Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walther cp88 or Beretta 92fs?

Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by oggiegb View Post
    I've had a CP88 and a Beretta and sold both, the Beretta was too big for my hands but looked great especially with wooden grips. It's difficult to explain why I sold the CP88, it just didn't appeal for some reason depsite being accurage and having adjustable sights (I had the competition model). I find the Umarex Smith & Wesson 586 my fav co2 pistol and it's growing on me more & more.
    I think I've a mental issue in that the CP88 is a revolver (in the way it works) that looks like a semi auto whereas the 586 is a revolver all thru if that makes sense.
    It's something very personal tho and the Umarex CP88 is extremely popular along with the Colt 1911.

Rich.
    Spot on mate .
    I remember seeing the very first Co2 semi auto pellet firers - RWS ...looked great until broke open - and I can clearly remember my heart sinking , when I realised that it was a dinky revolver mechanism hidden inside ...Lol I put it back down on the gunshop counter and went out and bought a Gamo R77 , then Crosman 357 .

AIRPISTOLS get a look in this month in TWO magazines

Quote Originally Posted by IKSmudge View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm Thinking of venturing into the world of CO2 fun.
    Can't quite decide between these two.
    Any advice/ experience with these will be gratefully recieved.
    Thanks
    Ian
    I hate admitting to buying magazines but there is :
    - a full article on these Umarex in this months issue of AIRGUN WORLD and
    - a multi page review of the new style WW11 classics in AIRGUN SHOOTER .

Its summer , the suns out , time to get me pistols !

I'd go for the CP88.

The 92F has that reassuring heft of a sidearm but it gets a bit tedious after a while.

The CP88 is much more spritely and IMHO a more attractive pistol - particularly in the silver/nickel finishes with contrasting wood grips.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

I love the cp88 with nickel and wood grips too. CP88 competition has a slightly longer barrel and a little more power/accuracy - but you pay more for it.

the 92FS was my fist excursion into CO2 pistols and i thought it was great, bit on the heavy side but it felt comfortable fit in the hand.
    Borrowed a CP88 for a while and though personally i wasnt comfortable with it i can see why may others would be.
    In the end i just have the Umarex 1911 which suits me.

The be all and end all is you need to try both and find the one that suits you
    atb
    Nige
    Formerly Ric O'shay but profile lost as not used for a very long time

If we are talking Umarex Pistols, then as advised by Delta1 try first if you can, i have many variants of both and would never sell any of them, if you have slightly larger hands the Beretta will feel great, but does get a little heavy after a while. That said i personally feel the CP88 is and will always be one of the best Co2 pellet firing pistols ever made. It has nice weight and balance, the 4" barrel is pretty accurate, but the 6" comp is even better, and is a pretty good all rounder. If you can only have one go for the CP88, though we are talking about pistols, you can never have just one.

It quickly becomes 2, 5, 12, 19, 27 til you reach OMG where am i going to put all these lol. I'm at 39 and counting

But once you have your collection pop over to the Umarex Boys Club forum become a member and join in our Monthly Competitions, it would be a shame to leave them cased in a cupboard.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    Spot on mate .
    I remember seeing the very first Co2 semi auto pellet firers - RWS ...looked great until broke open - and I can clearly remember my heart sinking , when I realised that it was a dinky revolver mechanism hidden inside ...Lol I put it back down on the gunshop counter and went out and bought a Gamo R77 , then Crosman 357 .
    The CP88 was actually the first, followed by the RWS C225 still made buy Umarex but RWS branded and distributed. After the excellent CP88 the RWS was a huge flop despite having the same internals as the CP88, it wasn't as pretty or as nice to handle, though not actually a replica it did have a very close resemblance to a Sig Sauer. Manufacturing was stopped after only 2 years, where as the CP88 is still being made today. I personally quite like the RWS not as much as the CP88 mind you, and they are becoming quite rare now, if you find one and have some spare cash grab it, its and investment if nothing else.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

I've got an umarex FS92 and cant really fault it; I even won the Police Pistol comp on here with it a few years ago!!

It is chunky but I thought people wanted a practical pistol shooting experience so its weight is part of the experience!

Ultimately I purchased mine used on here; I would have got an 88 if that had come up first.

AA S410K .22, BSA Supersport .22, HW40 .177, Umarex Berretta 92fs .177 Webley Junior .177 (1954)

One exactly the same as the other

Quote Originally Posted by delta1 View Post
    As always try before you buy if you can.

CP88 good enough for speed shoots etc, 92fs big solid lump feels great in the hand.

Only one real answer, that's both!
    Both are nearly IDENTICAL in internals and function. Pick the one that you find suits you and buy it! I have multiples of each and they shoot well for what they are. You WILL need to buy many of the rotary magazines, as those are the wear item and the "disposable" part of the quotient.

I got out the cp88, cp88 long barrel and the nickel 92 for some beginners the other day and the both went for the standard cp88 which is still my go to gun, i thought i needed the long barrel model but its just not my cup of tea. I lusted for one for ages and then bought one and lost intrest in it, it didnt make me any better of a shot!

The beretta is nice but after a few mags it does get a bit heavy and i never really fell in love with it.

Beretta = boat anchor
    So does real one according to friend who came from South Africa where handguns are de rigeour.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    The CP88 was actually the first, followed by the RWS C225 still made buy Umarex but RWS branded and distributed. After the excellent CP88 the RWS was a huge flop despite having the same internals as the CP88, it wasn't as pretty or as nice to handle, though not actually a replica it did have a very close resemblance to a Sig Sauer. Manufacturing was stopped after only 2 years, where as the CP88 is still being made today. I personally quite like the RWS not as much as the CP88 mind you, and they are becoming quite rare now, if you find one and have some spare cash grab it, its and investment if nothing else.
    Actually, the C225 is a pretty good replica of the SIG-Sauer P225, developed in the 70s as a smaller version of the 220 for the German Police, who called it the P6. Which may be why the C225 was later sold as the "Reck Police". It's as close to the real thing as the 92 is (the grip on the 92 is not right, in the same way the trigger guard on the 225 is a bit iffy).

CP88 competition Nickel with walnut grips - may be up for sale

I have this really immaculate CP88 Competition - but since buying it, I hardly ever use it, so feel it should go to a more appreciative home.

It comes with a full set, tools, original instruction manual, and case.

Any views on what it should be advertised at? And where best to advertise it (I did just sell a short Nickel CP88, with walnut grips on GunStar - and that did go quickly, but maybe I had it on too cheap!)

Its one of those that I know I will kick myself about selling after its gone!!

I own most all of the Umarex offerings, like both the Beretta and the CP88 'Comp', those and the S&W 586/686 and Desert Eagle are my favorite shooters in C02, but the if I were You, bang for the buck I'd look at the new SA10
    Baikal MP654 MP53M IZH-46M LP53 CP88comp Alecto .177 LB, .22 Tempest .177, .22 Cr 2240 Weih HW45 HW45BS HW70 HW75 XSP180 Cometa Indian Hatsan25 Scorp MKII Benj Trail NP AVOKE Diana P5 Avanti747 * PLUS Over 70, Co2 BB/Pellet Pistols*