Thread: Webley Tempest Cenntenial calibre?

Webley Tempest Cenntenial calibre?

Hi, new to the forum so I appologize if this could be seen as a boring question.

I would just like to know your preference of calibre and why.

I'm looking to buy a Cenntenial, but for some reason i dismiss the 22, I already have an "as new" tampest in 177 (but i like the centennial box) so a 22 would be a better choice, but is 22 as popular as 177 ?.

I know to some with bigger hands pellet size can be a problem but it is not an issue for me.

TIA Grego

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Historically, .22 has always been the best selling calibre. Consequently .177's are that bit rarer, so command a better price once the gun becomes "collectable". Look at any two comparable Webley pistols and you'll notice the one in .177 calibre is always priced a little higher.
    Whether or not this will be true of the "Centenial" Tempest by the time it becomes collectible; who knows? I'd have liked to have seen this pistol have special commemorative stamps on the actual pistol seeing as it's meant to be a limited edition. As it stands, if what now calls itself Webley decide to do this pistol as an ordinary production gun at some point in the future there'll be no visible difference between the commemorative and the standard. So apart from having a nice looking case, why would I want to pay £200 for one?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    For me, it's .177 all the way as a pistol calibre

The box was being sold by Protek seperately and with a little effort can be modified to accept two guns and tray for pellets etc.

Here one I did earlier....http://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey_...7625645270479/

A local dealer is selling the box for £70, so you get the pistol for £130, £130 for a decent, well made british classic pistol is a bargain.

I'm not looking for an investment, just curious as to other peoples opinions on the 2 different calibres, but i also would have liked some type commemerative mark on the actual gun.

I do find it hard to believe that Webley will not be manufacturing it anymore, and also wonder if it will be like our local sportsware shop, which is forever closing down.

Do a forum search for 'Tempest Centennial', and you will find several previous threads on the subject.

For pistols, .22 isnt as popular. However that just cóuld make .22 an ideal choice for a centennial! I have the Tempest in both calibers.
    Allthough I dont like shops selling the box seperately: the box should cóme with the pistol!! Its almost what mákes it a centennial!
    I know they're expensive all-in, but I'd say: either sell as a whole but expensive, or dont sell the set at all.
    Imo..
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    For pistols, .22 isnt as popular. However that just cóuld make .22 an ideal choice for a centennial! I have the Tempest in both calibers.
    Allthough I dont like shops selling the box seperately: the box should cóme with the pistol!! Its almost what mákes it a centennial!
    I know they're expensive all-in, but I'd say: either sell as a whole but expensive, or dont sell the set at all.
    Imo..
    Actually I agree with you, I bought a box though as a) they were very nicely made and good value on their own and b) they were surprisingly available.
    It's that last bit I struggled with really, given the the centennial was a limited run of 2000 - how come they had so many boxes going spare?
    I wondered if they weren't selling as well as hoped for and they had split some as a trial with the guns to be sold on their own later after the centennial ones were sold off, after all I think if they sold the gun only for £130 it would be a good buy...

Incl box too expensive I guess. 299 iirc.
    ATB,
    yana

£199 I think you'll find the usual price for the boxed gun, the boxes alone were being sold by Protek for £70 hence only about £130-150ish for the gun if it was to sold on its own perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    £130 for a decent, well made british classic pistol is a bargain.
    I agree, but you're wrong about the Tempest Centennial being a British classic pistol. They're not made in Britain at all (like the real classic Tempests and other Webleys were), they're made in Turkey by another airgun manufacturer for Webley, who are now just a name and don't make anything themselves. For that reason alone, I'm not buying one of these "centennials" at all. Centennial of what exactly?

While I do own a few .22 pistols, I would say that I prefer .177 in pistols, so do many others. I think .177 is more popular in pistols, while .22 is more popular in terms of airguns overall, that's because .22 rifles outsell the rest by a large margin, although I have heard that .177 gains ground every year.

If you're buying it to shoot, I would get .177. If you're buying it to put away as an investment I would get .22. Perhaps you could have the best of both worlds and by a spare barrel in the other calibre and swap them as you see fit?