Thread: Pistol for HFT?

Pistol for HFT?

I would welcome thoughts on the best set up for HFT pistol

In the past I used a FWB103 and although it seemed to have good enough power for HFT (it is about 4 ft/lbs), the target sights weren't the easiest to use at variable ranges and sometimes poorly lit/low contrast targets.

As an experiment, I fitted a pistol scope to my HW40 and at 10-12 yards it is fantastic - but out at 20-25 yeards I am struggling to get a decent group (using Daystate Li's). Probably me rather than the pistol/pellets.

I would like to try HFT with an optical sight. What would be a good set up? It would need to be recoiless and I would prefer an SSP (due to their self-contained nature) but would consider a PCP. I am no good at anything mechannical so would need to be able to attach my scope without any fancy fettling.

Relasitically I would like to spend 2-300 pounds, but would also be intersted in hearing about more extravagant options!

ATB

Jon

Jon

Self contained , recoiless and accurate.... your HW40 seems to fit the bill. Ok it's not a full power like an HW45 but it should be more than enough for most nockdown target.
    Get your self either a x2 pistol scope or a a decent red-dot and just practice. Only disadvantage of the over-lever design is it's a little more difficult to close the pistol as you push down around the scope/dot sight - more techneque than strengh.
    Ian
    HW100kt .177, MTC Viper Connect. HW97kt .177, EB Sniper. Brocock .177 Contour XL, Custom Walnut Stock, MTC Viper Connect. Brocock .177 Grand Prix,Walther Red-Dot. HW45 'Silver Star'. Tanfoglio Witness. Walther PPKs. Morrini 'MatchGun' PCP match pistol.

Also check out the HW 75 .177

Suits me OK with a red dot on top
    When you lose,don't lose the lesson

Hi,

I have tried both open and red dot sights on several pistol types.

I still think it is down to what you are used to rather than one type being significantly better than another.

With the open sights do you use a zero directly on the target, or do you set the sights up for sub six aiming? (as many 10m shooters will do) I find this set-up works well on HFT or silhouette targets as you never have to obscure them with the sights.

The 103 would be perfect just as it is for pistol HFT. Great balance, decent power and a great trigger.

Putting a heavy scope or red dot on top of a match PCP does not always improve the balance.

HTH

Mark

What about a HW 45 or a falcon fn 6 or fn 8 pistol the falcon pistols are very accurate if you find a sight system you like (the pistols do not have any sights, only scope rails, the open sights for them are .... well let's just say bad!) my fn 8 is kicking out 5.5 foot pounds and has had a match trigger fitted by Jim Hogan
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

paul4be is offline Everything has an end, only the sausage has two
    Webley Alecto? Seem to be a few being used.

Rohm, Brocock and Falcon all seem popular precharged choices.

I have a scope on my Rohm. It is taking a bit of getting used to, but I think it is going to end up being a better bet for me than a red dot. I am just going to have to practice more!
    Last edited by paul4be; 15-11-2011 at 08:57 PM.
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

Thanks all for your thougths

It is encouraging to hear people are using the HW40s or HW75s (aren't they similar inside?) and I expect it is a case of practising. I have put a JSR scope on it http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products...-pistol-scope-[long-eye-relief---pistol-only].html which is very chunky and with the rear mount located as far back on the weaver rail as it will go, I find it easier to close than without the scope on (putting pressure throught the back mount and palm lightly resting on the scope, it somehow feels more controlled than without).

The FWB is a great gun - I set the rear sight very low so that the top of the sight post was pretty well where the shot went (unlike when indoor target shooting - 'sub six aiming' - I hadn't heard the expression before but it makes sense!). I thought this might be better than the sub six method - but it wasn't always easy to see the target when it was half hidden so maybe I should have tried it the other way. I managed some reasonable (for me) scores, so the set up wasn't too bad - but I do fancy trying a different class (from scope, red dot and open) now.

I think I will see how I get on with the HW40 - if I find the power doesn't cut it on the longer shots (especially if there is wind) I will have a look for a Falcon.

Many thanks again

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Ian666 View Post
    Jon

Self contained , recoiless and accurate.... your HW40 seems to fit the bill. Ok it's not a full power like an HW45 but it should be more than enough for most nockdown target.
    Get your self either a x2 pistol scope or a a decent red-dot and just practice. Only disadvantage of the over-lever design is it's a little more difficult to close the pistol as you push down around the scope/dot sight - more techneque than strengh.
    Ian
    With the HW 45 it cocks on opening, unlike the HW 40 and 75 which cock on closing
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

paul4be is offline Everything has an end, only the sausage has two
    I had a Beeman clone of the '40. I couldn't get on with it at any great distance. It was fine closer in, just I never felt it was up to the job.
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

i have a hw40. it shoots groups at 10 yards nearly as tight as my rifle. i use it for the pistol comps on the winter league. i could do with some sort of sight for it as i really struggle using the open sights. i think the trigger on it is great. it is a little under powered but a really accurate little gun.

Alecto

I forgot to acknowledge Paul4be's suggestion of an Alecto - that certainly should tick all the boxes (though I am a bit adicted to British or German engineering)

Apart from my slight conern about the power of the HW40, I also find getting a good grip with the weight of the scope a bit tricky - it just feels as if it wants to slip forwards out of my hand so I hold it a bit tighter than I really want to. Maybe the Alecto's grip would help in that regard?

As I siad, I will persist with the HW40 for the meantime and if it doesn't work out, look to an Alecto before the Falcon. Anyone out there using an Alecto for HFT?

ATB

Jon