Thread: alittle advice please

alittle advice please

hi all just a little question please will a spring fit straight in a bsa supersport that has a gas ram in ie no extra bits needed
    cheers mark
    Heaven wont have me and Hells afraid of me

Should fit, but I can't remembe what the back end of ram looks like. (I know its the rod end, not the cylinder.) You have to take the pressure off the end of the ram, or spring, before you can tap the main cross pin out. I use a piece of broom handle with a slot cut out of it, but I'm not sure if that would work with a ram.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

cheers mate will now try and find one
    Heaven wont have me and Hells afraid of me

ram out, spring in

Hi mate, you'll need a spring guide as this will have been taken out along with the spring when it was converted. Also, check your cross pin hasn't been altered, I've seen one which had the guide retaining peg ground off so the ram sat flush to the pin. There is preload on the ram, only 5 or 10
    mil, but it'll still take a bit of effort to push it in. That is if it hasn't failed in which case it won't take much to move it. As above, broom handle with a slot is fine, another option is the old style spark plug box spanner on the twirly handle, remove the handle and saw/grind a slot to the holes the handle went thru, it will need opening up slightly but will do the job too.
    Just out of interest, why are you changing back to the spring ?
    Hope this helps.