Thread: What Air pistol

What Air pistol

HI

This is my first post on this forum very briefly started target shooting about 6 months ago enjoy it a lot have a Air Arms S400 for rifle, looking for a pistol to do 10m target any advise please as there is so much choice
    thankyou for your help

Quote Originally Posted by muppetdodge View Post
    HI

This is my first post on this forum very briefly started target shooting about 6 months ago enjoy it a lot have a Air Arms S400 for rifle, looking for a pistol to do 10m target any advise please as there is so much choice
    thankyou for your help
    I suggest you try as many match pistols as you can and decide on the one you like the best within the budget you have to spend.

All good match pistols are very accurate and better than most (if not all) shooters that are holding them, so find the one that works best for you and then try to find the best deal you can to buy one.

Some shooters recommend the type that they use because they are pleased with them. This is a good recomendation - but it also has to work for you, so it is best to consider good references like this as you try them for yourself, but go with the one you like the best.

Other considerations such as the support available for your pistol (maybe at your club or local gunsmith) may well also help you to make a choice if you like some as much as others, but amost every current match pistol is reliable and unlikley to cause you any trouble.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

HI

thankyou for your help
    What is your budget? A Gamo Compact would get you going ...I might have one for sale and live just down the road if you are interested
    http://www.ford-hft.org.uk
    You come into this world with nothing, go out in debt and you've made a profit

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I suggest you try as many match pistols as you can and decide on the one you like the best within the budget you have to spend.

All good match pistols are very accurate and better than most (if not all) shooters that are holding them, so find the one that works best for you and then try to find the best deal you can to buy one.

Some shooters recommend the type that they use because they are pleased with them. This is a good recomendation - but it also has to work for you, so it is best to consider good references like this as you try them for yourself, but go with the one you like the best.

Other considerations such as the support available for your pistol (maybe at your club or local gunsmith) may well also help you to make a choice if you like some as much as others, but amost every current match pistol is reliable and unlikley to cause you any trouble.
    Thanks for your advise and i think you are correct and i need to try as many match pistols as i can first , Patience something i find hard to do especialy when im intersested and keen

Thanks for your advise and i think you are correct and i need to try as many match pistols as i can first , Patience something i find hard to do especialy when im intersested and keen
    I know where you are coming from with this, and even now I sometimes ignore my own good advice and just buy something I like the look of at the time without the required "due thought and consideration"!

However, the good news is that you still get to shoot the pistol you thought you liked at the time, and when you do find something better or more suited it never seems to be a big problem to "move it on" to another shooter who would like to buy it from you.

This is one of the major advantages that we can all enjoy as not everyone likes the same thing - and many of us like to end up trying them all ( and owning them for a while as well!).

Nothing can beat the experience of actually owning and using any particlur type of pistol for a while - its the only way to spend the time with it and make the adjustments to personalise it for yourself - something you may not be able to do with a borrowed pistol !

.....and if after you have set it up the way you personally like it you decide it is not for you - then you will have gained valuable experience that may help you make a better choice next time.

Then again, you may just buy the next pistol that you like the look of and continue to add to your experience for years to come. ( ask me how I know!).
    Last edited by zooma; 13-11-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    As I've said (many times) before, a gamo compact is a good starter pistol, they seem to suit most people alright and while they're not the best at anything, they're ok. Buy one 2nd hand (approx £100) and when you move on and up, you will sell it for the same price
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Regardless of what any one says is a good starter pistol, or even the best pistol there is, the best advice is buy nothing, join a club, use club pistols, try others pistols, get coaching and gain experience and then buy what suits you best including your pocket.
    I belong to a club which is very active with target pistol, nearly every beginner new member who turns up with their own pistol has bought the wrong thing.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?