Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Pump up pneumatics - why are they so great?

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by brassbanjo View Post
    They do have some things going for them. My first one was a Sharp Innova .177, I was amazed that such a small, light action could produce
    12 ft-lbs, so it was great to take hunting. The variable power output was a fun feature too, you could use it indoors or in a backyard
    on just 2 or 3 pumps. However, taking it round an FT course, the noise and effort of continual pumping soon gets old.
    So while the Innova was quite popular at one point, once the PCP arrived on the scene interest dwindled.

For what it's worth, for purely hunting purposes, only a few shots are needed, and I think a good pumpup could be ideal,
    to avoid SCUBA hassle. However it must be possible to recharge with (at most) 3 pumps, or (better still)
    to fire a few good shots from a small reservoir. We now have the FX independence, though its expensive.
    Perhaps in the fullness of time the price will come down and more punters will take this option
    An answer sir, Parker Hale Dragon.....

I think, out of the standard pump ups I have had the Dragon was easiest to pump. Maybe even easier than my JB1?

I think pump ups in general require one more development step and that is multiple shots from say 10 pumps. The Independence achieves this and a Bowkett gun I have. Its very easy to pump and the handle is only required to open by 90 degrees.

Once you have 5 shots at your desposal then I can see no extra benefit of a pcp, as a hunter....

If you are into target shooting... maybe pcps are the way to go....

ALex

The PH Dragon is relatively easy to pump, easier than a Mohawk (IMHO)
    And from an engineering point of view the Dragon is streets ahead of the Innova and Ace.
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

Quote Originally Posted by OLD JUD View Post
    The PH Dragon is relatively easy to pump, easier than a Mohawk (IMHO)
    And from an engineering point of view the Dragon is streets ahead of the Innova and Ace.
    Yes, Mohawk required more effort than the JB1, because it was much less efficient. The JB1 used an inline valve..

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    I'm waiting with baited breath for my mate Ged to get back from his trip to the drinks cabinet
    Ha ha, Thanks mate, I raced back, Fell over the cat & Spilt an expensive Cognac !
    Only one reason ! Power , I note everyone has evaded the point.
    When they came out, There were no chrono,s !
    I might add that any high power Pneumatic is far from recoiless !!!
    Every man & his dog had one ,

The Sheridans were in my opinion much better guns & Will last the duration , As will the early crosmans,
    The SSP,s are for Orangutangs , I Have owned most of the & have none,
    ( They could have been made much smaller with a 2, Stroke action & Blowoff valve ) They just wanted the SSP Tag, & Paid for it .

Just a thought , Ged.
    Last edited by gedfinn 2; 18-01-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    Ha ha, Thanks mate, I raced back, Fell over the cat & Spilt an expensive Cognac !
    Only one reason ! Power , I note everyone has evaded the point.
    When they came out, There were no chrono,s !
    I might add that any high power Pneumatic is far from recoiless !!!
    Every man & his dog had one ,

The Sheridans were in my opinion much better guns & Will last the duration , As will the early crosmans,
    The SSP,s are for Orangutangs , I Have owned most of the & have none,
    ( They could have been made much smaller with a 2, Stroke action & Blowoff valve ) They just wanted the SSP Tag, & Paid for it .

Just a thought , Ged.
    My multi shot multi pump (early 90#s versiion of the Independence) has a blow off valve to stop you putting too much pressure in and is very easy to pump. I think it's something similar to that on the BSA Spitfire. I believe Bowket did as you suggested offering a two stroke conversion with a blow-off valve for the Mohawks. This greatly reduced effort required aswell a required arm length , as it only stuck out 90 degrees to rifle.

Alex
    Last edited by albrown; 18-01-2012 at 03:13 PM.

PH Dragon is a nice rifle, BUT from what i've read its heavy!! and its still 500 quid as well. not far behind the FX

Because they is, that's why!
    Ged must have short arms, I have only have an 80 inch reach and I have no problem. I like my Mohawks and Dragon, plenty of exercise!!
    ATB, Eric
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy001 View Post
    PH Dragon is a nice rifle, BUT from what i've read its heavy!! and its still 500 quid as well. not far behind the FX
    Was it really 500? I bought mine for a reasonable 250 second hand. They are will made, no heavier than a decent springer. The only downside is the one shot option. The recharging scares away any potential rabbits left after your first shot

Mohawk was too difficult to charge, but JB1 was ok

Innova has it all

The sole reason that the Innova stands out from the crowd is price.

You can get a working example for 100 quid ready for hunting, once fitted with a low one-piece mount and a cheap 4x32 scope.

Even a really a nice one will only set you back 175 quid.

12 ft lb, virtually recoilless, easy to work on, light, robust enough if not used as a hammer and actually very accurate.

No other gun offers so many advantages with so few disadvantages (only really the plastic and slightly heavy creepy trigger - I can easily live with these issues).

I am compiling an up to date list of my guns with serial numbers, calibres etc. and it would appear that I have 14 Innovas
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy001 View Post
    Hi Andy, i have the heavier and rarer Dragon FT, heavy but well balanced so the weight isn't an issue (approx 10lb 12oz minus scope) fitted with either a HW or Twink moderator and it's near silent.......And sooooo easy to pump.
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

Quote Originally Posted by albrown View Post
    Was it really 500? I bought mine for a reasonable 250 second hand. They are will made, no heavier than a decent springer. The only downside is the one shot option. The recharging scares away any potential rabbits left after your first shot

Mohawk was too difficult to charge, but JB1 was ok
    Hi, about six months ago. I was on the hunt for a ph dragon a few i found were all in that price bracket!

MattyBoy
    Innova has it all
    I am compiling an up to date list of my guns with serial numbers, calibres etc. and it would appear that I have 14 Innovas

Thats greedy!

OLD JUD
    Hi Andy, i have the heavier and rarer Dragon FT, heavy but well balanced so the weight isn't an issue (approx 10lb 12oz minus scope) fitted with either a HW or Twink moderator and it's near silent.......And sooooo easy to pump.

hi, Does cocking not get stiffer the more you pump it?

(ps my mutiquote isnt working?

The Dragon is a SSP - you only use one pressure stroke.
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

You can get a working example for 100 quid ready for hunting, once fitted with a low one-piece mount and a cheap 4x32 scope.

12 ft lb, virtually recoilless, easy to work on, light, robust enough if not used as a hammer and actually very accurate.

No other gun offers so many advantages with so few disadvantages (only really the plastic and slightly heavy creepy trigger - I can easily live with these issues).

Well stated..my INNOVAs are delight to use in the woods. Light , handles quick and as accurate as ANY air rifle I've owned. I rarely miss with the Innova. Got one in .22 and .177 . Only drawback is we yanks pay about 2X what it costs in the UK to buy a nice all original example .... they are seldom available to buy in the USA. Would love to locate one in 5mm /.20 cal someday.

Fourteen...? Really fourteen??! That is admiration for a product bordering on obsession! Or do you hold them as an investment?