Thread: Red Dot Sights AnyGood ?

Red Dot Sights AnyGood ?

I have never used a dot sight in my life but have just bought a brocock pistol ,

Im thinking about putting a low mag fixed scope on it , Or do i put a Reddot on it ?

Do you Zero them just as you would a scope and do they hold a zero well ?

And also any one reccomend a decent red dot that will fix to standard 11mm rail ,

Thanks in Advance Aidy ....
    AirgunBBS.com

Not a pistol though but I have Docter red dot fixed on top of a Whitetail scope on my BSA Ultra ratting set-up. Excellent for rapid close-up shots.

Great for pistols, but you can get a lot of parallax error.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Parallax problems with red dots, too? I'd heard about such with scopes.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Im
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Parallax problems with red dots, too? I'd heard about such with scopes.

Jim
    I'm happy with mine...works on pests with older shooter eyes...I can still shoot and prefer the iron sights though
    You only live once...shoot a lot while you can.

fast target aquisition and large fov.

you will generally get more parrallax, depending on what model you get and how you shoot
    if you get one of the tube scopes (a la: http://theconsumerlink.com/imagesEdp/Tasco/p87515z.jpg) you need to shoot consistently, maintaining eye relief and shooting position.
    if you get a halo style (a la: http://images1.opticsplanet.com/180-...in-reticle.png) you get maximum parrallax BUT with a good lot of shooting you get quite good at lining it up (off centre) so your position becomes less critical.

in terms of holding a zero and accuracy - asides from the parralax on the halos, they're as good as any 'normal' scope. the halos have the advantage of being reasonably indestructible and with no lenses to knock out of alignment (depending how you treat your guns, this may not be a problem).

i have nothing to say against them...

Here's a good read.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/dotsight.htm

The most popular misconception about dot sights is that some models are blessed with complete freedom from parallax. Nonsense! Parallax exists in all dot sights because of the nature of the sight design itself. While it is true that all sights do adjust for off-center parallax at particular distances, they become more vulnerable to the problem at other distances.
    What exactly is parallax? Parallax is the "error" that occurs when one of two vectors that are parallel is used as a reference for the other. This is a factor with a dot sight because its reflecting lens is optimized for reflecting the image of the LED right down the center of the tube into your eye. If the pistol is held incorrectly and the shooter views the dot near the edge of the tube, it will not actually be pointed at the actual correct point of aim.

Or

http://www.aimpoint.com/segmentval/hunting/

With an Aimpoint sight, you never have to worry about centering the dot inside the sight. Once you see the dot on your target, you’re ready to shoot. Other red dot sights with substantial parallax can cause you to miss by as much as 30 cm (12 inches) at a distance of only 45 meters (50 yards). That can mean the difference between a clean kill and irresponsibly wounding an animal or missing it completely.
    Last edited by Phil G; 31-10-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I don't know about parallax, but I know that PhilG was dead-on with his red dot-sighted 686 when he competed in our UBC Police comps.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I have one on my Alecto - and have an on and off relationship with the thing - usually it's quite good but sometimes, like when the sun is in the wrong place, I prefer open sights.

Review > http://www.THINGY/forums/air-pistols...c-red-dot.html

"THINGY" is a i r g u n f o r u m . c o . u k (sans spaces)

Fortunately they are cheap to try out. Jsr start the game at £8 !!!

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/category...ed-dot-sights/
    Last edited by DougR; 01-11-2011 at 08:29 AM.

BSA 30 mm Red dot

I have a BSA 30 mm on my webley ultra. 15 minutes ago I sank a can that was floating 40 meters from my position is a creek. I think a decent red dot, The BSA is $40 American will do what most of us want to do with our air pistols. They are not a good standard scope, but with mine I don't need to worry about eye relief. I have a 22 long rifle Anchutz silhouette pistol with a standard pistol scope and eye relief comes into play.
    dwk54rak North Port Florida,USA