it to flex and move the barrel.

Ar20

Before shroud was chopped....

thanks for the pictures, I still think chopping the shroud is the best way, roughly how much room is there between the barrel and the air tube once its been cut away,

Ar20

Roughly 5-6 mm as there is some flex. Here is a pic of mine.

thanks for the picture

The CR20 has a very nice stripper on it originally iirc.
    ATB,
    yana

Ar20

True the CR20 .22 does but the AR20 does not. For some reason they thought the .177 does not need one and It prob.. does not. I just use my own design home made version that works very well on my Steyrs. The main improvement, I believe, comes from floating the barrel and the right sort of pellets. In my case the JSB exacts. All this makes a very good rifle great!
    Last edited by bobt; 26-09-2011 at 01:33 PM.

heres what I ended up doing, cut the shroud down level with the air tank bit, then reemed the remaining out to allow airspace around the barrel and no contact with the shroud, then slipped the oring back on to stop any crap from running down the gap, then attached ukneils airstripper, there is a marked improvement with this done but not sure if it was the floating of the barrel or the air stripper as I did not try it with just the air stripper before reaming it out to float the barrel.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g8...ster/001-1.jpg

Slightly off topic but still could be a hammerli mod . can anyone measure the od of the air tube ? Thinking Titanium tube but only if the od is around 33mm ish od .

Ar20

Quote Originally Posted by nutshot View Post
    Slightly off topic but still could be a hammerli mod . can anyone measure the od of the air tube ? Thinking Titanium tube but only if the od is around 33mm ish od .
    It measures 32.8mm on mine. By the way the Walther titanium one fits or the junior cyclinder and makes the gun so much lighter !!! a mod worth doing if the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    It measures 32.8mm on mine. By the way the Walther titanium one fits or the junior cyclinder and makes the gun so much lighter !!! a mod worth doing if the price is right.
    Cheers Fella I`m just saving up for a length or Ti to make a tube for my hw100 . I really fancied a hammerli when they came out until I felt the weight

Just goggled walther junior titanium cylinder and can`t find anything about them .

Quote Originally Posted by nutshot View Post
    Cheers Fella I`m just saving up for a length or Ti to make a tube for my hw100 . I really fancied a hammerli when they came out until I felt the weight

Just goggled walther junior titanium cylinder and can`t find anything about them .
    The junior cyclinders are ally from Walther and the titanium can be had from
    http://home.comcast.net/~joekorick/personal.htm