Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match pistol to start with?

Question Match pistol to start with?

Hi,

I started shooting 10m air pistol recently. I'm thinking of buying some s/h pre-recharged pistol if I can find one for a reasonable price. But it is inconvenient with club pistols because I you have to wait for duty officer to show up and you can't always shoot the same gun. So I'm wondering will it make sense to get something cheap (co2/spring/?) while and keep watching for a better alternative?

Any advices/recommendations regarding that or should I stick to the club guns instead?

Regards
    Oleg

Match pistol

Hi Oleg

You are probably right to want a recoiless pistol for match shooting - and that rules out most springers - though some older FWBs are still around and bvery accurate. You don't necessarily need a pcp, you could consider a single stroke pneumatic which might turn out cheaper (to buy and run) until you progress to a top gun. I know several people who started witha Gamo compact (not too expensive new and I have seen them under 100 pounds secondhand). the FAS 604 is a great pistol and they are advertised here from time to time (expensive new not so bad secondhand - apparently they can have problems with seals, but I bought one seconhand and have had no problems - it is far more accurate than me and has a fantastic trigger)

I'm sure other members of the board will have plenty of advice on pcp's and CO2 guns for you (I think there are a couple of serious CO2 guns - Rhom ??)- but the sorts used for action shooting - CP88, Colt 1911, Beretta 92, SMith and Wesson etc - wouldn't cut it as 10M target pistols)

Cheers

Jon

Tau 7, Co2, GREAT value, GREAT shooters!
    Old morini 162E's arent that expensive, about E400ish. Dunno what yr budget is?
    The IZH61, also very good buy (pneumatic pump)
    Also, every older Walther, FWB, steyr co2 pistol. But remember, the cilinders wont be in test anymore, and older seals are prone to leak, unless revised.
    ATB,
    yana

Cheap pistol for 10mtr

Oleg,
    Have a look at the Beeman 2004E they are a sigle stroke overlever pneumatic pistol in .177 cal. Fairly accurate and excellent value at about £70 new! They are virtually the same pistol as the HW40 except a lot cheaper and made in China. Alan

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    The Gamo Compact is very good for the price to start with, get the adjuster screw lengthened so it actually gives you sear engagement adjustment and it's even better, get the sears stoned & polished and the mechanism cleaned & lubed too and it becomes seriously good,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Drulov DU10 if you can find one .

5 shot true semi auto with firearm build quality , adjustable power , capable of great accuracy if you can do your part without having to spend silly money like you would for a Steyr .

Carl.
    " This , is MY safety "

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    It would help if you put a budget to the question....
    The cheapest half-worthwhile option I can think of would be a 2nd hand non-truglo HW40 - from there on, it all depends on how much you've got to play with?
    Last edited by harvey_s; 16-10-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I don't know yet what's the preferred style of answering threads is common here, all in one post or a dozen of posts one for each person.

I've been busy trying to score at least 300 in a local competition.
    Out of what I tried so far, I liked recoilless FWB's, but they are not easy to find since it's been a while since they manufactured last one.
    HW40 like pistols on the other hand are awkward to load. Both in terms of inserting pellet and compressing it. I always have a feeling that I'll jam my finger in it!
    I was thinking of setting my budget to two £150-£200 for starters.

As for the co2 FWB's/steyr's and co, are they using refillable cylinders like pcps do? co2's I've dealt with so far used standard 12g cartridges and some other bigger ones which weren't easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by aliher1911 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys!

I don't know yet what's the preferred style of answering threads is common here, all in one post or a dozen of posts one for each person.

I've been busy trying to score at least 300 in a local competition.
    Out of what I tried so far, I liked recoilless FWB's, but they are not easy to find since it's been a while since they manufactured last one.
    HW40 like pistols on the other hand are awkward to load. Both in terms of inserting pellet and compressing it. I always have a feeling that I'll jam my finger in it!
    I was thinking of setting my budget to two £150-£200 for starters.

As for the co2 FWB's/steyr's and co, are they using refillable cylinders like pcps do? co2's I've dealt with so far used standard 12g cartridges and some other bigger ones which weren't easy to find.
    I have two of the FWB C5 s and refilling the Co2 tanks are a breeze. Very fast shooting pistols and you can buy the seal kits for them but I never had to replace one yet.
    Squirrels don't like them though.
    You only live once...shoot a lot while you can.

I would think that £200 would get you a good Tau 7, which uses 12 gram cartridges; +/-33p from JSR for 80 shots. An excellent gun which can take you into the mid 90s if you have what it takes!

Some of the others, older FWBs and FAS are at least equally good if not better, but do not come up for sale so frequently.

Forget big bucks PCPs until you really know which pistol you want for ever (almost!).
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    I would think that £200 would get you a good Tau 7, which uses 12 gram cartridges; +/-33p from JSR for 80 shots. An excellent gun which can take you into the mid 90s if you have what it takes!
    What about Aeron B96? Is it something that makes sense to try?

... I liked recoilless FWB's, but they are not easy to find since it's been a while since they manufactured last one.
    There's a FWB 65 for £200 on Guntrader and a FWB 90 for £295 on Gunstar.

(I've no connection with any of the sellers)

I recently started 10m pistol as well, finding it quite enjoyable and surprisingly addictive.
    Daystate Mk4, Daystate X2 Merlyn, Weihrauch HW77k, Weihrauch HW35E, Benelli Kite

What about Aeron B96? Is it something that makes sense to try?
    Yes, no problem if you have one in mind, but it's likely to be quite a bit more expensive than a TAU7 and I doubt you'll shoot better with it.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Aeron B96 is a 5 shot and wouldn't be allowed in a single shot precision match.
    You'll need at least £250 for a good one and budget for £100 more if it needs servicing.

City (lincoln) have been advertising a Walter LPM1 SSP for £325 which will last you well if you can stretch the budget a little.

Personally though I'd suggest...
    a) Try a wanted ad. and see what turns up.
    b) A cheap, but more than adequate Gamo Compact that's easy to sell on later to start with.
    c) Keep saving and then catch one of the other bargains that crop up on here fairly frequently (I seem to recall there was a SAM going for a song here not long ago, but I can't find it now...)

ATB
    Harvey

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Aeron B96 is a 5 shot and wouldn't be allowed in a single shot precision match.
    Mine is allowed in single shot precision matches, not all b96 mags have 5 holes
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com