Thread: Tanfoglio Witness 1911 plating

Aardys is offline Formerly Old gun/git/ formerly oldcliff/formerly (watch this bleddy space)...

Tanfoglio Witness 1911 plating

do you think one of these could be nickle plated ?
    or would it have to be anodised ?
    i dunno what metal its made of, i would suspect its pot metal
    Getting Old

Witness plating

I think any metal that is electro conductive could be plated.I do not think it is wise to keep using the old term of "pot metal" as there are some different alloys that now exist. Interesting thing about the Witness is that I have been able to use G96 Gun Blue cream to blacken the metal. This usually only works on ferrous metals.It also blackens with their anodising solution for aluminium which is quite interesting.

Baz

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I've not fired or handled a Witness but I have their magazines, and if the rest of the pistol is the same quality as their mags seem to be, it must be a very sturdy pistol.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

If as I would think they are made out of the same metal that most of the metal airsoft pistols seem to be made of they look strong but can be a bit brittle in places like the hammers and the back edge of the slide I am only going by ones that I have seen for sale on airsoft forums

Quote Originally Posted by 2schimels View Post
    I think any metal that is electro conductive could be plated.I do not think it is wise to keep using the old term of "pot metal" as there are some different alloys that now exist. Interesting thing about the Witness is that I have been able to use G96 Gun Blue cream to blacken the metal. This usually only works on ferrous metals.It also blackens with their anodising solution for aluminium which is quite interesting.

Baz
    I have a TM 1911-A1 airsoft pistol that has an after market aluminium slide and frame fitted it is painted mat black oxide it looks good but is prone to scratching I have been tempted to have a go at removing the paint and putting some aluminium blacking/bluing on it could I get a shiny finish like steel bluing or would it be dull black/blue.

Aluminium touch up

Beagle, instead of doing the whole gun, first try Birchwood Casey Aluminium Black on the scratches to try the reaction.Depending on the alloy mix you will get varying degrees of blackness, probably a matt finish.

Baz

Not sure if you could nickel plate it but these guys
    http://www.rschrome.co.uk/generalprice.html
    Do chrome plating. I emailed the guy and he said the gun just has to be metal to do it ?

If not you could strip the paint of it and polish it etc. Will give you a nice nickelish colour.

Interesting link, those guys are quite near to me, I want to leave my Witness as it is but I have a couple of older guns I wouldn't mind being Chromed.

Will have to wait until after Chrimbo now though.
    Last edited by blooregard; 10-11-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Golden gun Warning

WARNING
    if you are thinking of turning it into a golden gun look what happend to the last people to have a golden gun
    Mr Sadam & Mr Gaddafi .

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    WARNING
    if you are thinking of turning it into a golden gun look what happend to the last people to have a golden gun
    Mr Sadam & Mr Gaddafi .
    Then again there's Duke Nuke-um
    Set Bazookoids to kill stuff and mount. We're going in!

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Interesting link, those guys are quite near to me, I want to leave my Witness as it is but I have a couple of older guns I wouldn't mind being Chromed.

Will have to wait until after Chrimbo now though.
    If you get it done please update us with a picture of it