Thread: What pistol?

What pistol?

I dont frequent the airgun section much so please have some patience!

Looking to buy a second hand pistol, which should I choose?

HW45
    Webley Alecto
    Webley Nemesis

I know the HW45s have dual power option and interchangable calibre. Dont know what the alecto is like as regards build and power.

The nemesis is about half the price of the other two but does it make it any worse?

Thoughts and opinions please?

MArk
    My karma ran over your dogma

Pistol

HW45 all day long. A bit tricky to get right but really rewarding. Others are recoiless but not as powerful. I don't understand why people don't get on with the HW45 but there are plenty for sale. Think it would be the last pistol I would get rid of.

I haven't tried the others, but do like the Alecto. Very accurate and one pump will do for 6yd target (two pumps brings increased power, three doesn't seem worth the effort for the gain). The trigger is a bit spongy out of the box, but with a bit of adjustment you can get it bang on. Looks a bit space-age, but in my experience its reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. Got a .177 (they also do .22) as it was for paper punching mainly. Mine likes RWS Super Hollow Points (seem more accurate than full wadcutters).

I don't know if the Nemesis is still available. I have two and prefer them to the HW45 really. They're less powerful, true, but for plinking or indoor target shooting they're very good. I generally dislike the HW45 because they're expensive, ugly (IMO anyway) and soulless, and while they are powerful, I think the power is overstated by many. I haven't shot or even handled an Alecto yet. If you can get a Nemesis, by all means do, if you look after it I think it might even be an investment, I can see them being collectible in future.

I can only comment on the HW45 and my comment is Build Quality!

Yes it is expensive but I've had mine 18 years! and it still looks and shoots great.

"and it still looks ... great."

They are good pistols, no doubt about it, they're capable of very good accuracy and are more powerful than most pistols, though I don't believe that they're as powerful as many people think and there are a few other pistols that are more powerful. I remember reading on here of a very talented marksman who was hitting playing cards edge on with an HW45 at ranges most would struggle to do it with a rifle. You should expect high performance though bearing in mind the price. As for the looks: HW45s are ugly, out of proportion, and suffer from the same design soullessness and boringness of many German products, they lack grace, and look as though they were designed by a draughtsman who only had a ruler and a compass and no conception of how to put a graceful line or curve on a thing.

I won't get rid of the one I own, but only because it was bequeathed to me. If not for that I would happily flog it and wouldn't miss it. My Webleys, BSA Scorpions, and Hy-Scores on the other hand...

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    "and it still looks ... great."

They are good pistols, no doubt about it, they're capable of very good accuracy and are more powerful than most pistols, though I don't believe that they're as powerful as many people think and there are a few other pistols that are more powerful. I remember reading on here of a very talented marksman who was hitting playing cards edge on with an HW45 at ranges most would struggle to do it with a rifle.
    I fondly remember that Thread from my earliest days on the Forum.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I've had all three and the only one I sold on was the HW45. Nothing at all wrong with it, powerful accurate and very well made - just didn't warm to it and thought it large and clumsy. Although I am a Webley collector I have nothing against Weihrauch one of my favourite rifles (including Webleys) is my HW77K.

The Alecto and Nemesis are entirely different from the HW45. Nemesis are only available second hand but, as they seldom reach £50, are a cheap and fun plinker which, whilst not very powerful (3-4 ft/lbs) are pretty accurate.

Alecto - beauty is in the eye of the beholder - again accurate, reasonably powerful and great fun.

Try before you buy.

The Alecto is fine on build and ()two or three pumps) can run the six FP limit pretty close - though for back garden plinking one pump does the job.

The HW45 is a very different experience - and people tend to like one or the other - "De gustibus" 'n' a' that.

P.S. - Don't rule out the HW40 or the much rarer HW75 which looks like the 45 and shoots more like the Alecto for feel.

Thanks for your input gents

I'm waiting to see if I can part a mate from his HW45 but I'm keeping an eye on the sales section in case a bargain appears.

I've had and sold two Webley nemesis' one black and the other silver. Wish I hadnt needed the cash and sold them now

Mark
    My karma ran over your dogma