Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: challenge to all bell target shooters.

Brilliant well done to Jim and him team.

Good advert for the sport!

Thanks for the update on my thread, what better way of showing the sport being used by the young and even endorsed by our police as well!

Spread the good news!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimlad View Post
    Hi Terry

When I say I don’t see the point, what I mean is that, Bell target shot as it supposed to be, is a very competitive sport, if fact one of the only shooting sports where you shoot for a team shot for shot against a member of the opposing team, and all the tension adrenalin, nerves and worry that you will loose to the other member and possibly loose the match for you team is all part of the attraction, so shooting on different plate over different ranges with different scorers in different venues can never be as competitive, or have the same attraction.

The way I try to promote the sport is that I and some other members of our organisation have gone through a NSRA Youth Proficiency Coaching Course, a NSRA Club Coaching Course, a Vulnerable Adults Course and a Child Protection course, having completed these courses it allows me to train young children from the ages of eight to sixteen from local youth clubs, the local Air Cadets and some special needs children, we have even had some visually impaired children shooting with the aid of lasers, which gives me a lot of satisfaction and along the way have encouraged a number of children into the sport, some of these children have brought along their parents and they are now participating in our league, which is all good news, we have even had sponsorship from local businesses to allow our organisation to purchase suitable rifles for the youngsters to use. ( AA200s & AA400mprs). There are a lot of people out there working for the good of shooting in general and most of the work is done behind the scenes.

Jim
    I agree that yourself and others are doing alot behind the scenes to promote the sport, but why hide your good work! if the police are happy to promote shooting in the community- why should'nt we tell people about it also, and not hide your meritable efforts - perhaps you do!

Bell Target

Hi Terry,

The presentation by the local police, was reported in the local press (Half Page),? what more can you do?

The people you want to get involved and educate are the non shooting public, the anti gun lobby, it is all good fun getting involved with other clubs etc, BUT! they are already into guns and on our side, it is the people that think guns are dangerous that we want to educate, that it is not the guns that are dangerous, it is the untrained user that is dangerous, we need to let the general public know that under the rigorous safety rules, that shooting can be a very safe sport. Here’s a good questionnaire to put around see how many people can answer the question.

1 The epitome of athletic achievement is the Olympiad! Only two other sports attract more participating
    countries than this at the Olympics.

2 You can take up this sport at any age, and still reach full international
    standard in a relatively short time.

3 In most other sports you are over the hill by the age of twenty! In this sport, there have been British
    Champions of twenty, and sixty, and every age between.

4 There are girl’s sports and boy’s sports, but this is both.

5 There are indoor sports and outdoor sports. This sport is both.

6 This is the only sport featured at both Winter and Summer Olympic Games.

7 Football requires a team, whilst an individual can compete at athletics. This sport offers individual or
    team participation, or both at once.

8 This sport has a zero injury and accident record. It is the safest sport of all.

9 This needs at minimum, little more than a room 50feet by 20 feet.

10 This is among the most disciplined of all sports and teaches concentration.

11 “Purity” is a term used in sport to describe the degree of precision required to execute a physical
    function. This is the purest of all sports.

12 In some sports, you may see violence or gamesmanship. Not in this sport.

13 In this sport the disabled can compete on level terms with the able bodied.

14 In this sport, nobody sits on the bench. All play.

WHAT IS THIS SPORT?

Jim

Hi all bell target shooters
    Just a few points on keeping clubs and minority sports going. One thing is to get the young involved.this is difficult because attention span is relatively short and constant attention to them and keeping them involved is essential.Have you got a young person on your club comittee? If they don't feel connected they will drop out. Also try not to let your club form cliques and ignore the less capable shooters.If there's no one at the bottom of the results table you have'nt got results table.Many a junior school these days seem determined to kill off any form of competitive spirit;so you may have to re-kindle a dead fire. Although I no longer shoot bell target I do still shoot elsewhere and read the Hinckley League results in the local paper.Keep your local press involved regularly.
    best of luck
    Owen

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimlad View Post
    1 The epitome of athletic achievement is the Olympiad! Only two other sports attract more participating countries than this at the Olympics.

2 You can take up this sport at any age, and still reach full international
    standard in a relatively short time.

3 In most other sports you are over the hill by the age of twenty! In this sport, there have been British
    Champions of twenty, and sixty, and every age between.

4 There are girl’s sports and boy’s sports, but this is both.

5 There are indoor sports and outdoor sports. This sport is both.

6 This is the only sport featured at both Winter and Summer Olympic Games.

7 Football requires a team, whilst an individual can compete at athletics. This sport offers individual or
    team participation, or both at once.

8 This sport has a zero injury and accident record. It is the safest sport of all.

9 This needs at minimum, little more than a room 50feet by 20 feet.

10 This is among the most disciplined of all sports and teaches concentration.

11 “Purity” is a term used in sport to describe the degree of precision required to execute a physical
    function. This is the purest of all sports.

12 In some sports, you may see violence or gamesmanship. Not in this sport.

13 In this sport the disabled can compete on level terms with the able bodied.

14 In this sport, nobody sits on the bench. All play.

WHAT IS THIS SPORT?

Jim
    Which makes it all the sadder that we (the taxpayer) are paying for an Olympic range at cost £50M+ which will be used for a World Cup event in April, left empty, and used for the Olympics in June. And then? IT WILL BE PULLED DOWN!!!!! Olympic legacy, shooting will get zero! Even the range equipment will go to Scotland for the commonwealth games, and then will be sold! Not distributed to clubs as equipment from other sports will be. The shooters of Britain get nothing!
    The London Olympic Committee will not even allow the range to be used during the empty period for the English Championships in May or the NSRA 50 mt championships!
    Write to your MP as I have done, he will refer it to the Sports Minister, and he will not reply! Chase the MP, and he will not reply.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?