Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much power?

How much power?

Hi All,

I'm a pest control officer for the council. I have used air rifles for many a year but have recently found the need for a pistol to dispatch rats caught in a live catch trap. What is the minimum FPS I would need to kill a rat from 6 inches. I would think it wouldn't be much. The council is skint so my boss told me to get the cheapest pistol that will do the job. Any advice is welcome.

Cheers

Dave.

Ratcatcher would do the job nicely co2 power too

HW45

This will get the job done, spring powered no need to for any refills
    When you lose,don't lose the lesson

Aardys is offline Formerly Old gun/git/ formerly oldcliff/formerly (watch this bleddy space)...
    a sheridan pistol in 22 is about the most powerfull pistol you can get
    loud as a canon though
    Getting Old

3 ft.lbs + to be safe and humane which gives you a vast choice really. HW70 break barrel maybe?
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

Pistol

Hi Dave,

I have a Record LP77 0.177 calibre break barrel pistol that was bought 20+ years ago.Only had a tin of pellets through it.

pics available if interested as I feel sure it would do the job and is sat in my safe doing nothing.

Roy
    Last edited by Roy D.; 26-12-2011 at 11:17 AM.

and there was i remembering being told some where that it was illegal to hunt with a pistol.

any one shed some light on this issue?

Hi, its not to hunt with its to humanely dispatch the rats caught in a live catch trap.

cheers

Dave,

Quote Originally Posted by daystateman View Post
    and there was i remembering being told some where that it was illegal to hunt with a pistol.

any one shed some light on this issue?
    It's not illegal to hunt with a pistol, just not humane, accuracy and power issues, and is therefore discouraged.

Discussion of hunting with pistols is not allowed in this section of the forum, probably what you're thinking of.

Humane dispatch is another topic entirely. We occasionally get this type of question asked. I think it's better to answer it than not and leave someone to go off and buy an unsuitable pistol and cause unnecessary suffering.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    It's not illegal to hunt with a pistol, just not humane, accuracy and power issues, and is therefore discouraged.

Discussion of hunting with pistols is not allowed in this section of the forum, probably what you're thinking of.

Humane dispatch is another topic entirely. We occasionally get this type of question asked. I think it's better to answer it than not and leave someone to go off and buy an unsuitable pistol and cause unnecessary suffering.
    Textbook answer Sir!
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

my boss told me to get the cheapest pistol that will do the job.
    Must be a crosman 2240 surely? Others will do the job but this would be the cheapest?

I prefer 4+ ftlbs myself. That does the job first shot every time. I wouldn't think a HW45 would be best because:

its over priced for the job;

The shrouded barrel means its not as easy to aim point blank as the 2240; and

The whole "toy "real" gun" look might not go down well in a local council.

Only drawback of a 2240 is either wasting CO2 or leaving it gassed up, but presumably it would have to be locked away anyway

paul4be is offline Everything has an end, only the sausage has two
    2nd hand BSA Scorpion, resealed and resprung.

Ready whenever you need it and should be over 5fpe.
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

Quote Originally Posted by Aardys View Post
    a sheridan pistol in 22 is about the most powerfull pistol you can get
    loud as a canon though

I can confirm that one of these is well up for the job

The chap wants cheap, and there are people on here recommending the HW45 and Co2 pistols. The HW45 will be expensive for what the chap wants, even secondhand and there's no point him buying a Co2 pistol, with gas cartridges to buy and the possibility of it leaking its gas when not in use. For the purpose described, any mid-powered pistol will be adequate, from a Webley Tempest or Hurricane upwards. Even one of those cheap Turkish Webley break-barrel pistols would do the job.