35 years after getting rid of my .177 ASI "Sniper" and 18 years after selling my PSE Compound Bow I decided to get back into shooting again.

I've started taking shotgun lessons, I'm booked onto a beginners Archery course and I joined my local Air Rifle Shooting club.

I took my Dad's SMK XS17 up there but was frustrated with the truly dreadful trigger and more than impressed with the old HW77s club guns. The HW77s have been used and abused but still seemed tight as a drum and solid as a rock, with a lovely trigger. I decided I needed a bit of quality in my life.

I spent 2 weeks solidly researching opinions on the web and having a few shots on different guns at the club. I got it down to a few contenders (I doubt the final contenders will come as any surprise to you experienced lot).

Air Arms TX200 or Pro Sport
Weihrauch HW97 or HW98

I came within a few minutes of buying the TX200 ("tuned straight out of the box") but, when it came to actually shouldering the guns, nothing felt quite as natural as the HW97KT. I love the adjustable Butt Plate and thumbhole. Everything falls naturally to place I find. My wrist always feels slightly "cocked" when I'm holding a sporter stock.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...ws/HW97KTc.jpg

I realise that it may take a tuning kit to realise its full potential but, honestly, it's by far and away the best quality Air Rifle I've ever held.

I'll post some more in the reviews section as I get used to the gun (I must have got the bug because I just bought an old HW35, with a scuffed-up stock, for £100 which I've yet to see in the flesh)