Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original Model 66 - Left hand stock

Original Model 66 - Left hand stock

The stock is no longer available - it has been exchanged for a r/h stock.

A friend of mine has a very good Original Model 66 with a left handed stock that he does not want - he is right handed.

The stock is in excellent condition, and although worth more than a standard right handed stock ( much harder to find - less made) it is no good for him.

If anyone has an excellent r/h stock to part exchange, please contact me so I can try to arrange something positive.

Failing that he can sell it as a left hander complete and buy something else, but I know he likes this rifle so it is worth looking for an exchange deal with a rlh stock first.

Only the stock is for swapping, not the rifle. He has a buyer for the rifle if he cannot find a suitable r/h stock to convert it for his own use.
    Last edited by zooma; 06-02-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Oops! Only one Model 66 stock to swap.

Not sure how I did this, but I have ended up by having two threads when trying to correct the spelling on the first one - must have pressed the wrong button!

Please remove one of them Mr Administartor.

Sorry!

We have had an offer of a r/h stock to buy, so if that deal comes off it will solve the problem and we will then have a rare l/h stock for sale rather than one to swap.

Anyone interested in buying a l/h Model 66 stock in really nice condition?

Hi Zooma,

I have a very nice RH Original 66 stock and am looking for either a swap or buy for a LH.

I can get some photos later tonight if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    Hi Zooma,

I have a very nice RH Original 66 stock and am looking for either a swap or buy for a LH.

I can get some photos later tonight if you are interested.
    Yes I may well be interested - especially if the offer to buy a r/h stock should fall through - so please send the pictures - thanks for your offer.

I'll take some tomorrow and get them to you.

I'm really looking for a swap rather than purchase as my RH stock is a particularly nice one with some grain pattern in pale Walnut.

I'll take some tomorrow and get them to you.

I'm really looking for a swap rather than purchase as my RH stock is a particularly nice one with some grain pattern in pale Walnut.
    OK 18W, I look forward to seeing the pictures.

A left handed stock is a lot rarer than a r/h stock and is worth a little more because of it - but if you have a exceptionally good stock then it could even things up a bit.

The l/h stock is nice - but not exceptional.

Here are the photos.

There are a couple which are the same but at different exposures in an attempt to give an indication of the the wood's hue.

Let me know what you think. ATB, Nick.

Here are the photos.

There are a couple which are the same but at different exposures in an attempt to give an indication of the the wood's hue.

Let me know what you think. ATB, Nick.
    Hi Nick,

It looks nice - do you have the missing butt-plate spacer?

No spacer on this one, it's in my AKAH catalogue somewhere without spacer and mine has an unusual barrel weight.

If you have one, simply remove and keep it for refitting. The stock has the standard dovetail cut to accept one. HTH

Wedding Stops Play.

My youngest son Steve gets married this weekend so I am a bit busy until next week (!), but I will send you some pictures of the l/h stock when I get back.

Stay in touch - Bob.

No problem Bob. A wedding is just a bit more important than an air rifle stock. (Now I've said it!)

pm me with any questions etc.

Have a good week and enjoy the big day.

I'm really looking for a swap rather than purchase as my RH stock is a particularly nice one with some grain pattern in pale Walnut.[/QUOTE]

I can see your stock has been nicely refinished - what oil did you use?

Have you tried using Linseed Oil? I have been told others have used this, but I dont know if it is boiled linseed oil, or non-boiled (?) linseed oil.

I have a 300S I would like to refinish with oil to give a nice oiled finish rather than the varnished finish it has now.
    Last edited by zooma; 02-11-2011 at 08:43 PM.

The Original 66 stock is still wearing it's original finish I believe. It's in unusually fine condition for a 25 year old stock and must have had very little use, the action is in a similar condition.

If you are refering to the FWB 150 (photos below in my signature) then I recently refinished that using a CCL kit, I'm not a great fan of just using boiled Linseed oil as a finish .

Here's a pm I sent to another member who enquired about the renovation of that stock.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

1. Having removed the stock and all it's fittings I first cleaned the chequering and stippling using sugar soap and an old toothbrush. Then sanded the stock using 800 grade paper, taking care not to smooth any edges/detail.

2. Then degreased with white spirit. There were some big dents (2-3mm deep) so I made sure they were well degreased. Allowed the stock to fully dry overnight.

3. Dent removal. I steamed them out, the big ones came out surprisingly easily by first slightly dampening the wood using a wet finger, them direct application of steam. I used the kettle! Let everything dry again, a quick sand and revisited a couple of areas which were still depressed.

4. Wiped with a damp cloth, allowed to dry and sanded again (1200 grade) to remove any roughness. This stock was a lovely piece of tight grained Walnut, and at this stage had a very smooth finish.

Here's a link. The kit contains, Cleaning/polishing compound. Red Oil (Linseed base with Alkanet) and Hardener.

5.Use the cleaning compound to further degrease/prep the wood. Then 5 straight coats of the Red oil, each allowed to penetrate overnight. Only one thin application of oil on the chequering, nothing else.

6.After the last oil has penetrated, the hardener is thinly applied and allowed to dry overnight. 3 cycles of this, which hardens the oil in the stock. Leave to fully harden for a couple of days.

7. Now it's time to build up the surface finish. Clean lightly with the cleaning/polishing compound. Mix a couple of drops of the oil and hardener on the stock and spread thinly. Leave for an hour and it becomes tacky, wipe of any excess and then hand rub the remainder. It will get warm.
    This starts off building the finish in pores of the wood, with each cycle it builds up and when the pores are filled the cleaner is no longer used.

8. Just a few more "coats" of oil/hardener and rubbing to build up the final finish to taste.

It's done, leave for 10+ days to fully harden.

So, it's not difficult but takes time. The finish is great, brings out the grain, provides a good hold but is as smooth as a piano key.

Not just a rub with an oily rag then!

I will check out the kit you refer to and find the best place to buy it.

I am surprised the Model 66 stock has not been restored as it is in such good condition - and an unusual light colour too.

Thanks for your advice - now I have to get ready for the wedding!.