Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wilkinson marked airguns?

Quote Originally Posted by WilkieWebley View Post
    Hi Chaps,

Got it many thanks to all. I also heard from Garvin (the original poster/owner) unfortunately this rifle was sold as parts, so the stock and all parts are now scattered. However at least I do have proof that Wilkinson did indeed mark their air weapons. Of course the big challenge now it to find one! So if anyone ever happens across 'any' Wilkinson marked air gun pleased drop me a line.

Very best to all, Roy.
    What a shame Roy,
    This rifle would have been worthy of sympathetic (for that read minimal amount of) restoration and retention.

Kind regards,
    John

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    What a shame Roy,
    This rifle would have been worthy of sympathetic (for that read minimal amount of) restoration and retention.

Kind regards,
    John
    Hi John, Although I have no hesitation in breaking an incomplete and too expensive to finish gun, or one that is badly damaged, this one was quite a rarity IMHO with those combinations of markings, so would have been a 'saver' if mine.

A retail mark alone can bring bring a small premium in value, but to have the National service league, and the gun number on the pistol grip bottom as well as a Top retailer made this probably 1 of a tiny handful with this combination.

As you say, a shame, but presumably several other guns have been brought back to working order with the various "body parts"!

Hi Chaps,

Yes a shame this gun wasn't saved. I suspect there was only a small amount of airguns with the Wilkinson mark, so my only concern is that this example my have been the only one in existence I will live in hope that another example will surface one day

As mentioned..on a positive note at least I now have proof positive that air weapons were indeed marked by Wilkinson.

All the best, Roy.
    Looking for ANY air weapon with the retailers mark of 'Wilkinson Pall Mall, London'.
    Please visit my website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

If it's any consolation, I bought a front sight and various screws from the seller of that Wilkinson rifle, which helped to complete another Improved mod D (or possibly more than one, I can't remember exactly). But I agree that if it had been mine, I would have attempted to keep it whole.

In the sales thread, posted on here three years ago, the seller said he had overpaid for the rifle and desperately needed to recoup his outlay, which he felt was only possible by breaking the rifle and selling the parts.

He priced it so the total value was about £225, but it looks like not every part sold so the gamble didn't quite pay off. Maybe the auction site would have been a better bet.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

The rifle's owner cannot be blamed for wanting to realise the best possible price for the rifle but I wish I knew about it before it was broken up, if only to secure it for Roy. As has been correctly said, at least the old girl has helped to get some other rifles going, so not all bad news. Wonder what happened to the stock?

John

Hi Chaps,

Yes I certainly don't blame anyone and I'm sure these missed opportunities only come along to frustrate and teach us. As you say though I'm sure that stock is on a nice, although re-build rifle. I just hope it wasn't sanded down

Very best, Roy.
    Looking for ANY air weapon with the retailers mark of 'Wilkinson Pall Mall, London'.
    Please visit my website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com