Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First timer wanting gun advice

First timer wanting gun advice

Hi, im wanting to try sub 12ft/lb target shooting in the north east area, i have about £500-600 to spend on a gun, id really like a rapid mk2

What gun and scope would you guys n gals recomend?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam151082 View Post
    Hi, im wanting to try sub 12ft/lb target shooting in the north east area, i have about £500-600 to spend on a gun, id really like a rapid mk2

Nobody helping the newbie?

Even if it's old ground, new messages keep a message board alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam151082 View Post

Well, I cant help because I'm in exactly the same position, I'm reading reports and visiting gun rooms but being new its difficult
    sometimes to understand.

I have on loan of a springer at the moment its a Webley xoset but I would like to try a pre charged to find out
    the difference.

Cheers H

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    OK, firstly, what sort of sub-12ft-lbs target shooting do you want to do?

FT/HFT/outdoor target out to 55yds: you will need a scope as well as a rifle, so for £5-600 you'll be looking at something like an S400 + an EB 10x42 (HFT) or soemthing around 32x min for FT rangefinding.
    If you're budget's for gun only look at the Air Arms MPR, which has a target oriented stock as standard. Alternatively, a second-hand Pro-Target is still a very capable set-up. The Rapid'll do the job, but won't be ideal in terms of gunfit - unless you're very lucky. For target work, a 0.177 single shot is best as you get a more controlled loading/less potential for the pellet to be damaged.
    If you're after 10m target shooting then the MPR @ 7.5 joule will still do the job but you'll need dioptre sights - which can set you back as much as a scope! Some of the older recoilless springers or single-stroke pneumatics can be got s/h for around £300. Don't forget most 10m ranges insist on guns running 7.5joule only (6ft-lbs)

However, if you like the Rapid, go for it anyway: you'll enjoy it, whatever!

PS: you'll get more response if you post in General airgun - this section's for the nuts who use 12 ft-lbs @ 100yds+!

Jerry

I'm happy to pass on the advice which I received on here when I first started - join a club. The fees will be low and some/most members will allow you to touch and shoot their rifles.

You will find us a friendly lot, and if you explain what you want to the club sec or other official he/she will sort you out with some help.

Perhaps the Mods will move this thread to General Airgun?
    It's only a bloody pellet gun for Gods sake!
    BASC member

If its ft shooting , id go for a 2nd hand s400/200 or if you can strech pro target and a big nikko 10-50 mk 1/2

Quote Originally Posted by M1chaelW View Post
    If its ft shooting , id go for a 2nd hand s400/200 or if you can strech pro target and a big nikko 10-50 mk 1/2
    This is the way to go...

looking into a second air rifle got a pcp webley venum viper, the info here is great thanks

pcp rifle

ive recently bought a hatsan at44-10, in .177, for around £365, which is qiute a good one, but there are plenty of differant ones out there, like air arms s400 or air arms s410. try to use a good scope, a 8-16 x34 or 50 mag scope. for a realey good view i use a jsr 8-16 x 50 on mine,, but hawk scopes are ok to start with,

There ar no clubs for the lad to join up here in the North EastThere are a few places that allow airgunners to shoot but they are primarily shotgun orientated.
    still there are a good number of folk who do shoot and if you can get to Steve Smiths shooting grounds in Dinnington (Behind the airport at Newcastle) there are a keen bunch of guys who get up there on a regular basis.They will almost certainly let you try thier guns and be able to pass on the knowledge of a vast number of years in some cases.The ground is closed on Mondays and Thursdays But during the summer months starting when the clocks went forward they are open till 21:00 hours on a wednesday.Rapids are fine guns but there are more sensible choices for target work to be had.Air Arms has already been put forward but there are others such a Falcon,Brocock,Daystate Hunsman to name a few and all will put pellets where you want them and all are far easier to use and keep filled with air than the Rapid.
    Graham
    [URL=http://www.ukchineseairgunforum.org.uk/index.php[/URL]

buying

You can always see a crap rifle look on a used forum and just see how many rifles there are of the same up for sale lol eg smk gamo lmfao stay clear of these

Said many times before,

Go to your local air gun club, see whats being used and get first hand advice
    When you lose,don't lose the lesson

What you should do is,

First, choose what you enjoy, ft, hunting ect, then decide what type of gun you want, such as pcp or springer or whatever takes your fancy, by joining a club you will be able to try out different rifles and different types of shooting, even different scopes.

Hope this was usefull

Well you all seem to be advocating joining a club, so you must know of one in the North East area then???Please let me into the secret of where it is based.And I don't mean indoor and 25 yard ranges either.
    This part of the country seems devoid of any sort of HFT/FT clubs within easy reach of your average John Doe.The ranges that are available to us are an afterthought at shotgun groundsAnd are plinking grounds only.You could maybe hold an informal bench rest shooting comp,but that is as far as it goes.
    The Steve Smith grounds at Dinnington have some long range spinners and reset targets but with a black rubber conveyor belt backstop you have no idea of where your pellets go if they miss.But there are guys there who can and will help novice shooters.
    Last edited by walrus1#; 15-07-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    [URL=http://www.ukchineseairgunforum.org.uk/index.php[/URL]

You should join a club when I first started everyone was very friendly and let me shoot their guns