timdiscus Guest

painting buddy botles

Can it be done and if so what paint woul you use

thanks

tim

Sniper 296 Guest
    I was going to try green and brown hammerite on mine

timdiscus Guest
    i know you get slight expansion and contraction so i was thinking more along the lines of model paint thinking this may give a bit and not crack

I tend to rub down to the base metal,spray with etching paint,then spray with plasticote (sp)satin finish.

timdiscus Guest
    where can you get that

Halfords!.

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atheo
    I tend to rub down to the base metal,spray with etching paint,then spray with plasticote (sp)satin finish.
    Right on the money, if you're going back to bare metal then etch primer is a must, otherwise the new paint will eventually flake.

If you don't want to do a complete bare metal respray, then simply wet flat any chips or scratches to a smoothe contour, spot prime (etch primer again on bare metal) key the rest of the bottle, then paint over with your chosen finish.

Cellulose aerosols don't give a very durable finish at all, either go for plasticote or if you have access to a compressor and airline, go with 2-pack.

HTH.

loiner1965 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam
    Right on the money, if you're going back to bare metal then etch primer is a must, otherwise the new paint will eventually flake.

If you don't want to do a complete bare metal respray, then simply wet flat any chips or scratches to a smoothe contour, spot prime (etch primer again on bare metal) key the rest of the bottle, then paint over with your chosen finish.

Cellulose aerosols don't give a very durable finish at all, either go for plasticote or if you have access to a compressor and airline, go with 2-pack.

HTH.
    only thing better than 2 pack is powder coating and that is a bu@@er to remove,,,,,,, it depends on how well you want your £600 plus gun to look,,,,nice walnut stock,,,,,leupold / scope and a tacky spray can finish buddy bottle

loiner1965 Guest
    might spray these bottles if interest is good,,,,,and cost of paint

bjr Guest
    what about hard anodizing? very hard wearing

tulliola Guest
    sanding down to remove the paint will not damage the bottle as when they are tested a stamp it cut into the surface i just hammerite mine biggest problem is the alloy surface tends to oxidise in harsh conditions

Go the whole hog and chrome 'em. No good for hunting like, but well snazzy.

timdiscus Guest
    Looks good in matt grey! going to finnish it in matt green though. Thats about as far as my artistic skills go.

Thumbs up painting buddy bottles

I painted one with plasticote nut brown enamel just went lightly over it with 600 wet & dry to give it a key wiped over with some thinners on a rag to remove dust let it evaporate off & spray no cracks or flaking in 6 years

cheers john
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.