Thread: Walther LP2 pellet selection

Walther LP2 pellet selection

I'm hoping to save myself some time and money by polling the question: "What pellets work best in your Walther LP2?" When I got the gun, I bought some RWS R10 Match 7.0 G pellets. It seemed they worked great considering my marginal shooting skills. Well I shot 1000 rounds in 4 weeks and ran out. I bought some Crosman Competition wadcutters at the local sporting goods store. They were much cheaper. When I was shooting today, I thought, "Man, I can't hit the broad side of a barn". So, I did a group check on a bench and was shocked to see such a large dispersion (about a 2" group). Clearly this Crosman stuff doesn't work well in my gun. So, instead of me shooting and buying all this different ammo, what has performed the best in your LP2? I just ordered 4 tins of RWS Diablo Basic 7.0. I'm hoping I didn't waste my money. Any comments would be appreciated. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

If anyone is interested, I did another bench check with RWS Diablo pellets. The grouping was much better. So, apparently I'm not as pitiful as I thought, but I still need lots of improvement. What I noticed between the RWS pellets and those cheap Crosman pellets, is how the pellets feel going into the gun. My old gun is a break barrel. You have to place the pellet in the breach. When I used the Crosmans, some were loose and some not so loose. The RWS has a very consistent feel and a snugness in the barrel to them. I do a much better job calling my shots now. I'll do the same analysis when I get the RWS R10's and the H&N Match Finale pellets in the mail.

It's odd, I contacted a guy in the States who is a very well respected air gun expert. He told me that pellet choosing was a waste of time. I'm an Engineer by training. I'm programmed to do an analysis to determine which has the best result. I saw for my own eyes the difference between the cheap ones and the better ones. Being that I'm only 6 weeks into this new sport, I wouldn't be stupid enough to debate him on this, but the results make me wonder. Maybe he meant it was a waste between match grade pellets??

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Is he the same expert who made such a professional job of servicing your pistol? There are experts and those who think they are! He's mostly wrong, is the correct answer.
    Pellet matching is more critical in Match air rifles due to the 10 being 0.5 mm across, thats 40 thou in old money! But even in a pistol there is a dramatic difference in pellet performance, but even with a miss match most good quality match pellets will still hold the ten, so stick to RWS R10 or H&N, but the cheap brands can be quite haphazard. For what they cost per shot, parts of pennies, its not worth using cheapo's.
    Good Shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Bear in mind also that your barrel will have been 'leaded' by the old pellets and it will probably take a 100 or so shots to 're-lead' your barrel with the new pellets that were almost certainly made from a harder or softer alloy of lead.
    Dismissing the new pellets after a small number of shots will serve to prove nothing.

I use RWS geco's through my Morini and another shooter (better than I) at the club puts them through his Steyr, we have both fould that rested the gun's are still capable of large single hole groups - so perhaps some of the 'cheapies' are not so bad - your own testing can determine which are better for your gun.