Thread: Comparable Ammunition to Ely match

Comparable Ammunition to Ely match

Hi Guys
    I curently shoot an Annie 54 and use the Ely Match (black lable) ammo, however i'm finding it a bit expensive even at club rates, so was wondering if annyone is using an alternative that is consistant or knows anyone that is.
    Regards
    aquarius11
    One Shot = One Kill

The RWS equivalent is R50, but you won't find it any cheaper. I tried it once and at the time it came in somewhere between Match and Tenex price-wise, although that might have changed now. Don't know if their prices have moved proportionately with Eley's.

For training purposes try Team - starts out life as the same stuff, is graded during proofing (all white-head Eley starts out life trying to be Tenex and is graded as Match, Team or binned if it doesn't reach the level required). I hear they are also putting some "Practice" out which is a temporary brand used when they've got some stuff not quite worthy of the Team label but generally good enough for basic practice and novice training. Look out for it with a white label. It's fine and affordable if you need some ammo for guest days, novices or short-range pratice.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    My wife and I use RWS, R50 for matches which is as good as Eley Tenex, and Special Match (good as Match) generaly for practice and postals. I have also used RWS target (Club equivalent or better) which I find equaly adaquate for practice. We shoot almost exclusively 50 mts with the odd 100 yd and only 25 yd when pushed.
    R50 is around £175 per 1000, Special Match £132 and Target £80.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Lapua Centre X is another brand you may want to try. It's £115/1000 NSRA prices. It's certainly as capable as Eley Team. I use it myself and have no reservations. Quite a few people I know and shoot with are as impressed as I am. Another bonus is your breech doesn't get as gummed up with Lapua as it can do with Eley ammo.

Mike

RWS are doing batch testing at the Cambridge indoor range on november 20th. Air pellet and .22 rimfire.
    If anyone is interested I can pass on contact details but test slots are going.

Bing!

Lapua CentreX is great ammo, I consider it as good as Match at least. Also SK Rifle Match is surprisingly good for the money. It's made by Lapua also..

I should also say I have witnessed a 596 ex600 being shot at 50m with SK Rifle Match, granted it was matched to the barrel and in capable hands, but that's fantastic for the cost