Thread: What is the new target shooters stance

What is the new target shooters stance

Hi have seen a post on this subject below this one.My club as a one a month comp so would like to learn anything new is there a link with photos about this subject sorry it's for air guns and targets range from 45yds down to 8 yds with 30 targets in all I use a wh100 which is no lite weight I'm ok until about 3/4 through then I can't seem to hold the rifle steady I don't want to change my rifle for a lighter one as I do well in the earlier stages I'm only nearly 60 yrs old so am still strong but I think my stances are wrong probably in standing and kneeling prone seems ok and with out going into to much detail what is a hunters stance when shooting opposed to target shooting any link with photos would help me sort my self out thank you for taking the time to read this post Frank
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

as a hunter I only really have 3 positions and that's prone with a bi pod, standing with the gun supported against or on something and sitting. the first 2 being self explanatory but when sitting I have my bottom and feet positioned firmly and as flat as possible with both knees up high. as I'm right handed I have my right hand holding the grip and aiming 90degrees to my left with my right elbow on my right knee. my left elbow bend and rested on my left knee with the forend of the gun resting in the crook of my left elbow and left hand resting on my right wrist/forearm. its a very stable and comfortable position, I can sit still like that for quite a while
    Seal sets for the SMK XS78 QB78 TH78 XS79 AirGuns ~ £5 each posted

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero58 View Post
    with out going into to much detail what is a hunters stance when shooting opposed to target shooting any link with photos would help me sort my self out thank you for taking the time to read this post Frank
    For standing:

Target: Body 90' to target. Forward elbow tucked in tight, onto hip if possible, to support rifle through bones. Ideally, no movement of the rifle.

Hunting: Body 45' to prey. Forward elbow off body. Arm and gun aim free to move over quite a wide arc.

Difference: targets don't move!
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

Here's a link to the Civilian Marksmenship Program from the U.S which shows how they teach beginners 3P. Not a bad starting point...

stance

Have a look at BAR Blackpool air rifles and on the right hand side there a piece about hft shooting positions, prone kneeling and standin with pictures. all the info you will need.

wab

Lightbulb

Thank you all for your help in this post and sharing your grate experience with me I will have a go at all that as been said and will study the links you have kindly given me merry Christmas to you one and all Frank
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

Sounds to me like your issue is simple - you're not resting!

All you need to do is rest between shots. In Olympic 3P, you take your time over each shot, about 10s (for my students anyway) is spent with the rifle on the stand to allow muscles to recover from static work. It's also a good opportunity to break stance and rebuild before the next shot, compulsory if you ever want to move onto shooting bigger calibres, where you have to rebuild each shot anyway! The HW100 is a lovely rifle, and there's nothing wrong with it. If anything, I find it's not heavy enough! I'd like to put one in an anatomical stock one day.

I don't know if you're local to Brighton Frank, but if you are, message me and we'll sort you out a free coaching session.

Of course, I'm assuming you mean standing shooting, offhand, olympic style.