Thread: MTC Genesis 5-20 x 50

Thumbs up MTC Genesis 5-20 x 50

MTC Genesis 5-20 x 50

The quest was to find a new scope to compliment my new .243 T3; it had to have a fairly high mag for the target stuff, it also had double up as a varmint scope, it had to be capable at night, it had to deal with the recoil of the .243 AND had to be cost effective, BUT I didn’t want any old tat.. Not much to ask surely?
    Having had a few MTC scopes in the past and found them to be more than adequate, when I heard about the new Genesis scope I guessed it would be rude not to at least try it out. Being in touch with my feminine side; I was also quite chuffed to learn that MTC where doing the Genesis not only in the standard black but had resurrected the silver paint tin to offer the blingy silver finish of old !

The scope arrived in large black box with a magnetic catch type affair – very posh indeed. Inside was the scope (well protected), a sunshade, a battery for the IR and a tiny hex key. I was also very pleased to see that the scope was already fitted with Butler Creek flip ups either end, a very nice and welcome inclusion indeed
    First impression was that the scope was quite heavy for its size but had a very solid feel to it. In comparison to the Viper (x24) it was actually much lighter. A large parallax knob on the side and two quite large turret covers, there was also an off-set dial and battery compartment for the IR on the eye piece end. On removing the turret caps I found some large (re-settable) chunky target turrets – just my cup of tea

The scope was mounted to the rifle using Optilock rings and bases. A plumb line and rail mounted spirit level where used to align it properly. I had not adjusted the turrets as I wanted to check how optically centred it was out of the box. A laser bore sighter showed it to be out by only a few inches @ 25yards ; good enough to get onto paper The adjustment clicks on the turrets where an absolute joy to use : very, very chunky, positive clicks that moved the ret exactly as expected; probably the best adjustment I have ever had the pleasure of on an MTC scope.

The sight picture is very good with only a very small amount of bleed around the outer edge; many users would not notice or have concern for this. Head position as per my Vipers is a little fussy but if you get to know your correct cheek position on the stock it isn’t a major problem. Light transmission is very good with excellent light gathering at night or dusk. High mag in very bright conditions can cause some flaring.

The AMD ret is new to me and found it to be perfect for my needs and actually favour it over the SCB now. There is much less ‘info’ to it and suits flat shooting calibres perfectly. The illumination lights just the centre cross, handy if you shoot using your zero but difficult for hold over shots using the mil dots at night which to be honest is something I don’t do..

The Genesis is certainly a very capable scope and the quality of MTCs products appears to just get better and better with each new model. A worthy investment.
    Making waves since 1971.

good review thanks for posting. I'm thinking about getting one.

The AMD ret would suit me just fine.

MTC Genesis

John knibbs has these up for £275 at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by benchstop View Post
    bargain, i could do with a deal because Ive just dipped in to the gun fund and got
    an ipad 2. i do like a bargain though

That IS a bargain !
    Making waves since 1971.

Unfortunately, not a bargain if they have none in stock.

I think I will be buying one of these anyway.

John.
    HW95k cal .177, Simmons WTC 1.5-5 x 20. CZ 452 American .22LR, MTC Mamba 3-12 x 44IR.

Verminator 66 is offline I Will Never Find Another Ewe
    I have just bought one and 1st impression
    OMFG what a scope

all my tests start with out of the box on the scope rest and make sure all works well before mounting

its a v-mount front and back that will hold the scope still wile you try the turrets, just to make sure it all works for wind-eg and elevation
    as been said seems verry well built with B/C covers that's a plus for a start

IR ret works well with the AMD + just lit found this a big plus on my Connect

with the turret caps 1st twist and they do feel well made and once they are off you have the turrets
    Once the + is lined up with a mark on the wall I will then twist the turrets back and for,

this was a real shock for me as every click was really positive and moved the ret accordingly
    went clock wise in a square 10 clicks and was back on 1st zero so all working A1

glass looks the best I have seen out of the MTC range just looking through it

will be mounting it later this week on my steyr and giving it a field test As soon as I feel up to it.
    But like all the MTC scopes I have had so far cant see a prob with that

One thing I did like is the IR button is forward enough to put a Add-on on the back Nicely that's what 1st caught my eye with this scope

Quote Originally Posted by JollyJohn View Post
    Unfortunately, not a bargain if they have none in stock.

I think I will be buying one of these anyway.

John.
    I wonder if he sold them all, or never had any in the first place.

I wonder if he sold them all, or never had any in the first place.
    seen that with a few store's were they get you in on a deal but none in stock

just bloody proved it at Asda, Wife just came back said 5 copy's of a X-Box game I wanted for the boy was on the shelf
    saying save £25 only £25 instead of £50 .
    Took it to the counter sorry none in stock after saying they had them on the phone

Why the hell put them out if they haven't got them
    Had this before

What a waste of Fuel and bloody time

Genisis

Its a shame MTC cannot stop the Flaring or whiting out on higher mag in bright conditions, my experience with their scopes is the same. They are fantastic in every way solid well made and good Ret`s . But the whiting out annoys the hell out of me. I know the price point is super, but I use a £100 leapers and that does not do it. Does that happen because the etched ret is not coated? or the lenses are not fully multi-coated on all surfaces?
    Its a shame as i am in the market for a budget target scope/Varmint, i will look at the Falcon range
    Norfolk Tom CZ HMR VARMINT SIMMONDS WHITETAIL CLASSIC 3.5-10 x 50 WA, REMINGTON 700PSS .243 MEOPTA 7x50, CZ .22LR LEAPERS SWAT, LANBER 12g SPORTER OVER AND UNDER, CZ 452 22LR Ruger 10/22 22LR

It says on the MTC website that the genesis is in development with other magnification ranges. Does anyone wnow what these are?

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    It says on the MTC website that the genesis is in development with other magnification ranges. Does anyone wnow what these are?
    I understand the next Genesis is a 4-12x44 ultra light version.

Doug...
    All generalisations are dangerous, even this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug F View Post
    I understand the next Genesis is a 4-12x44 ultra light version.

Doug...
    yes think that will be right on the spot for huntting

as for whiting out, haven't had that prob yet
    But then again would like to see the sun
    Havent seen it for 5-6 months now

Genesis

Thanks for the positive review & other comments. Just bought one of these, found one in stock near Northwich & managed to prise a good deal out of them.
    I started off with nothing & still have most of it left!