Thread: Fitting QD Studs to BSA S10

psnash40 Guest

Fitting QD Studs to BSA S10

Hi all,

I have purchased a sling and qd studs to fit my rifle (BSA S10 .22 Carbine). Before I start I just wanted to get some background on fitting.

Where is the best place to mount the fore stud so not to foul the buddy bottle valve and internals?

Where is the best place for rear stud for comfort and to insure stock does not split?

Any pics would be very useful

Many thanks

Regards Pete

When you find out, let me know!

Steve
    There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

John Henry 1 Guest
    Uncle Mike recommends 13" to 17" forward of trigger and 2" to 2.5" from but pad. These measurements only as a guide.

Look here:

Rob M's Page

You will have to click 'Airguns' then scroll down the page to 'Sling Swivels on a Super 10'.

I have been told that this way is a bit overkill, but I am glad I did it this way, the rifle has been in use like this for a few years now without any problems at all, and I still think it's the best way.

Hope you like that page!

Rob M

Hello,

Easiest way to do this, is to remove the action from the stock.... easy on a S10, main bolt and trigger screw need to be removed.

Once you have the naked stock, measure the length of the stud screw, and then measure the stock until you find a depth that is slightly longer than the thread. Drill a pilot hole (put tape over the wood first, which will stop the wood splintering when the drill enters), and drive in the screw. If there is any metal protuding through the wood, remove the screw and file the point until the screw is the right length.

I then usually coat the screw with araldite before finally driving it home. This makes for a very tight, and rigid fixing. I then glue a small piece of felt over the screw hole (if any) on the inside of the stock.

Good luck,

Doug
    Regards,

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M
    Look here:

Rob M's Page

You will have to click 'Airguns' then scroll down the page to 'Sling Swivels on a Super 10'.

I have been told that this way is a bit overkill, but I am glad I did it this way, the rifle has been in use like this for a few years now without any problems at all, and I still think it's the best way.

Hope you like that page!

Rob M
    Hello Rob,

Nice page!!

I noticed that you remark that you hadn't been able to black the steel strap??

How about 'blueing' it, and the stud?? Would look fantastic, and is sooo easy!!

How?? - Get a blowtorch, or any other hot flame, and heat the strap until it has reached red heat, and let it remain in the flame for roughly 30 seconds. When it has been at red heat for 30 seconds, drop it into a small container of engine oil. Leave it for a few seconds, then remove it. It will be black, with a blue 'rainbow effect'. Do the same with the stud.

I have found that by experimenting with the length of time left in the flame, cooling in the oil, or different grades/weights of oil, several different colours, from yellow, through to green, and purple can be obtained.

Best results are obtained when the steel is polished before blueing. If the steel is not polished, the finish will look 'Parkerised'

This works, I guarantee it, it's so easy, and extremely satisfying!!

Good luck,

Doug
    Regards,

Doug

I have also been trying to fit a sling to my S10
    I gaev BSA a call and spoke to one of their technical chaps.

He suggested drilling a pilot hole about 2.5 inches back from the fore end angled back towards the trigger at about 60 degrees. This allows you to screw into the the thicker part of the stock which sourounds the cigar tube.

As for the rear swivel, i made the mistake of drilling too close to the but pad and ended up catching the retaining screw- oops.

One thing I would say is that the S10 does not seem to hang very well on a sling.

Does any one have any suggestions as to fixing this?

Thanks for the info Doug, since I wrote that page, an engineer mate had a go at blacking it and did a much better job!

Cheers anyway, I am sure that info will coe in useful sometime soon!

Rob M

Mohawk Guest

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jkata
    One thing I would say is that the S10 does not seem to hang very well on a sling.

Does any one have any suggestions as to fixing this?
    Simple answer is to carry it barrel down. Or alternately you could use a double butt end sling. This requires a flexible sling, like soft webbing etc. Put a stud in the normal butt position & another one on the top of the butt behind the cheek piece. The slig then runs around the butt pad in a loop & allows you to carry the gun hanging barrel down under your trigger arm. To use the gun, just lift into the ready position & carry on. When finished, just lower onto the sling again.

This works well for all carbines, but is not recommended for full length rifles unless you are very tall. I'm 6'1" & a 36" carbine hangs with the muzzle around my knee, you control it when walking with your trigger arm. Sounds more complicated than it is, try it with a mock up to see what I mean.

Chris W.

psnash40 Guest
    Guys thanks for info and references.

Rob, great job but my engineering skills are not up to that kind of job, to be honest unless its simple I'm going to struggle!!!

I'm going to give it a try this weekend all being well I will have a sling'd rifle for next hunting trip!!

Regards Pete