Thread: Tanfoglio Witness 1911 oiling?

Tanfoglio Witness 1911 oiling?

This is my first gun and all the parts are 100% working. It is full metal and after having it for a short while, it was beginning to scratch so I was wondering whether someone could tell me how/if can lubricate it.
    Many thanks.
    Jack

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    I use a drop of CO2 Gun Oil on the top of every 3rd CO2 in blowback guns, it seems to get everywhere else that matters too.
    Grease or a Dri-Slide type Moly or PTFE spray on dry compound on the slide,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

on mine i use a light covering of silcon oil on the moving parts such as the slide and use a cloth with wd40 just to wipe over the exterior.
    over time the finish will wear but i think that adds character

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Be careful with silicone oil on metal moving parts - it has no film strength, doesn't reduce wear and makes a lovely grinding compound when the chewed up bits of metal (which it creates) mix in with it.
    Silicone oil is great for plastic to plastic and plastic to metal but is NOT for metal to metal unless it has other friction modifiers added (and then you'll be relying on the modifiers, not the oil),
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Dont think of it as scratching, just think of it as character. Once you get a set of wood grips on it and let it bed in it will look like any other issued 1911A1 pistol!

After a few months of heavy use including speed draw practice out of a holster mine is developing a nice patina with paint loss around a number of the extremities. I like the look of cared for pistols with obvious signs of being used as the designers intended

I use moly grease on the slide and other metal to metal surfaces and M9D oil in the plastic components

Thanks nick for your advice regarding silicon oil