Thread: Bell Target Pellets

Bell Target Pellets

The new Bell Target should arrive from Red Bob tomorrow, so we are ready to get started.

What pellets should we use?

As confirmed "paper punchers" we use wadcutters like R10, so what should we use for Bell Target shooting - round heads?

What do you suggest works best and why?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Pellets for Bell Target

Hi,

You can use either wad cutters or round heads, depending how you want to score the shot, the wad cutter will leave a clear imprint if you wish to score the outer edge of the pellet, but most bell target leagues score the Pip, a small speck of paint that is trapped when the round head pellet hits the plate, i.e. the pip has to be inside the hole or inside the scoring line to be scored up.

The shot on the left of the hole, scoring the outer edge of the pellet would be a 5, scoring the Pip it would be a 4.

Jim

Yes round heads are always best for scoring in Bell

Most of my it use RWS Superdome.
    As they can then use RWS pellets of about the same weight when paper punching at 6yds and
    no need to change sights.

Plus the price isnt to bad considering the vast annual increase in pellet price these days.

Nice to see my picture do the rounds. Anyone is welcome to use it.

It seems like we need to decide one way or the other and make a choice. We can't really have both types of pellet shape being used, and we are keen to do what most other's do so we have some sort of continuity.

Scoring the pip seems like the most accurate way to score the shots, and will probably keep the challenge alive more with lower overall scores(?), so I am leaning towards using round head pellets.

Any advance on RWS Superdome?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimlad View Post
    Hi,

You can use either wad cutters or round heads, depending how you want to score the shot, the wad cutter will leave a clear imprint if you wish to score the outer edge of the pellet, but most bell target leagues score the Pip, a small speck of paint that is trapped when the round head pellet hits the plate, i.e. the pip has to be inside the hole or inside the scoring line to be scored up.

The shot on the left of the hole, scoring the outer edge of the pellet would be a 5, scoring the Pip it would be a 4.

Jim
    How about the "split shot" pellet next to it?

If we are scoring the pip - this would be a "5" as the pip is not visible - yes?

....and if none of the pellet is visible and "rings the bell" then it is a........5.1 ? I am guessing a "clean" bell ring shot is worth more than a "split shot" whatever type of pellet and scoring is used?

To be honest you dont need the 5.1 unless there are a number of good teams that need some way of dividing them to avoid to many matches being drawn. The 5.1 has caused some arguments in some leagues. What happens if there is a mark on side of the bull hole, but not on the plate? Does the plate thickness come into it?

Hi everyone.In the league i shoot in we do have the extra .1 for a shot that leaves no mark on the plate.I'ts actually quite easy to see if the mark is on the face of the plate or inside the hole.I agree with the extra .1 myself as it rewards the extra accuracy...

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    It seems like we need to decide one way or the other and make a choice. We can't really have both types of pellet shape being used, and we are keen to do what most other's do so we have some sort of continuity.

Scoring the pip seems like the most accurate way to score the shots, and will probably keep the challenge alive more with lower overall scores(?), so I am leaning towards using round head pellets.

Any advance on RWS Superdome?

Hi, we use AA fields as a control pellet in all competitions. You get two sighter's if requested, then 5 scoring shots......max score possible is 25.

5 is for ringing the bell, ie. either a clean shot through on the plunger, or a very close "splitter" where enough of the pellet still has the energy (about 6 pound ish) to trigger the indicator.

4 is inside the 1" ring and so on......the pip indication of the round head type comes into play on the dividing lines, with the center of the pellet scoring, not the extremity of the splash mark

HTH, ed

I can see that one of the suggested .177 pellets for use in Bell target shooting (RWS Superdome) is only available in 4.50mm, so that save's the problems of testing and seeking advice on what "size" of pellet to use.

The bewildering choice of 4.48. 4.49. 4.50. 4.51 and 5.52 that we have for most of the flat nose match qaulity (semi-wadcuter) pellets makes life more difficult than it needs to be - in my opinion - with no clear cut reason for that amount of choice in the first place as the BBS thread on this subject suggests.

Another advantage to the Bell Target shooting - keep it nice and simple!