Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a Feinwerkbau Model 65 Kick like a Mule.

Making a Feinwerkbau Model 65 Kick like a Mule.

The MPL series is gaining interest, and several of us are beginning to think a good non recoiless pistol could be the winning combination if we could find one with a good match trigger to take full advantage of the scoring UP instead of DOWN system applied to the recoiless pistols - plus the bonus point per card as well!

The Model 65 when new was supplied with a blanking plate and screw to stop the recoiless action working by blocking the movement of the sledge. A taller front sight element was also included for use with the pistol in this configuration.

This feature was not continued with the new Model 80 when it came out, so we were concerned that maybe the extra stress on the frame caused by blocking the sledge may have put too much strain on the main frame, and maybe after sustained use could also cause the threaded screw to tear out of the casting or even cause the main casting to fracture?

I doubt many people ever shot the Model 65 in this "blocked" configuration for any length of time, but we would like to hear from anyone that has, or who has witnessed any damage caused to a Model 65 due to shooting it this way.

No news could be good news as far as we are concerned as it could be a "winner" for use in the MPL.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    If you consider the high quality of FWB pistols ( Model 65 and 80 both supposed to be capable of 1,000,000 shots!) perhaps the blocking of the recoil sledge will not be deleterious to the longevity of the pistol.

If you want to make things even more difficult, change the trigger weight to 1360 gms - this I believe, in combination with the recoiling effect, was to provide a cost effective way of practice for centre fire pistol disciplines.

ATB

Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    If you consider the high quality of FWB pistols ( Model 65 and 80 both supposed to be capable of 1,000,000 shots!) perhaps the blocking of the recoil sledge will not be deleterious to the longevity of the pistol.

If you want to make things even more difficult, change the trigger weight to 1360 gms - this I believe, in combination with the recoiling effect, was to provide a cost effective way of practice for centre fire pistol disciplines.

ATB

Mike.
    Tonight we can see how Ian gets on with his Model 65 with the sledge blocked, but I think this has some good MPL potential - my only concern is the longevity of the pistol if used on a regular long-term basis in the MPL with this "kicking" format.

.......mind you - if we can find some more Model 65's that shoot as well as Ian's does for £140 it does reduce the concerns somewhat!

Initial impressions are, after a few shots over the chrono, that Im glad its not a permanent fixture. I think the old 'chitty chitty clang clang' 65 will soon be reverting to the old sliding sledge again pretty soon.
    All this for a few extra points on the M.P.L.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    I used to use my 65 blocked and also on 1380 gms as c/f practice back in the good old days when we shot centre fire. I then bought a Walther LP53 specificaly for centre fire practice.
    I did also try it recently and the scores were fairly similar as long as the concentration was on technique, I don't think the recoil was as fierce as the LP53.
    All good fun.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

I've never seen a mod 65 advertised with this sort of damage to the main frame (out of many hundreds for sale over the years on eGun, including 'parts' guns) and I'd be surprised if the 65 wasn't up to repeated use with the anti-recoil mechanism blocked. I suspect the feature was dropped on the model 80 more because by the late '70s/early '80s, competition for that market was hotting up and the cost/competition downsides of including it were too great.
    Last edited by Garvin; 04-09-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Dates...oops!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks for your replies to my thread question everyone.

These Model 65's are getting to be quite old ladies now, and they may not appreciate being shaken about quite so much as when they were younger - but I will give it a try for the MPL series as it still looks like it could be the best possible choice as a recoiling match pistol....but I will be keeping an eye on it - just in case!

Another thought occurs - didn't FWB keep making the mod 65 with recoil option well after the 80 was discontinued? More evidence there was no frame weakness perhaps...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Sod the pistols 'frame weaken'.

I'm delicate you know.

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Another thought occurs - didn't FWB keep making the mod 65 with recoil option well after the 80 was discontinued? More evidence there was no frame weakness perhaps...
    Yes that is very true - the Model 65 continued to be available alongside the Model 80 for some time during the 70's when I bought them both from new ( not together I hasten to add - but over a couple of years or so).

Too Much to Ask ?

I have found one of the higher front sight blades for use on a Model 65 with the blocking plate.

Does anyone have one of the little sqaure shaped blocking plates and screws by any chance?

I have a Feinwerkbau workshop manual from 1978 and it shows the blocking plate as part number 16.015.1 and the screw to hold it as part number 16.016.1

Anybody.......?

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Yes that is very true - the Model 65 continued to be available alongside the Model 80 for some time during the 70's when I bought them both from new ( not together I hasten to add - but over a couple of years or so).
    I checked back in my FWB info folder and found a post by Joe "Jeweller" Tousignant with an email from Feinwerkbau Westinger & Altenburger GmbH, dated June 2001, saying:

The FEINWERKBAU air-pistols Mod. 65 were produced
    from 1965 - 1998, the air-pistols Mod. 80 from
    1977 - 1986 and the air-pistols Mod. 90 from 1982

Another FWB email said:

From air-pistol Mod. 65 we produced approx.
    145.000 pcs.,
    from air-pistol Mod. 80 approx. 48.000 pcs.,
    from air-pistol Mod. 90 approx. 20.000 pcs.

I have one of the blocking plates and screw somewhere (not for sale) which I can dig it out if you want pics/dimensions etc?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I checked back in my FWB info folder and found a post by Joe "Jeweller" Tousignant with an email from Feinwerkbau Westinger & Altenburger GmbH, dated June 2001, saying:

The FEINWERKBAU air-pistols Mod. 65 were produced
    from 1965 - 1998, the air-pistols Mod. 80 from
    1977 - 1986 and the air-pistols Mod. 90 from 1982

Another FWB email said:

From air-pistol Mod. 65 we produced approx.
    145.000 pcs.,
    from air-pistol Mod. 80 approx. 48.000 pcs.,
    from air-pistol Mod. 90 approx. 20.000 pcs.

I have one of the blocking plates and screw somewhere (not for sale) which I can dig it out if you want pics/dimensions etc?
    Thanks for the production info - I had no idea the production period for the Model 65 was so long compared to the Model 80 - no wonder there are so few of them compared to the Model 65 - but I am surprised about the number of Model 90 pistols made as I thought they were deemed to be a bit of a flop - but then they did take 10 years just to make 20,000 so I guess the sales could be described as "steady".

The blocking plate pictures with dimensions would be interesting as it should be simple enough to make a replica - but I would like to know the length of the supplied screw and the thickness of the plate to see how much screw thread was held in the casting.

Our top MPL shooter (TC1) tested his Model 65 with a blocking plate he had made himself at RMTC last Tuesday.

It would be fair to say that he could not get the screw unwound fast enough to remove it, so it seem like his plans to find the most competetive recoiling pistol for use in the MPL do not lay with the Model 65!

Shame really as some of us thought this would be the ulitmate recoiling match pistol - mainly due to its superb handing and match trigger - but I think I will go and test this option for myself in any case as it should ( in theory) be right up there with the best of the recoiling pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Our top MPL shooter (TC1) tested his Model 65 with a blocking plate he had made himself at RMTC last Tuesday.
    After 5 shots my finger nails started to fall off and I got double vision!

ATB
    TC1