Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMK CP2 Upgrading

SMK CP2 Upgrading

Any advice on upgrading the SMK CP2, can you change the small 12g co2 for anything bigger?
    Is they any upgrades for it ?
    TIA

LordR

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    what do you want to acheive ?
    power, accurcay, shot count, smoothness, balance, trigger ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by lordrodders View Post
    Any advice on upgrading the SMK CP2, can you change the small 12g co2 for anything bigger?
    Is they any upgrades for it ?
    TIA

LordR
    Any size of CO2 container will only produce the same pressure of around 830 p.s.i. depending on temperature.

Baz
    [IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Any size of CO2 container will only produce the same pressure of around 830 p.s.i. depending on temperature.

Baz
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I understand that, Im wanting more shot per canister, not sure if you can convert to HPA ..

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    what do you want to acheive ?
    power, accurcay, shot count, smoothness, balance, trigger ?
    Good question .. all of the above
    Mainly power, co2 upgrade and trigger smoothness. The gun shoots okay as it is but would like abit more power, defiantly want to be able to shoot more than the little 12g canisters offer.

TIA
    LordR

then the most economical route is to sell the gun and buy something more suitable...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    then the most economical route is to sell the gun and buy something more suitable...
    More suitable for what? main thing i want is more shots, must be someone who has done a conversion of some sort .. ?

More suitable for what? main thing i want is more shots, must be someone who has done a conversion of some sort .. ?
    You should get quite a few shots from the 12 grm CO2. Converting to HPA means that you will have to have a separate tank with hose as the cylinder on the CP2 is very small volume to get many shots if charged with air. The CP2 is normally quite good on power out of the box especially using the long barrel. If it is low you can change the hammer spring which is the easiest mod.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 30-01-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Thanks for the reply!
    I have actually ordered the ‘upgraded’ spring a few days ago, what does it actually do how does it make more power ?
    Completely new to the co2 side of things 🤣

Thanks for the reply!
    I have actually ordered the ‘upgraded’ spring a few days ago, what does it actually do how does it make more power ?
    Completely new to the co2 side of things 🤣
    It causes the steel hammer to hit the gas release valve harder and stay open a tiny bit longer. The power will go up, but you will get even less shots. With the short barrel fitted you will have to check that it is doing less than 6 ft.lb. energy to stay within the law. The temperature also has an effect, in the Summer warmth the power will go up.

Baz

this is what I mean... you want more power and more shots...

The hammer spring may well give you more power, but certainly less shots - as per Baz's post above.

HPA conversion means you should sell the gun and buy a proper PCP - it'll be cheaper, better, safer, easier to sell, and legal. I really don't get people effectively building thier own PCPs from cheap chinese CO2 guns

So I think you should list out your reqs, e.g.

10 foot pounds min
    at least 30 shots
    not cost more than £200
    accuracy sub 1" at 30 yards
    use in winter

If that list correlates to your reqs, the answer would be to sell and buy something else. A second hand chinese PCP for example, will do all the above easily. I bough a AGS PCR-1 for £165 a few years ago.. 11 FP, easy 1" at 35 yards, about 30 shots in the sweet spot (but groups at 35 yards don't start to drop until you get to 40+ shots)
    A decent pump will cost you £50 secondhand. And I can pretty much guarantee getting my money back, if I choose to sell.

And to prove I'm not anti CO2, here my own list for a Crosman CO2 (12g, like yours) gun I made up fo my son:

500 fps in .22 for decent trajectory over 25 yards max = ~ 8 foot pounds
    at least 20 shots
    cost minimal
    sub 1" at 25 yards
    use in fair weather as he's a wuss

The gun acheives the above, and all I did was one efficiency mod, nothing for power.

I have a few CO2 pistols as well, including a cp1 and a couple of CO2 rifles. They are what they are... If you are set on CO2, and want more power and shots, get a QB78 (still not ideal in winter).

I have a CP2 and enjoy it for what it is. As said don’t waste time and money meddling when the money would be better spent on something more suitable to the requirements.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

you can buy a a powerlet eliminator that allows you to connect a regulated paitball tank to it via a remote line
    as the tank connects to the valve you could run this at a much higher pressure than the norm
    you can get something similar that allows the 13ci tank to be connected to the gun direct without a hose
    these can be done two ways direct to valve or by pressurising the tube(a new valve front is req and you have to cut the tube to ,mount the gas block
    trigger wise a bush and general polish of contact points helps smooth it and a better hammer spring guide and a top hat can stop spring twang whilst giving a slight inc in tension without using the heavy hammer spring which isn't needed and can cause cocking bolt failure atr the thread
    increase cocking bolt diameter and thread size to stop bolt jump and lessen the chance of snapping it if you were to fit the silly hammer spring

Good advice from Rob and Jon, rather sell the CP2, or keep it as it is and get something else more suitable. As a CO2 rifle I like the QB78 as there are a lot of mods that you can do to it and you have 2 x 12 grm CO2.

Baz

Thanks for all the advice lads!
    Just been offered a HW97K for mine, is this a good deal and what are they like?

Thanks