Thread: p17

p17

i'm probably gonna get laughed out of town here , but is the beeman p17 really as bad as its made out ?
    all UK reviews seem to just call it a bag of poo whereas nigh on all U.S. reviews say its great
    if you were to buy 1 & straight out of the box , strip it , de-burr the inlet hole , lube up all o-rings & piston , would it still be so bad ?
    just curious as it appears to be the quietest pistol i can find with a reasonable price tag & if i'm to do any plinking in the garage then it has to whisper as the oh has some of her rabbits in there & the constant pop from a springer or co2 would scare em to death & subsequently result in my testicles being removed & dangled from the washing line
    also how comes it costs 3 times the U.S. price over here ? another government tax on anything remotely enjoyable no doubt

They are great if you know how to keep them running, but there not quiet!!!. My two aren't anyway. 1377's are much quieter.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

well if nothing else it will give me some much needed insight into the maintenance of an air pistol
    i did look at the 1377 but tbh it looks like a rifle with a pistol grip , it looks so long
    i havent seen 1 in the flesh yet but ive looked on youtube etc & seen them in the hand .
    maybe i'll try to see both together & judge better .

The 1377 is long, yes, but only really when comparing with very compact pistols.
    They are amazingly accurate things. On three pumps it's very quiet and it's really only when using 7 or more that it stars to crack.
    G-Mac will do a silencer adaptor for them, so even on full power with a silencer fitted, it'll still be quiet.
    HUGE customising community for these and the Ratbuster derivatives.
    Easy to look after/strip/modify if required. A superb, very underrated pistol for not a lot of money.
    GET ONE!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

just found a fairly local shop that carries both pistols so looks like i might have to go pay a visit

I bought a beeman p17 a while back and used it for the first time today.
    Closing it takes a lot of effort and it makes a loud pop.
    Personally, I think its a great pistol, super light and the trigger on mine is excellent.
    Every quarrel begins in nothing and ends in a struggle for supremacy
    http://3d-accessories.simplesite.com

Not sure how it compares pricewise, but I had a Webley Alecto from new for a while and found it great fun to use. It was fairly accurate even in my hands and with the three pump action covers different distances well. In addition the adjustable palm shelf helps to fit your hands better.
    Regards, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by discotwo View Post
    Not sure how it compares pricewise, but I had a Webley Alecto from new for a while and found it great fun to use. It was fairly accurate even in my hands and with the three pump action covers different distances well. In addition the adjustable palm shelf helps to fit your hands better.
    looks & seems like a nice pistol , but its about 3 or 4 times the price of the beeman & over twice the price of the 1377 .
    i'm deffo trying to stay on a reasonable budget here as its pretty much my first bash with pistols & will be in effect a tester to gauge what i want/dont want from a pistol .
    with a view to spending a bit more at a later date on something a bit more 'me'
    plus i'm useless when it comes to buying stuff , i go in with a price in my head & everything i look at thats just a little bit more is viable & before you know it i've tripled what i'm spending & never noticed going off budget
    went for a cheap £100 4 man tent & after looking at everything they had & things getting bigger & more expensive the further i walked , i ended up with a 9 man mansion tent @ £400+
    so yeah the budget is limited for now

Quote Originally Posted by salad dodger View Post
    well if nothing else it will give me some much needed insight into the maintenance of an air pistol
    i did look at the 1377 but tbh it looks like a rifle with a pistol grip , it looks so long
    i havent seen 1 in the flesh yet but ive looked on youtube etc & seen them in the hand .
    maybe i'll try to see both together & judge better .
    If You have to stick to the criteria of shooting the length of a garage, and being kind to the bunny's ( noise wise) plus reasonable price, definitely think of the 1377. If you get P17, just shoot and enjoy until you start losing pressure (which might not happen if you drop on a lucky one) Then look first at the o ring on the piston. You can the sget all eals from B&Q( plumbsure). Check out "1942nuclear" on YouTube for easy maintenance. You will only need 3 or 4 easy pumps on 1377 in garage.
    Last edited by peteswright; 03-05-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    If You have to stick to the criteria of shooting the length of a garage, and being kind to the bunny's ( noise wise) plus reasonable price, definitely think of the 1377. If you get P17, just shoot and enjoy until you start losing pressure (which might not happen if you drop on a lucky one) Then look first at the o ring on the piston. You can the sget all eals from B&Q( plumbsure). Check out "1942nuclear" on YouTube for easy maintenance. You will only need 3 or 4 easy pumps on 1377 in garage.
    yeah i've already had a good look at 1942nuclear & the p17 looks quite easy to work on .
    i'll try to be impartial when i go look at them in the flesh

do most dealers have demo's you can handle ? or is everything boxed & sealed ?
    would be nice to get a feel before forking out

oh & anyone know where to get the aftermarket steel breech for the 1377 ?

yeah i've already had a good look at 1942nuclear & the p17 looks quite easy to work on .
    i'll try to be impartial when i go look at them in the flesh

do most dealers have demo's you can handle ? or is everything boxed & sealed ?
    would be nice to get a feel before forking out
    Some have facilities for tryouts, but not many in my experience. If you do dry fire pneumatics in the shop, bare in mind that they are a bit louder when shot with pellet loaded. The breach seal for the 1377 looks to me like the smallest one you get in plumsuerpack from B&Q, but Ive not actually tried it. The packs that I use for P17's are, Mixed o rings 1/16" and Mixed o rings 3/32". About £1.49 per pack!!! Also, Im currently using magic9 oil instead of recommended white lithium grease with success. Oops. Just noticed you asked bout steel breach, not breach seal, sorry!!! You don't have to get sucked into all the aftermarket stuff, they work just fine as they are.
    Last edited by peteswright; 03-05-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    You don't have to get sucked into all the aftermarket stuff, they work just fine as they are.
    it was for the scope mount really , as the 1377 doesnt have a rail on the original plastic breech
    i didnt much like the look of the weird barrel clamps designed for it

it was for the scope mount really , as the 1377 doesnt have a rail on the original plastic breech
    i didnt much like the look of the weird barrel clamps designed for it
    Steel breach!!! Scope mount!!! Scope!!! Slippery slope?

tell me about it !
    i must have spent 3 hrs today youtubeing & googling specs & parts & mods
    trouble is i just keep discovering more & more that grabs my eye & goes on the wishlist