Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: original 45

original 45

i've been given an original 45,when i cock it the sear doesn't hold the piston.i've stripped the trigger,gave it a clean,theres no wear on the sear or piston.i've put stronger trigger springs,weaker ones,shortened the mainspring,cant think of anything else! anyone on here with any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by wil95k View Post
    i've been given an original 45,when i cock it the sear doesn't hold the piston.i've stripped the trigger,gave it a clean,theres no wear on the sear or piston.i've put stronger trigger springs,weaker ones,shortened the mainspring,cant think of anything else! anyone on here with any ideas?
    Assuming the 3 balls are present?
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

I may be loosing it here - Did the '45 have a three ball trigger?
    I remember the early ones had a problem with the safety catch.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

original mod 45

its not the trigger unit with the ball bearings

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I may be loosing it here - Did the '45 have a three ball trigger?
    I remember the early ones had a problem with the safety catch.

ATB
    Ian
    No you are probably right.

I was thinking "35" I have no idea what the 45's setup is.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

ELMOR FUDD is offline Don't put your fingers where you wouldn't put your Cock
    Have you checked the trigger sear isnt cracked?
    Common problem on the Mod 45 but they can be bought cheap enough from Chambers
    Goose shootings not just for life ......its for christmas dinner
    Bolt handles,silencer adapters,safety catches,filler caps,Brass Trigger guards for most guns and more

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    No you are probably right.

I was thinking "35" I have no idea what the 45's setup is.
    i'd post some pics if i knew how to!! it was made in 1981,if thats any help.

original mod 45

Quote Originally Posted by ELMOR FUDD View Post
    Have you checked the trigger sear isnt cracked?
    Common problem on the Mod 45 but they can be bought cheap enough from Chambers
    checked the whole trigger,no wear at all,i'm stumped!!

Just to cover all bases: The adjustments are not so "out" that that is the reason why the trigger is not engaging?

original mod 45

Just to cover all bases: The adjustments are not so "out" that that is the reason why the trigger is not engaging?
    i've tried the adjustment screw,from really loose to tight,still the same outcome

original mod 45

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    never done one of these or even seen one . The parts diagram looks pretty complicated as well. If you think that the trigger is ok, then try taking the mainspring out of the gun and remove the cocking arm. Slide the piston back with a rod/screwdriver or similar and see if the trigger engages fully and holds when you pull against the piston. If it does then there is a fair chance that your trigger is ok and the problem is that the piston is not coming quite far enough back when the gun is cocked. This could be down to the piston being worn where the cocking arm pushes (probably see signs of wear) Or maybe the cocking arm has been bent.
    This is a pretty good thing to try with any gun that does not cock. If the gun has problems cocking, people tend to swing on the barrel and make matters worse. had a few guns with slightly bent cocking arms with this problem.
    Sorry I cannot help more but the basic check may save you spending money on bits you dont need.
    the trigger is not complicated(easy to strip)the piston is fine,the cocking arm is straight,when cocked it sets the safety & trigger,the sear clicks onto the piston for a fraction of a second then releases,and theres no wear on either the sear or piston!!

Hi

Think that your spring is too long, therefore fully compressed it is not allowing the sear to engage . I have had this problem with Diana/Original air rifles before when fitting new springs....even when the spring supplied is an original from Diana in Germany.

Just check that the previous owner has not packed the spring with an additional washer/washers on the spring guide...common problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidshot View Post
    Hi

Think that your spring is too long, therefore fully compressed it is not allowing the sear to engage . I have had this problem with Diana/Original air rifles before when fitting new springs....even when the spring supplied is an original from Diana in Germany.

Just check that the previous owner has not packed the spring with an additional washer/washers on the spring guide...common problem.

That did cross my mind but if you check the OP the OPer stated that he did shorten the mainspring. A test for this is to check whether the piston engages the trigger without a mainspring fitted, can usually be done even out of the gun, although an "OK" does not necessarily translate into an OK when the piston is loaded. But a negative test result would mean that the issues are with the trigger.

That did cross my mind but if you check the OP the OPer stated that he did shorten the mainspring. A test for this is to check whether the piston engages the trigger without a mainspring fitted, can usually be done even out of the gun, although an "OK" does not necessarily translate into an OK when the piston is loaded. But a negative test result would mean that the issues are with the trigger.
    Yes ... I was just going to suggest this when I got to the 'last post'. Remove mainspring and try cocking ... watching the sear engagement and safety slide action as you do so.
    Otherwise, check assembly and recheck. The safety slide needs to be fitted correctly and make sure the trigger locating pin is not snagging on anything. Sorry if this is teaching granny .... (if so, ignore). but it may be a very simple mistake on assembly of the end block. There is a guide in the 'Idiots Guide' that may help.
    cheers, Phil

original mod 45

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Yes ... I was just going to suggest this when I got to the 'last post'. Remove mainspring and try cocking ... watching the sear engagement and safety slide action as you do so.
    Otherwise, check assembly and recheck. The safety slide needs to be fitted correctly and make sure the trigger locating pin is not snagging on anything. Sorry if this is teaching granny .... (if so, ignore). but it may be a very simple mistake on assembly of the end block. There is a guide in the 'Idiots Guide' that may help.
    cheers, Phil
    thank for all your help,will try your ideas,might have to shorten the mainspring again.will let you know the results