Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTC Mamba Lite 4-16x44. The right choice at last.

MTC Mamba Lite 4-16x44. The right choice at last.

Scope spec's have to meet the shooters need, end of, no compramise.
    For years I struggled with all I can afford type scopes & hated them, then I discovered Philipeono Simmons & loved them, still use one now.
    Due to useless info overload I decided I needed fixed mag, side focus & mildot.
    So I got a MTC Viper 10x44, loved it so I got two more, then discovered my choice was wrong & went off MTC scopes for awhile & didn't consider them.
    So much for info over load, It didn't help.
    My needs, not wants. Side focus, mildot, lightweight & clear glass. Everything else is OTT.
    My use is FAC air rifle shooting from 10yds to 100yds mostly hunting but some plinking more normally in the sub 12ftb air rifle ranges with 8 upto 12 mag. Higher for spotting or watching, lower for those close shots.
    My rifles needs to be sub 8lb in weight all kitted up ready to fire.
    Shoulder problems means side focus needed, loopy 22 means mildots.
    Takeing my time I drew up a short list, It was very short indeed & haveing used MTC scopes before helped with my choice.
    Good VFM & after sales service also helped with my choice.
    Good strong box plus good packing inside, considering how far it comes from the factory before It hits the postmans sack that part is essential.
    A good paint finnish, looking good so far. Metal flip up covers are much better than the flimsy plastic ones some scopes have, they hold there position & even if they start to flop a grub screw hinge means they can be nipped up tight again. The turrets have wide caps & easy to grip to remove or replace, the turrets are low, essential for FAC use inside crowded cabinet. Positive clicks but I haven't zero'd yet to comment further.
    1" tube & 44mm front lens mean I can use low mounts.
    Adjustable eye piece focus is taken for granted, after a fiddle I discovered it was fine for my eyes.
    No I/R, I don't use so I'm glad of that.
    No sunshade, never used one so without one the cost is lower, besides It uses a common size front lens so finding one should be easy if required.
    SCB ret will (it did before) help with the ranges I'll be shooting at. Mildot, half dots plus a ladder at the bottom. I still have one scope with a 30/30 ret & don't plan to change it, the mildots certainly are a feature needed for any new purchase I make, true the SCB's can be a little too fussy but I'll ignore it when I don't want it & be glad It's there for those difficult days.
    Before fitting my std test is looking out the window at objects at known distances from 10yds out to 136yds plus of course some objects on the horizon.
    Good glass, good enough for what I want, if i don't sound convincing think of it this way, looking through a scope It's simply down to two end results, not suitable & non useable or good enough & can use.
    If I can see a rats whisker at 10yds do I need to see dandruff flakes ? If I can clearly see the target area on a rabbit at 70yds do I need to count his teeth ? If I can see a 1" target dot at 100yds do I need to read the serving suggestions on a cornflakes box used to fit a target onto ?
    The clarity for me is more than useable.
    The focus seemed to be a little notchy, easy to turn & seemed to focus well but while turning the knob It just seemed to lack smoothness, paraniod possibly as this scope is replaceing another make of scope, that one had a focus so stiff I had to buy an aftermarket wheel, that added to the cost & weight.
    Inside the box I found two good leaflets, no good if you just slap the scope in the mounts & zero / shoot, excelent if your new to rifle shooting & it's your first scope. A lens cleaning cloth, the scope was in a long plastic bag & supported in foam blocks, two tools for adjusting or removeing the flip up covers, you can adjust to lift up, drop down or anywhere inbetween. No little pack of silica gel, I'm gutted, everything has these, I feel robbed.
    I considered what scope to get based firstly on my needs, my wants were also covered, a good price giveing VFM, so far It does what I'm expecting.
    The real test is when I've mounted it & flinging lead down range.
    Based on what I've seen so far would I recomend one to others, no, your needs may be different to mine & It may be the wrong choice.
    Would I recomend one for consideration for a short list to help decide what scope to consider, oh yes.
    Besides the FAC air rifle this Mamba is going on I also use a sub 12ftb air rifle, a 22lr & HMR rimfire.
    Would I change scopes on those rifles for a Mamba Lite ?
    The 12ftb one is allready being comsidered for a swop around, funds allowing.
    I consider the Mamba lite suitable for my wants on the 22lr but it allready has a high quality expensive scope on. I don't want to change so I won't but if ever I need to I allready have a short list of one suitable scope.
    Suitable for HMR ? Once I get into useing this one I'll consider if the clarity is good at long range. I don't need to change but if all goes well I just might consider a swop, on the HMR is good clear glass but the specs arn't quite to my needs so a "I want" just might over ride any needs, I only swop scopes If I need to due to the expense involved.With the HMR needs are reduced to wants due to lack of funds.
    I based my purchase on my needs, if your reading reviews to help decide what will suit your needs anything else is waffle & sales talk, don't go there to decide what scope you want.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GclI45rqXmo
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

As we've come to expect from you mate, a thorough & professional review

Well done!

ATB

Ken

I agree Bellycrawler.

I have the 4-16x44 Mamba Lite (there is also a 3-12x44 model which is slightly shorter and about 20g lighter. RRP of £160 v £170 for the 4-16x model).
    For 95% of most people's daylight shooting with either air rifles or rimmies there is no need for any other scope.
    It's a great spec, well executed and good value.

Verminator 66 is offline I Will Never Find Another Ewe
    cracking review mate

cracking review mate, i've got one myself, personally worth every penny

Thanks for the comments.
    Apprieciated.
    Just got my 2nd Mamba Lite to fit to a HMR.
    As much as I love my WTC that's fitted to the HMR, sadly It has to go.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

You should write for the comics
    No your reviews are too good
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

Great scope.

I use the mamba lite on my tx200sr with some high dampa mounts.

x8 for HFT shooting and X10 for genrel plinking.

The SCB reticle is the way forward.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Good review mate, I have 3 lites, a normal mamba, a Viper, and a pair of Viper connects...says it all really
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Had one - thought it was good, then got a Bushnell Legend and promptly sold the MTC. Absolutely no comparision. For a similarly priced scope the only thing that the MTC had better was the reticule.

With me it was the exact opposite

Had the Legend, but always felt the mildots were too large. Sold it & bought the 3x12 Lite & never looked back. To my eyes the optical quality was very similar, but much prefer the half mildot capability of the SCB.

Just shows, eyes are custom made to the individual

ATB

Ken

I had a legend ages ago and found it a bit gold fish bowl like - loads of distortion round the edge of the image

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoto View Post
    Just shows, eyes are custom made to the individual

Ken
    Ken mate, smack on, that should be a sticky!!!!
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

And me

I used a bushnell legend 5-15x40 no doubt a good scope, but the view for me was not good at all, sight picture too close even at 5x, the mildots were the size of digestive biscuits and it distorted at the edge when I zoomed it up, couldn't get on with sadly and sold it.

I know that Nick (Rapidnick on here) loves the legend and he is a very well respected member with considerable experience but it proves that were one scope is right for one user it's not so for another.

I have just ordered a Nikon 3-9x40 EFR with front PA based on the strength of reviews only but I will post my personal opinion on here once I have used it.

I've tried a few mtc's but didn't work for me I'm afraid ,too much parallax error. I prefer my Bushnell elite 6500.
    ok so they are more money but if it works then I don't mind paying.
    loved the scb ret though, bushnell should take note.