Thread: FWB 300 Su - Where To Start ?

FWB 300 Su - Where To Start ?

I've tried plinking and hunting and even HFT and Collectables, but never Target or Bell, so I looked around and did my homework and decided that a FWB 300 would be a suitable starting place. Snag was I shoot left handed, but eventually one came up for sale on this Forum and I bought it "blind". It arrived safe and sound, with the sights and stock removed for packing.

Now this is where I need advice please. I offered up the action to the stock and tightened the two bolts down but there is still movement laterally between the two parts. I know that the action slides back on a rail to reduce recoil but is this lateral movement normal or have I missed something ?

The next question is how to set it all up. The butt pad is adjustable up and down, it came supplied with a butt spacer, the cheekpiece is adjustable, and the rear sight has a choice of four grooves to locate in.
    So many things to adjust and I guess that some are interdependant, so any advice will be much appreciated.
    And Oh Yes, what a beautifully made piece of kit they are.
    David
    Old Dog Learning New Tricks

www.lomil.co.uk

On the 300 series there will be a tiny amount of lateral play in the action. The sledge mechanism in essence 'floats' on three pins, the engineering tolerance to allow the system to function means there is some slight detectable movement.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Hi,

You could come over to Lincs HFT with it if you like and I can help you out.

Not too far away.

I have stripped and rebuilt four of these now, you can compare it with another one if you like?

You can even shoot it over our 10m range.

HTH

Mark

Thank you gentlemen for your replies.

Rockdrill - glad to know there should be some movement (as I suspected). I am more used to the action being a really snug fit in the stock, but glad to learn about something new.

Cones - Thank you for the offers and I will take you up on some. I have been to the Lincs HFT Club several times and enjoyed the members help. Enjoyed your illustrated write up on stripping the 300 too. I will PM you to arrange a meet, but next week is out for me - having a spot of eye surgery on Wednesday.

Anyone care to explain to a newcomer the basic differences of the 300 range ? And how rare is the left hand stock ? Was it a factory option ?

David

www.lomil.co.uk

The difference is in the stock:

All the actions I have seen have all been 300s BUT the stocks you can get are

Junior..... shorter in length
    Match....
    Universal...adjustable cheek piece
    And an L...... I'm still looking for one of these, they are supposedly very rare!

All have an attachment rail.

Tyrolean is available too.

All are available as left hookers too.

HTH

Charles

Thank you Wadhill for the information. It looks like they got the mechanical bits right first time and just had stock variations, which helps for servicing and spares.
    David

www.lomil.co.uk

All models have the same mech no matter which version. There is a video on You Tube on stripping one down and putting it back together.
    Plus google it and you will find how to disassemble one in pictures.

I would suggest you consider replacing the seals just for your own piece of mind there is a seller on that does all the seals.

The sliding sledge rail can seem strange and I have known guns that slide when they should not a simple push the barrel forward before each shot and they shoot fine, or load the gun with the barrel down towards the floor and all is sorted.

You can even google the serial number and find when yours was made which is a deffinately an SU model due to the adjustable cheek piece.
    The left hander are factory made.

Just noticed this thread chaps. I bought a nice 300S myself last year and have enjoyed shooting it on a regular basis at 10m and now bell target. I am also a leftie but have a right handed gun. To be honest, I dont think that the stock configuration has proved to be too much of a hindrance. I am just contemplating if I should strip back the original stock finish and apply liberal coatings of walnut oil. What do you reckon?

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

If it helps, I've just done that with a stock that was a little tired from club use, and it came up very nicely indeed with an oil finish.