Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300S Junior - Any being used in the UK?

I was given one recently and by the looks of it,it was mint before being put away in a damp shed! The stock is virtually unmarked but the metal work is well pitted,it still shoots perfectly,it will be my next restoration project and i will post some before and after pics when it's done.
    In saying yes to this air rifle you are confirming that you are not a messer and are allowed to go out in public without your carer

What a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by frontend loader View Post
    I was given one recently and by the looks of it,it was mint before being put away in a damp shed! The stock is virtually unmarked but the metal work is well pitted,it still shoots perfectly,it will be my next restoration project and i will post some before and after pics when it's done.
    That sounds like the sort of gift we would all like to receive, and the sort of project I enjoy.

Basically a rifle with newish innards and tatty external metal work - all ready to be stripped down, polished and blued - it will look great when it's finished.

I look forward to seeing the pictures - especially those to show what it looks like now.

Thanks for sharing!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    There you are Dick, Zooma has the perfect answer! Grab it quick they are rare!

The not so perfect one is, my wife and I have always bought our rifles to shoot not collect, we have also kept our old guns when we bought new ones. So we have no classics, just rifles (and pistols!) we bought to shoot that have become part of our shooting history and some have now become classics.
    From my experience the collector is a finicky sod and any alteration to a classic will devalue it in their eyes, so I'd think very carefully before you alter it.
    People like me don't see it that way. I would dearly love to get back one of the few guns we sold, my wifes Original 75 which was extensively modified for her, I would see it as sacriledge if some one had restored it to standard.
    Have Fun and Good shooting.
    Robin
    Thanks Robin - I have just sold a lovely 66 so not looking for a replacement.

I have decided to modify the rifle to fit me better - it is really a fabulous example of this fine match rifle and the mods I am making are only minor so hopefully will not diminish it's overall character and graceful lines.

Regards

Dick

300S Junior

I use one in preference to the 300S Match...lighter, shorter and with much better balance. Same action as the Match, beech stock. Bought mine in from Germany...very few in the UK I would think. I am 5ft 10 ins and I have no problem with the slightly shorter stock...might be a problem if you have arms like King Kong!

Mike95

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by avanti View Post
    Thanks Robin - I have just sold a lovely 66 so not looking for a replacement.

I have decided to modify the rifle to fit me better - it is really a fabulous example of this fine match rifle and the mods I am making are only minor so hopefully will not diminish it's overall character and graceful lines.

Regards

Dick
    Dick
    On the "missing 75" we had built up the cheek piece higher and square with polystyrene covered with suede, so that will have been removed by the new owner now, if you want it just squared off to use wrong handed you could build it up with varnished balsa which could be removed afterwards.
    Before the days of multi adjustable cheek pieces we used to build up and shape one card at a time with targets stuck on with tape until we had the perfect shape then used that as a former to make a more permanant shape.
    Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
    I use one in preference to the 300S Match...lighter, shorter and with much better balance. Same action as the Match, beech stock. Bought mine in from Germany...very few in the UK I would think. I am 5ft 10 ins and I have no problem with the slightly shorter stock...might be a problem if you have arms like King Kong!

Mike95
    Mike
    Techniques have evolved a lot in 40 years, most top level shooters use quite a short stock with the centre of ballance rearwards or at least within no more than a couple of cm's of the left hand position, you'll find you'd probably need to put 300 to 500 gms of lead in the very convenient hollow butt of the Junior to get it there, try it you will be pleasantly surpised. The biggest advantage of the new rifles other than lock time is the ergonomics, 40 years ago it took me a day in the workshop to get a rifle set up, fit, length and ballance, now its ten minutes with adjustments!
    Have Fun, good shooting.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Still Looking?

If you are still looking for a 300s junior then I have a minter for sale. Was mistakenly bought as a 300s and only discovered mistake when home. Gun is in beautiful condition with just 2 minor marks on stock with metalwork a1 condition. Original diopter has few marks and comes with 'blinder' all original sight inserts, manual with test certificate and original tools. Period match bipod included. Period correct hard gun case with match pellets supplied.
    Even comes with the original bill of sale from 1983 so a real collectors piece. Sadly the price I paid reflected this condition. Let me know if you interested and will sort some pics out. If you have found one already then apologies for post.

Quote Originally Posted by mikea2310 View Post
    If you are still looking for a 300s junior then I have a minter for sale. Was mistakenly bought as a 300s and only discovered mistake when home. Gun is in beautiful condition with just 2 minor marks on stock with metalwork a1 condition. Original diopter has few marks and comes with 'blinder' all original sight inserts, manual with test certificate and original tools. Period match bipod included. Period correct hard gun case with match pellets supplied.
    Even comes with the original bill of sale from 1983 so a real collectors piece. Sadly the price I paid reflected this condition. Let me know if you interested and will sort some pics out. If you have found one already then apologies for post.
    Hi Mike,

I sent you a PM but have had no reply yet.

Please let me know that you received it OK.

I would like to see the pictures if you can email them to me - Thanks.
    Last edited by zooma; 10-02-2012 at 05:45 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.