Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HFT tactics

HFT tactics

Well, I am a newbie to this event and trying to get my head round the rules.

I understand that once you have set your rifle up, you are not permitted to touch your scope throughout the competition. Surely if you have targets from 8 - 40 odd a lot of the targets will be compromised.

What's the best distance to set up at ?
    Weihrach WH100 .177, MTC Viper Optics, 5 String Barnes & Mullins Banjo & Wenonah Open canoe.....
    IDEN FERNS CLUB MEMBER

Depends on scope & personal preference, with the mag on 10x I used 23 on my MTC, 20 on my Nikko Sniper & hawke SR 6 was about 30 IIRC. You have to try to find a happy medium, 8 will nearly always be blurred on 10x mag & I used to have 45 just blurred in my MTC, nikko was to clear to have 45 like that. If you drop down to say 8 mag it will be less likely to be blurred dependant on the scope.

HTH
    Steve

Hi,
    I use an Eb sniper 10x42 fixed mag and have set the parralax to about 23.
    It can be useful for rangefinding beacause as the view begins to blur the target is about 12 or 40 yards going to full blur at 8 and 45 yards.
    It can be changed but thats how i like it.

You need to practice down the range to see what setup suits you and your equipment the best across all ranges.

Good luck

Chris

The Oaks SiHFT Winners 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016

I just can't see the killzones, what help do i need??
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by blackscale View Post
    Specsavers
    Making waves since 1971.

Seeing your targets is dependant on the depth of field (DOF) of your scope,
    the better the DOF the more targets you see clearly. Unfortunately these scopes
    cost quite a bit. Normal affordable scopes like hawke, mtc, falcon etc perform quite adequately.
    Get the best glass you can afford and your eyes prefer. Find the point in your parallax range which gives
    you the most clear targets (this differs scope to scope) and persevere and practice. Have fun
    Unfortunately as current HFT rules stand the guy with the deeper pockets has an advantage
    If all shooters could see the targets as clear as everyone else it would be about skill and not "kit"

Have a look at this, I found it very useful.

http://www.bfto.org.uk/hfthints.htm

Si
    The OAKS
    SIHFT WINNERS 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016

My tactics are: turn up knowing all your aim points for each distance and the correspondence between clarity of the sight picture and range, ie by setting the mag and parallax you can judge distance by how in or out of focus the target is. Add to this the discipline to ensure a perfect shot let off. These can only be learned through practice and familiarity with your kit.

Then and only then can you introduce my secret weapon...the element of ignoring the lot at the crucial point. I must say I've become very good at that recently
    http://www.ford-hft.org.uk
    You come into this world with nothing, go out in debt and you've made a profit

Keep shooting at the plate as usual Seems to work well enough for you

what mag are you shooting on and what do you have your paralax set at?

i use 10mag and have my paralax set at 25yards. 8 yards is blurred but shootable and all other ranges are clear. some people also bracket using their scope by messuring the target with the dots on their scope. i normally just get down and shoot. each to their own.

i get mixed results from guessing the ranges where as people who bracket can be quite accurate with their ranges.

what scope do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by poison dwarf View Post
    cost quite a bit. Normal affordable scopes like hawke, mtc, falcon etc perform quite adequately.
    Get the best glass you can afford and your eyes prefer. Find the point in your parallax range which gives
    you the most clear targets (this differs scope to scope) and persevere and practice. Have fun
    Unfortunately as current HFT rules stand the guy with the deeper pockets has an advantage
    If all shooters could see the targets as clear as everyone else it would be about skill and not "kit"
    so true and love the last two lines
    for those who cannot see
    HW 100 Carbine .177
    HW77k .22 tuned by Lyn Lewington

Sorry but you are beyond all help !!

The Oaks SiHFT Winners 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016

:
    you have opened your flip ups havnt you?

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Quote Originally Posted by poison dwarf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby1 View Post
    so true and love the last two lines
    for those who cannot see
    Not necessarily, just drop the mag. My best result this year was with a scope that cost me £120 and it's as good for HFT as anything I've got worth 10x that!
    Last edited by Charlts; 16-11-2011 at 11:14 PM.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    Not necessarily, just drop the mag. My best result this year was with a scope that cost me £120 and it's as good for HFT as anything I've got worth 10x that!
    Would you care to share which scope that was? The best results for me were from the little EFR, who needs fancy rets eh?
    Purbeck Field Target Club.