Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classification of Co2 pistols

Classification of Co2 pistols

Hi there chaps. This is my first post, so as is customary on the internet I've come to pester you with questions.
    I was wondering if anyone could clear up an issue for me.
    I am looking at purchasing a Co2 pistol, but was wondering as to what they were classified. The problem is that I am not sure of the legal status of the guns that I am considering buying:

1. Tanfoglio Witness 1911 -Co2, 4.5mm bb
    2. Wingun Sport 7 (identical to the ASG Dan Wesson) -Co2,6mm bb http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/...atid=7&cat=668

Are either or both of these classified as RIFs (realsitic imitation firearms)? I am not an airsofter, so except for target practice I have no 'defence' in owning either.
    Any clarification on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

They are classed as air pistols. You do not need to be an airsofter to but these in the uk. Just make sure they don't go over the 6ftlbs power ranged (the witness and revolved you mentioned are about half of that).

Quote Originally Posted by Hardacre View Post
    Hi there chaps. This is my first post, so as is customary on the internet I've come to pester you with questions.
    I was wondering if anyone could clear up an issue for me.
    I am looking at purchasing a Co2 pistol, but was wondering as to what they were classified. The problem is that I am not sure of the legal status of the guns that I am considering buying:

1. Tanfoglio Witness 1911 -Co2, 4.5mm bb
    2. Wingun Sport 7 (identical to the ASG Dan Wesson) -Co2,6mm bb http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/...atid=7&cat=668

Are either or both of these classified as RIFs (realsitic imitation firearms)? I am not an airsofter, so except for target practice I have no 'defence' in owning either.
    Any clarification on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
    No, they are too powerful and are therefore classified as firearms not requiring a licence (as are all air rifles/pistols as long as they are below 12ftlbs and 6ft lbs respectively).

Provided you are over 18yrs of age you will be able to buy either of the guns you have entioned without requiring any form of licence or belonging to any club or society.
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

Thanks for the swift responses.
    The second gun I mentioned actually fires 6mm bbs and is fairly 'real' in terms of looks, is this still classed as an 'air gun'?
    I'm a little confused, as it seems some gun dealers sell things like dan wesson 6mm revlovers without requiring the a defence for purchasing it, whilst other online retailers sell exactly the same thing but require UKARA membership.
    E.g.:
    UKARA required: http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/ac...r_Pistols.html(near the bottom of the page)
    Not required : http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/prod...mm-air-pistol/

Any thoughts?

Absolutely no problems with them, for me these are the most fun type of guns you can own.

They really are all mouth and no trousers (mine develop 1.5-2 FPE), and they are only tin can accurate, but shooting them is great fun. You will not be disappointed with either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BobSki View Post
    No, they are too powerful and are therefore classified as firearms not requiring a licence (as are all air rifles/pistols as long as they are below 12ftlbs and 6ft lbs respectively).

Provided you are over 18yrs of age you will be able to buy either of the guns you have entioned without requiring any form of licence or belonging to any club or society.
    OK, so having done some research I think I have come to the same conclusion. The guns mentioned above both seem to shoot above 1.35 Joules and are powered by Co2, which would make them airguns, in the eyes of the law. Being airguns they are classified as a type of firearm. Therefore they cannot be realistic imitation firearms (RIFs), because they are actual firearms.

This being the case, do you think HMRC would give me much grief if I purchased such a gun from abroad?

Thanks for your help guys.

I wouldn't bother buying from abroad if its mail order, its not worth it.

I've heard fairly mixed things about importing from abroad. It would seem that its mostly down to luck as to whether customs investigate/seize a package.
    But given that I am now confident that the item I want to bring into the country is not against the law or breaking any regulations, I am inclined to ordering from abroad. If it does get seized then at least I can produce evidence to HMRC that the item is legit.

Why order from abroad though?, with shipping added on and then anything customs add on surely its going to cost more.

What if your guns dont arrive? What if customs open them up to investigate the packages and damage them? What if you have a warranty problem?

It just not worth it for 2 guns that are available quite cheaply in the UK.

I've heard fairly mixed things about importing from abroad. It would seem that its mostly down to luck as to whether customs investigate/seize a package.
    But given that I am now confident that the item I want to bring into the country is not against the law or breaking any regulations, I am inclined to ordering from abroad. If it does get seized then at least I can produce evidence to HMRC that the item is legit.
    Insanity frankly.

Even though what you order may well be perfectly legitimate and you can produce evidence to "prove it" it means naught, because if they are so minded they will just tell you of their intention to destroy it, and you will then be left in the unenviable position of legally challenging them in court, a costly business.

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Why order from abroad though?, with shipping added on and then anything customs add on surely its going to cost more.

What if your guns dont arrive? What if customs open them up to investigate the packages and damage them? What if you have a warranty problem?

It just not worth it for 2 guns that are available quite cheaply in the UK.
    Exactly. ^^^^ wise words.

In terms of cost it would seem that even with customs charges/duties it would still work out a bit cheaper. As you suggest though, the deciding factor is how much of a pain in the a*se HMRC want to be. My instincts tell me that they would probably want to make things difficult. I'm not really decided on this, so I'll have to look into it a bit more, but thanks a lot for all your advice.

In terms of cost it would seem that even with customs charges/duties it would still work out a bit cheaper. As you suggest though, the deciding factor is how much of a pain in the a*se HMRC want to be. My instincts tell me that they would probably want to make things difficult. I'm not really decided on this, so I'll have to look into it a bit more, but thanks a lot for all your advice.

Do yourself a favour dude and forget the idea completely! Just as an example, to buy from Pyramyd Air and ship to the UK including duty and admin fees it would cost over £230. You can buy both guns new from Mcavoys for £195.

You're probably right, I guess these guns are fairly low end and not really worth the hassle of importing. I might do a bit more digging to see how uncooperative customs are likely to be, otherwise I suppose I'll limit myself to searching within the UK for the moment.
    Thanks guys.

Sniff! Sniff!

Mmm!

Sniffle?

T rifling
    R edolent
    O dour
    L urkingly
    L atent

Who is supposed to be the troll?