Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lazy Sellers

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick

Lazy Sellers

I'm posting here specifically for a pistoleer's view, having sold pistol related things I didn't really want to sell based on good photos of nice things and subsequent requests to part with my beloved items
    I asked a seller about photos of a rifle and rather than posting in his sales thread or sending photos to the email address on my website (in my sig) he sent me a PM asking for an email address!
    I wasn't desperate to buy his gun but I might well have had it if some good photos had been forthcoming.
    I've been bought a classic SSP pistol, a basic starter HFT/FT scope and some plating equipment with my unexpected Christmas windfall, it could have been the rifle in question if the seller hadn't been too lazy to post good pictures in his sales thread
    Why would you want to sell something and be too lazy to post photos?

- Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

I think it's because some sellers don't know how to post photos but don't want to admit it.

Nickpan is offline I love a lot of slippery, soapy men's bums!
    This is all part of the joy of online selling.
    If you advertise a year old S400 with Air Arms silencer, no scope, excellent condition no marks, why would you need to post pics. Also, from a buyers point if view, although reassuring to see pics, why would you need to see a pic of a clean s400. If you need to see a pic because you want to be sure the rifle exists and seller is not lying - well...three pics of someones rifle isn't a guarantee of what you're buying.
    I once sold something on a forum, the post had a link to photobucket, 7 pictures of a fine watch. Someone emailed me, and asked me if I would email the pics to a friend of theirs, who may be interested in the watch. I mentioned the online pics which were literally a mouse click away, but apparently their friend wasn't too good with a pc. But they could view attachments. So I emailed them, didn't hear anything from them again. A week later, someone asked for a further 2 pics of the clasp, they wanted to seemly it was unmarked. It was pristine, I was happy to take 2 pics and post them on photobucket, and pm the potential customer, to let him know the new pics were up. Didn't from him again.
    Another chap bought a 30 year old watch and box from me, then emailed a week later to say that he was disappointed that the manual was a bit faded. I had mentioned it in the advert, and had put pics on the link to Photobucket.
    So for every genuine enquiry you make, bare in mind that there may have been 3 'tyre kickers' wasting time before you, making ridiculous offers, and trying to pick holes in someones pride and joy that they begrudgingly have to sell.
    Selling can be very satisfying, if it wasn't for the customers!

This in no way reflects upon Magicniner, just saying why someone who should be keen to sell, doesn't always come across as such.
    Although I will add that just because he didn't clock your email in your sig, doesn't mean he wasn't keen, just not too savvy. He went to the trouble of asking for your email, and I guess you didn't respond, therefore he's clocked you as someone just out window shopping.
    no such words as alot or ect, and do you really want to add a second 'o' in 'lose', unless you're talking about something that isn't very tight?

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    You'd be surprised how many people haven't seen or handled a given model of gun, pictures can really make a sale

Rayee is offline I don't need a gun; I've got an attack butterfly.
    Yus, I agree
    Toilet trained since March

I totally agree. I personaly wouldn't buy anything over about 50 quid without seeing it first. I like to see pictures because a) the seller is more likely to have the item if he/she has posted pics. b) I can decide condition myself and c) I can check the details of the description are correct.
    hoplophobe

I'm not sure which is the worse sin:

A - Failing to post a decent picture.

or

B - Posting a moan thread about selling rifles in the air-pistol area.

Each about as clueless as the other.

Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    You'd be surprised how many people haven't seen or handled a given model of gun, pictures can really make a sale
    I totally agree, if they can't be bothered to post a pic I cannot be bothered to spend my money on their gun.

Ian
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction!

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    I'm not sure which is the worse sin:

A - Failing to post a decent picture.

or

B - Posting a moan thread about selling rifles in the air-pistol area.

Each about as clueless as the other.
    I'm honoured to have teased out one of your rare, infrequent and possibly collectable posts then

What's more annoying...

The sellers who don't edit the first post and/or title of the thread when it's sold. The amount of times I've been on the edge of buying something to then read on post 9 or 10 that it's sold. Completely wasted my time reading the ad. It's a bit like if sold items on e-you know what still came up in the searches.

Just one of those things. We like to know it exists.

I believe all sales should have a photo or not be listed. Also all photo's should be tagged with the user name and date.

It is too easy to give a glowing written description of an item that don't exist.

Good luck, Phil

I agree with Nick. oh dear, that sounds too much like a certain Gordon Brown. If I am buying a rifle or pistol in particular, I like to see photos (not grainy blurred offerings) of it so I can determine if the wood grain etc is to my personal taste. I sold a Silver Star on here recently and had put up excellent photos of it, which prompted the purchaser to contact me as the grip was far nicer than others he'd seen. Had I not put that photo up, he would have passed my advert by and both of us would have lost out. On the other hand, it it is of a black scope for instance or some such generic thing where asthetics are not so important, I would still like to see a photo or photos of it, but they would be less important i my decision making.
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    If a seller can't be bothered, or is too clueless to post pictures, it makes me think they'll be the same when it comes to packing properly and posting in good time. Posting a decent picture helps to give a good impression of the seller.

Rayee is offline I don't need a gun; I've got an attack butterfly.
    But the seller had asked for an email address, presumably to send photos? He sounds keen enough to sell.
    Toilet trained since March

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

Leaving out basic information on purpose

Speaking personally its not that I am to lazy to post pictures its that ever time i try to post pictures it always ends in frustration, that's why I always send them by email. What really annoys me is when sellers leave out really basic information or simply dont respond for days when you request any information, if anyone does the latter i soon withdraw any interest. I am sure some people leave out basic information deliberately so that people ask and their advert gets bumped. Have the mods ever considered a photo hosting service wherby they put your pictures up and you make a £1.00 donation to a named charity?.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !