Thread: Air cylinder question

Air cylinder question

Hi all I used to scuba dive but no longer can as such I have a 15 litre, 12 litre, 9 litre, and 3 litre cylinders, my question is
    Are they easy to convert to air gunner use as currently they have dive valves on,
    And how much are they worth ? Bearing in mind they haven't been used for a few years they are out of test, would it be better to get them tested and then sold or sell 'as is'
    Many thanks

You can get an 'A' clamp set up with gauge for not that much. But the bottles will need to be tested. Probably not a viable proposition cost wise.
    You want it fixed when??!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnox View Post
    Hi all I used to scuba dive but no longer can as such I have a 15 litre, 12 litre, 9 litre, and 3 litre cylinders, my question is
    Are they easy to convert to air gunner use as currently they have dive valves on,
    And how much are they worth ? Bearing in mind they haven't been used for a few years they are out of test, would it be better to get them tested and then sold or sell 'as is'
    Many thanks
    They can all be used for air rifle PC charging . as you know your diving valves have two main types, one A frame and the other Din type can both be fitted with purpose made gauge assemblies for airgun use only.15 litre out of test usually go for about £60 to £70. 12 litre ones a little less, you could have a look on fle bay under Diving cylinders and tanks. you will get a better idea of whats your best bet. Cheers.
    Last edited by Tron; 30-10-2012 at 10:55 PM.
    high powered water pistol, thumb breaker catapult.
    And loads of proper guns.

Probably only worth anything if they're 300bar cyls.
    test is £35-£40 and a surface valve is £65-£70, so you're looking at £100+ to start.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    test is £35-£40 and a surface valve is £65-£70, so you're looking at £100+ to start.
    So if its gonna cost me £100 to get it sorted how much would it sell for ?

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    So if its gonna cost me £100 to get it sorted how much would it sell for ? Just wondered if it was going to be worth it

are they A clamp or din?
    I would say din is more desirable as it is the more common fitting in the air gun world.
    You don't need to change the valve as diving valves are perfectly usable for filling air guns you just need an adapter with a pressure gauge and air bleed screw. It's just with a surface valve you can skip the visual inspection and just have a hydrostatic test every 5 years.
    I think if they are 207 bar they are not that desirable but 230 bar are OK and 300 Bar are better still as you get more fills out of them.
    Wet finger in the air prices are £70-£120 depending on size fitting and pressure. I would check on e_bay to see what they go for. They are still worth something even without test as if they are in good condition they should pass the test and some people will still buy them for £30 upwards.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Approx new prices are
    3ltr £165
    7ltr £220
    12ltr £252
    They're from my best fittings book so may be a little off, they also include a hose (value £17.50).

So if yours are 300 bar with surface valves & new 5 year test 15-12 & 9ltr might make you enough to be worth while doing it, 3ltr would only break even at best.
    You might get a few £ selling them as is or just get them tested with the existing valve to give 30months life & sell for a little more, but prices are a bit of a guess.

Red face

Hmmm think if I remember they are 232 with din's, maybe I should just keep one then I have an excuse to buy a pcp

secretagentmole Guest
    Well stick to Air Arms then, they generally run at 200 bar or less (the S200 runs best at about 180 bar)!