Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pump up pneumatics - why are they so great?

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    Fourteen...? Really fourteen??! That is admiration for a product bordering on obsession! Or do you hold them as an investment?
    Well they are a nice affordable pump up, but hardly an investment gun, they are far too common.
    Having said that, if you have a mint or near mint Innova in original condition, i.e. with it's plastic front sight and hood plus rear sight then you've got a rifle worth £200+
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

Quote Originally Posted by OLD JUD View Post
    Well they are a nice affordable pump up, but hardly an investment gun, they are far too common.
    Having said that, if you have a mint or near mint Innova in original condition, i.e. with it's plastic front sight and hood plus rear sight then you've got a rifle worth £200+
    Hi Old Jud, I am replying to your post as it was the last ! ( No offence ) intended,
    I see the Innova as an investment also. Matty has a number & so do I , ( Maybe 8, & A metal breech & 2 Silencer adapters again in metal ) & Many spares, ( The spares are an investment though ! )

I saw a new Innova breech go on that " Sale site " for over £50 ?
    Plastic degrades , & Nothing will change that ! Had they been made with Aluminium or Steel breeches & Foresights,

Of course they wouldn,t have been at that price, ! I paid £50 for one from a Gunshop in 1979 & It was full power !
    Its simple math, If it takes 5 or 6 Pumps On a Sharp or Sheridan to make 11 Fpe, ( & They are not easy toward the latter )
    How is it going to be easy with a SSP, ! Note: Same amount of effort required to make the same energy , In one stroke, ( Or am I missing something ) It doesn,t happen, No freebeeeeeese In the mechanical world, Nothing is for free,
    read that a Pneumatic is only 5% Efficient & A Springer ( Due to the Exothermic action is 30% ) Efficient , Thats due mainly to the amount of heat/Perceived extra volume !

In my Humble opinion , For what its worth !! A Recoiless springer is the way forward, 200 Bar & Now 300 Bar PCP,s Count me out !
    If you had to physically pump them up, They would never sell another,
    Self contained, Recoiless, A 2, Pumper " Maybe " ?
    Anyway, Its time for my medication ! Yes darling, A Shiraz Ha ha, Ged.

"No freebeeeeeese In the mechanical world, Nothing is for free"

I knew I was doing something wrong! I will have to start charging then.

Ged 'Humble'? Never!!

ATB
    Eric
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post

Its simple math, If it takes 5 or 6 Pumps On a Sharp or Sheridan to make 11 Fpe, ( & They are not easy toward the latter )
    How is it going to be easy with a SSP, ! Note: Same amount of effort required to make the same energy , In one stroke, ( Or am I missing something ) It doesn,t happen, No freebeeeeeese In the mechanical world, Nothing is for free,
    read that a Pneumatic is only 5% Efficient & A Springer ( Due to the Exothermic action is 30% ) Efficient , Thats due mainly to the amount of heat/Perceived extra volume !
    So many possible variables involved here Ged, the added leverage of a SSP? actual volume of air compressed and size of air chamber? surface area of inlet valve? (i've discovered how critical this can be) air chamber design? ect,ect.

All i can say is that the PH Dragon FT is easy to pump, (In MY opinion) certainly not as easy as putting the first pump in a Sharp or Sheridan, but no harder than say putting the eighth pump in one of the latter.

My old .22 Mohawk would produce 11.3 ft/lb with single figure variation between shots, and i know someone with a .22 PH Dragon Sporter that is producing 11.8 ft/lb.

Now if i had to take 100 consecutive shots with the choice of a multi pump rifle that needed 6 or 8 pumps to get to a decent power level, or just a SSP i knw which rifle i'd opt for.
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

Some folks like pump guns

Check out this fleabay auction for a Sheridan vintage 1950 Handbook-Owners manual !!!

can't get link to work..... sold for 127.00 item 310372613438

http://cgi..com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...EOIBSA:US:1123
    Last edited by windygap; 23-01-2012 at 02:37 AM.

Pumpers

I love that you can choose how powerful you want it, in the backyard 1-2 pumps and no probs, out in the field give it 6-8 and down go the bunnies, lightweight too, can shoot all day and have no fatigue whatsoever besides sore legs,pumpers forever!

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    Only had a Sharp Innova and a Sheridan Bluestreak, the Innova was for my then Fiancee because it was light weight and she is tiny, but the multi pumps it needed to charge it per shot scubbered the chance of her getting further into the hobby . I loved the Sheridan but again being a multi pump made it unviable as a hunting weapon due to the time required for a quick follow up 2nd shot if needed due to a wounded animal.
    Last edited by Grayling; 12-02-2012 at 06:36 PM.
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

Benjamin forever

No has mentioned the Benjamins. I have had 342 and still have the 312, lightweight ,solid construction and very accurate. My 312 is easy to pump up to eight pumps ( 11.2 ft.lbs) and I would never sell it. Benjy`s were usually cheaper than Sheridan and Sharps to boot.

Pete.

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste

Pump Ups

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
    Only had a Sharp Innova and a Sheridan Bluestreak, the Innova was for my then Fiancee because it was light weight and she is tiny, but the multi pumps it needed to charge it per shot scubbered the chance of her getting further into the hobby . I loved the Sheridan but again being a multi pump made it unviable as a hunting weapon due to the time required for a quick follow up 2nd shot if needed due to a wounded animal.
    The Imperial Air Rifle Co. Double Express would have been your solution to the follow up shot.
    Last edited by Pagoda113; 13-02-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Laudator temporis acti

I shall have to get all my Innovas together in one place for a reunion photograph; before I start selling them off...

I will keep 3 or 4 - a nice collectors standard .177 and .22 and a hunting .22 and .177

The other 10 will have to go... needs must.

Watch this space...

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda113 View Post
    The Imperial Air Rifle Co. Double Express would have been your solution to the follow up shot.
    Never heard of it, methinks will be paying Google a visit in a minute.
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.

Never heard of it, methinks will be paying Google a visit in a minute.
    Here you are Sir

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....led-multi-pump
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post

Found one on the interweb Mathew , cheers though mate. Only 24 made double barreled multi-pump air rifle. Looks bloody well made all the same. But price POA that means expensive .

Found one on the interweb Mathew , cheers though mate. Only 24 made double barreled multi-pump air rifle. Looks bloody well made all the same. But price POA that means expensive .
    According to the G-WB thread I linked, Holts had a guide price for the auction of £2.5K - £3.0 K

Indeed "quite" expensive

But the item did not reach its reserve...

Lash two B45s together to make a budget double rifle. Providing that second shot, or, pull both triggers at once for the 'scatergun' approach