Thread: Pros & Cons on 4.5 & 6mm BB's please ?

Pros & Cons on 4.5 & 6mm BB's please ?

Hi everybody,

I've been a member for a few days now and I have spent that time researching the two guns I have on my shortlist, both of which I will be buying so they are not in direct competition with each other.

The guns in question are the Umarex Nickel Walther CP88 for which I am pretty much sure of everything I need for the purchase. However the 6" ASG Dan Wesson is getting me a tad confused, firstly with regards to the sizes of the BB's.

There's some conflicting information on whether they come with 4.5mm or 6mm and even the ASG site lists only one of these but I have seen both listed in on-line shops. Am I correct to assume that they are both readily available and one hasn't superseded the other?

On that assumption being right I come to my main question which is : Out of the two calibers, which would be best for plinking in the garden and what advantages do they hold over each other?

I have read here that the smaller caliber does not, or should not use steel BB's, is this still the case now because I've seen videos where what appears to be steel BB's are being used in the 4.5mm DW. I didn't want to use something that could cause problems with the gun or be a danger so rather than be stupid and just ignore the issue I figured I'd rather look stupid and ask the silly questions here.

Apologies for my ignorance and thanks for reading,

Mark / Boo.

Hey dude,

The Dan Wessons are available in both 6mm and .177 (4.5mm). Green boxes are the 6mm versions, white boxed the 4.5mm.

You will be fine with steel BB from the 4.5mm, I shoot them all of the time. They do seem to like Gamo Lead balls as well.

I would personally choose .177 (Most of my guns are .177 so I have plenty of ammo, 6mm is also a less common calibre for airguns being more for airsoft and seaside cheapies). I currently have an 8" black model and its great, I am looking to also get the 2.5" Nickel gun when its released. I haven't compared the 2 calibres really so I just go with what I know (and .177 BB has been around for over a century).

Do not expect match accuracy from any BBs, but they will certainly be tin can accurate at 10 metres or so which is what this kind of gun is made for.

Out of interest, what are the other guns on your shortlist?
    Last edited by blooregard; 04-11-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Hi blooregard,

Thank you so much for the reply. You have covered everything I needed to know and made the purchase a whole lot easier now, I'm very grateful for that.

The other guns I had on my shortlist were all based around the CP88 in the sense of the different options with regards to finish and grips. That's the gun I've wanted for a long time now so it was an easy choice for that one, although the Beretta 92fs nickel & wooden grips did catch my attention too and I suspect that one will be joining he collection before too long.

The revolver side of things, the Dan Wesson caught my attention the moment I saw it and until that point I not considered a revolver type. Then obviously I had to have a look around to see what my other options were and the S&W was the main competition but all I wanted from the revolver was fun to use 'looker' and the price of the DW was too good to resist as a fun backup to the CP88.

I've also been looking at rifles again as I do feel that I will be unable to resist one despite the injury and having the pistols in constant view will relight my enthusiasm for the rifle I'm sure. If it does then I would really like something like a Daystate Panther or a Steyr LG110 ft especially if I can join a club.

Well thanks again for the excellent advice blooregard,

Mark / Boo

No problems, glad I could be of help. You will enjoy the Dan Wesson, they are great fun.

Also look out for the 1911 Witness, if you handle one you will buy it!!

Dan Wesson

Hi Boo and welcome to the forum. I couldn't decide whether to get the 4.5mm or 6mm version, but I had a think what I wanted to do with it. Sometimes it's necessary to shoot indoors because of the weather so I got the 6mm one. I can shoot up the hall from the kitchen and knock over old empty shotgun cartridges, plastic soldiers etc and the only backstop you need is a cushion or two! Of course, when you get one calibre you will want to get the other as well, so it doesn't really matter which you buy first. Enjoy your shooting!
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Blooregard, thanks I was actually considering the 1911 Witness after reading so many thoughts of the pistol on here, it seems to be very much adored. Definitely one to get soon I feel as I was impressed with the look of it in the shop yesterday too

Webman, thank you very much for your input on this. I read your post and until then I hadn't considered shooting indoors, however I have now ordered an indoor target trap for BB use, the ones with the nets on, so thanks for that insight. I just about have a 25ft strip ( if I leave doors open ) that I can use while we have the usual British weather so I'm quite excited about that now.

I have ordered the 6" DW in 4.5mm from TAL Arms (well my wife did) and I'll be getting the CP88 in a month or so. Thanks again for the superb advice guys.

Boo.

Soft Touch

The Lads are right about weather

I am a fan of fast fire BB in 4.5mm, so for indoors though I also wear safety glasses as well I made a BB catcher,

One large chunk of very soft 2in thick white pine plank,

I sheet of plastic cushion flooring cut to same size, glued to plank with spray carpet adhesive,

2x jumbo car sponges, glued together and then glued to middle of plank/cushion floor,

Piece of ally/copper tube, dead barbie leg etc, flattened both ends and bent one up one down,

Screw one up end to top of of plank so a spring clip can hold a target over the sponges,

Hang it up up or make a base for it and blast away,

Once the sponges start to wear out remove spent BB and plug with dry worn out sponge scourers to repair.

Thanks very much for that ratgunner, I think I'll have to do some tinkering with all the scrap wood in the shed then.
    It's funny, I've been watching all sorts of handy DIY gun accessory videos today and I think that sort of stuff can be almost as satisfying as shooting. And it's something to do while the bad weather is here.

I've got a few questions bursting to be asked about some rifles I have my eye on but I'm trying to find all the info I can first before I make myself look daft

Cheers,
    Boo.

6mm plastic bb's can be very inaccurate for long distance shooting. Especially in windy conditions.

Thanks junaid8. I've only had the personal experience of .177 pellets so any and all info is a plus for me.

Just over a week to go now till I get my DW. All the bits and pieces arrived today, extra shells, targets, CO2, BB's. But I wasn't even allowed to see them

My wife did say that she's ordered me a little surprise too and has hinted that I need targets for it

Boo.