Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much power?

Quote Originally Posted by paul4be View Post
    2nd hand BSA Scorpion, resealed and resprung.

Ready whenever you need it and should be over 5fpe.
    That would be my choice too ^^^^

Proper big black hand full of gun too

Can go wrong with a tempest that's on the sales section (link below) Capable of easily dispatching a rat at almost point blank range. Put in a nice heavy pellet like a bisley magnum or bisley pest control and you should dispatch it in one.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ey-Tempest-.22

I have been doing the same job for many years and use an SMK break barrel think it cost about £30.00 its well up to the job and would be pretty poor if it wasnt at point blank range!!,

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by brettguise View Post
    Can go wrong with a tempest that's on the sales section (link below) Capable of easily dispatching a rat at almost point blank range. Put in a nice heavy pellet like a bisley magnum or bisley pest control and you should dispatch it in one.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ey-Tempest-.22
    Interesting thought given that heavy pellets increase the power output of PCPs and reduce that of springers and the Tempest produces around 3.6ft/lbs with more suitable pellets on a good day
    A light pellet such as the Thunderbolt would yield significantly more power from a low to mid powered spring pistol.
    Regards,
    Nick

Research the real meaning of point blank rather than that associated with poor fiction and even poorer news reporting, it doesn't mean up close
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

A Tempest would be a good choice, not as powerful as some pistols but will certainly do the job at close range, compact and unobtrusive too which might be a benefit for the OP's purpose. While I love BSA Scorpions and they have plenty of power to do this job the large size might be a hindrance.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Seeing as how it would be used for the purpose only now and then, I'd opt for a springer over a CO2. Cock it and fire it only as needed: no worrying about loading a CO2 bulb and either leaving it in there for a prolonged period, or having the waste and hassle of removing it while it's full.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Seeing as how it would be used for the purpose only now and then, I'd opt for a springer over a CO2. Cock it and fire it only as needed: no worrying about loading a CO2 bulb and either leaving it in there for a prolonged period, or having the waste and hassle of removing it while it's full.

Jim
    The trouble with that is with the exception of the scorpion (too big, and not available new) and the HW45 (too expensive) do they have enough power?

But then my only experience is squizzers, which are tougher than rats. For a squirrel IMHO a tempest is not powerful enough.

Ieazo is offline Tony hawk's stunt double...Just the face though
    Quote Originally Posted by LandRoger View Post
    I have been doing the same job for many years and use an SMK break barrel think it cost about £30.00 its well up to the job and would be pretty poor if it wasnt at point blank range!!,
    I have one of these in .22, I bought it as a backyard plinker and a bit of a challenge, took it apart deburred and relubed, very easy to do and the result a nice consistent 4.5ft/lb plinker. Personally I'd never need to use it for humane dispatch but would think it'd be up to the job at point blank or nearest offer.

At the risk of stirring up a shit storm, drowning? Not necessarily my point of view just thought I'd put it forward for discussion. I remember reading a good while ago the RSPCA tried to have a guy charged with cruelty for drowning a grey squirrel, not sure how that ended up but from a legal point of view this would probably set the precedence. From an ethical stance there are arguments both for and against, there are those who believe drowning is a very peaceful way to go.
    I like tinkering and banging

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    The trouble with that is with the exception of the scorpion (too big, and not available new) and the HW45 (too expensive) do they have enough power?

But then my only experience is squizzers, which are tougher than rats. For a squirrel IMHO a tempest is not powerful enough.
    Yeah: and if money (to purchase it) is an issue, the Sheridan might be the best choice. And who knows, it might get used for the purpose quite often.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Here we are....

...mentioned in general just the other day, and seeing as SMK already got a mention;

SMK 25 - less than eighty sheets, full power and available new.

At the risk of stirring up a shit storm, drowning? Not necessarily my point of view just thought I'd put it forward for discussion.
    Pretty sure that's a no-no on the "avoidable suffering" point. Put it like this: if I had to choose between going out with one shot to the head, (from something a bit bigger than a tempest !) or being held under water, I know which one I'd go for.

A Crosman 1377 or 1322 - shoots at 5-6fpe. One of the most powerful air pistols in the UK. Its a multi pump pneumatic air pistol. Easy to charge and would be ideal for the situation mentioned. Pump it up 10 times and leave it. Then cock and load it when needed and it would definitely do the job. Its light and one can be picked up for £50/60 second hand.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'll go for a springer or pump up to avoid wasting co2 cartridges but definitely a .22.

Just a mention on the drowning of rats, it's a definite no no. Our local SSPCA officer told me if caught doing this I would be prosecuted.

Thanks

Dave.

a sheridan pistol in 22 is about the most powerfull pistol you can get
    loud as a canon though
    HW45 , Crosman 2240.
    I have used all of these but for price and power I would go for the Crosman 2240 .22
    with a good pellet , cheap and good power - around 4.5 -5 ft Lbs .
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

a 22 hw45 would do the job with no problems. it would last a lifetime also.