Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Bowkett parts company with BSA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

John Bowkett parts company with BSA

I heard a rumour and after checking can confirm that he is moving on after designing all BSAs pcps from the Superten to current. He didn't want to elaborate but said he has several exciting new designs that he has developed over the past year but as a freelance feels he has over the years put too many eggs in one basket.

JB

John is a true 'Airgun Genteleman'

I've had the privilege to meet John on several occasions and had numerous very interesting phone conversation with him. He's also worked on my guns and his work is first class.

I wish John all the very best wherever he goes and I look forward to seeing what he has up his sleeve.
    Last edited by MartynB; 21-12-2011 at 05:50 PM.

I've never met JB in person, but I've always admired his designs; he is definitely an innovator, and I've felt sorry that by the time the rifles reach the public, they've been built down to a price, hence the need for "bowketting."

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

I'm still very suspicious as to the goings on at BSA lately. All the earmarks of previous companies that used to exist.
    Weihrauch B&C HW95K, B&C HW35K, BAM B26-2 venoman custom, QB78 DL custom.
    You ain't so big, you jus' tall, tha's all.
    http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by uk litehammer View Post
    I'm still very suspicious as to the goings on at BSA lately. All the earmarks of previous companies that used to exist.
    Often happens when companies are run by accountants rather than innovators. Lack of innovation equals lack of new products and market stagnation. Accountant's solution is to make cuts - gives the apperance of working in the short term but when all the fat has gone, they start cutting into the muscle. Bye bye...

Seen it with many of my clients in the past.
    El-bow, the Spanish Archer

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by pablowatercolor View Post
    Often happens when companies are run by accountants rather than innovators. Lack of innovation equals lack of new products and market stagnation. Accountant's solution is to make cuts - gives the apperance of working in the short term but when all the fat has gone, they start cutting into the muscle. Bye bye...

Seen it with many of my clients in the past.
    How true you speak, it's happening with my company for the past couple of years, lets hope that JB goes to a company that really appreciate his designs.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

i met john a couple of years ago when he bought my titan pistol of me, it was one of the only guns that he had designed that he never had in his collection and as a kind gesture he serviced my titan mc010 for free, he is a top bloke and i wish him all the best in whatever he has planned

atb paul

Guess he was getting a bit frustrated by companies changing the specs of his designs to lower quality which caused significant problems in the early models - which unfairly, reflected on him.

Longbenton North Tyneside. +Dinnington FTC.

Thumbs up JB.

JB tuned a HW77 for me in the mid 80s, it remains the best springer Ive ever shot, won several opens with it.
    I wish him all the best in whatever his new venture is, the guys a great asset to the air gunning community.

Bit more for you..

He told me last weekthat he had "a new project that wouldn't tread on BSA's toes & was something people wouldn't normally associate him with.."
    I can only think its a Co2 gun because he's been involved with all other types of mechanism??
    Amazingly I have 5 different rifles /pistols that he has designed for three different manafactures!
    "Putting a country take on things..."

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    Guess he was getting a bit frustrated by companies changing the specs of his designs to lower quality which caused significant problems in the early models - which unfairly, reflected on him.
    Yes, I fear you are very right on that. I had the priveledge to hold and discuss his prototype R10 (He had just blueprinted and FAC'd my S10). The gun he designed was awesome with a walnut stock with magnetic cut outs for two spare mags, it balanced and functioned beautifully. Then the BSA H&S department decided a drop test was required and changed the trigger wieght, after that the accountants took over and decided some of the features he specified were too expensive and after that they gave it (apparently) to some less experienced staff to assemble.......and we know what happened next.

I still smile when I shoot my S10 (JB'd over two years ago - untouched since)- little fingernail size groups at 40yds in FAC. John Bowkett, god bless you sir, a true gunsmith. I look forward to seeing more.

Take care, Matt
    All in black, all in black, gives wabbits a heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    John is a true 'Airgun Genteleman'

I've had the privilege to meet John on several occasions and had numerous very interesting phone conversation with him. He's also worked on my guns and his work is first class.

I wish John all the very best wherever he goes and I look forward to seeing what he has up his sleeve.
    Hear Hear!

I have a number of 'Bowketted' rifles and have spoken to John on many occasions, but sadly never had the pleasure of meeting him personally, but would love to fulfil that void in the future.

only met him 3 times. once when i took a stalker rifle to him to fac. second time when i picked it up couldnt meet a nicer guy. very helpful and has some very good designs.

i also had one of his 1st over barrel carbon mods. he has made them even better now and the 3rd time i met him is when he took a 22lr semi auto in for a friend of mine to collect. he didn't charge him anything for doing it.

but my mate gave him some money for his trouble. couldnt ask for better service then that. not only that if john works on your rifle and something did go wrong. which isnt often i bet he will sort it free of charge even if its years and years later.

how many rfd's would do that for you

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie g View Post
    only met him 3 times. once when i took a stalker rifle to him to fac. second time when i picked it up couldnt meet a nicer guy. very helpful and has some very good designs.

i also had one of his 1st over barrel carbon mods. he has made them even better now and the 3rd time i met him is when he took a 22lr semi auto in for a friend of mine to collect. he didn't charge him anything for doing it.

but my mate gave him some money for his trouble. couldnt ask for better service then that. not only that if john works on your rifle and something did go wrong. which isnt often i bet he will sort it free of charge even if its years and years later.

how many rfd's would do that for you
    Only one, the Airgun Centre! But only if you buy new and keep it serviced there!

Graham2 is offline Slightly camp, makes decent chilli, and has a box of tissues and a can of 3 In 1 in the gun room
    John rang me an hour ago to fill me in on the latest developments and it's fair to say we'll be seeing plenty of stuff from him in the future.
    Not camp, Gary just wishes I were!