Thread: Two newbies

Two newbies

Hi

Me and my lad are just starting out after turning 40 and 10 respectively. With birthday money burning holes in our respective pockets we've done the sensible thing and joined a local club before rushing to buy something. After going a few times and trying all sorts of guns it looks like we will go down the springer route first, although I can see us getting a PCP to share (Air Arms S200/S410 perhaps) at some point.

We are set on a HW30S for my boy and a HW97K for me.. Just need to choose a couple of scopes and gunslips etc. I am tempted by a tuned HW98 in our local gun store (love the feel and look of the stock) but an underlever appeals to me slightly more.

Some great advice on this forum so thanks for all the info I've picked up as a lurker!

Greg (& Henry)

hi and welcome to both of you

hi and welcome
    its good to see a dad teaching son shooting or fishing
    you are giving him memories he will keep for life and probably pass on to his kids
    brian

Mr Magoo is offline Should Have Gone to SecsPavers
    Good Morning and welcome to the BBS.

As mentioned above, it is great to see men teaching their children outdoor pursuits instead of just leaving them to play computer games etc....

I started encouraging my son into outdoor pursuits such as cycling and walking and swimming at an early age.
    Once he was aged @ 5 or 6 he was asking me to take him fishing and shooting and he loved it.

Best thing I ever did IMO as we have an understanding and shared interests so we get on really well.
    Sports and hobbies such as this offer a really good chance to bond with your children, both boys and girls.

He is now aged 11 and is interested shooting, fishing, archery, camping, kayaking, cycling, karate, swimming, football and many other pastimes along with computer games.

His very best friend is a girl, believe it or not. She is interested in the same outdoor pursuits but both her parents who love her dearly are too busy working in good jobs on shifts so she is eager and most welcome to come out with us any time that she can.

Good Luck.

Hi Greg & Henry welcome, to the forum what a refreshing attitude to read in a intro post,
    well done to getting your son involved as well instead of just leaving them to computer games,
    A good choice of starter guns as well, once you learn to shoot springers properly it teaches you
    consistancy, in handling and shooting . good luck and safe and happy shooting,
    atb Brian

A very warm welcome to this fine forum guys it’s good to have you join us ………………….…

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by gregd View Post
    Hi

Me and my lad are just starting out after turning 40 and 10 respectively. With birthday money burning holes in our respective pockets we've done the sensible thing and joined a local club before rushing to buy something. After going a few times and trying all sorts of guns it looks like we will go down the springer route first, although I can see us getting a PCP to share (Air Arms S200/S410 perhaps) at some point.

We are set on a HW30S for my boy and a HW97K for me.. Just need to choose a couple of scopes and gunslips etc. I am tempted by a tuned HW98 in our local gun store (love the feel and look of the stock) but an underlever appeals to me slightly more.

Some great advice on this forum so thanks for all the info I've picked up as a lurker!

Greg (& Henry)

Welcome to the forum! As Brian said, it's refreshing to see a post like yours and hopefully you and your lad will enjoy your new rifles when you get them. I've had a lot of springers, in particular HW and the two you mention are cracking rifles. Don't go for the 97 just because of the underlever though, if the 98 fits you better with regards the feel and handling of the stock I'd be inclined to recommend that one, especially if it's been tuned properly too. My own springer is an HW80 and is just as accurate as the underlevers I've owned.

Anyway, enjoy and all the best!

Paul

which shop did you go to ?

willards donaldsons or rk
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Many thanks for the warm welcome guys! You're right about the computer games too.. My two boys play on them far too much so it's great to have a fun activity to get them away from the screen.

Joffy we ended up going to RK Stockcraft.. The service there has been excellent so far and the guys at the club can't say a bad word about them.