Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black powder blanks

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Black powder blanks

I've been asked to look into the possibility of a demo using blank firing BP revolvers. They are looking at a bright flash, loud bang, lot of smoke. It suddenly occurred to me that I haven't the faintest idea of how to go about it.
    If I just use a charge of BP and a wad then the powder and wad would just be blown out of the chamber by the force of the primer, unburned.
    Obviously there has to be some resistance (as normally provided by the bullet) to allow the pressure to build and the powder to burn.

Does anyone have any idea how to go about it?
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Worth experimenting until you get the desired effect. When I used my arquebus in demos, I found I needed about 2 1/2 times the powder charge with two tea bags for resistance to get decent bang/smoke/flame.

Maybe try twice the powder and as many wads as you can get in the chamber. Presumably no one can get hit by wads? Tea bags disintegrated so wasn't a problem.

Not sure about the legal aspect as presumably this is off range.

Steve

Anyone know what the powder rating is in a 12 Bore shotgun BP blank cartridge ? FFG ? FFFG ??? FFFFG ?

Would have thought it was a bit iffy firing revolvers off range unless you are a rfd. How about using candle wax as a plug??
    Simply find some candles a bit bigger bore than required and cut them into 1/2" pieces. The rammer will shave off any excess wax when it pushes said candle into the chamber. Or you could of course simply cast some round ball the right size out of wax! Got me thinking now!

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    I've been asked to look into the possibility of a demo using blank firing BP revolvers. They are looking at a bright flash, loud bang, lot of smoke. It suddenly occurred to me that I haven't the faintest idea of how to go about it.
    If I just use a charge of BP and a wad then the powder and wad would just be blown out of the chamber by the force of the primer, unburned.
    Obviously there has to be some resistance (as normally provided by the bullet) to allow the pressure to build and the powder to burn.

Blackpowder is an explosive, it detonates. When you fire the primer the charge instantly turns to gas. The primer does not blow it out.

I would use more powder and just a wad. You will get the desired effect.

Do not forget that the wad will exit the barrel with enough velocity to penetrate someone at close range. A friend at the gun club had a wad penetrate the target 25 yards away. All the usual safety procedures must still be observed.

Atb.

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Would have thought it was a bit iffy firing revolvers off range unless you are a rfd. How about using candle wax as a plug??
    Simply find some candles a bit bigger bore than required and cut them into 1/2" pieces. The rammer will shave off any excess wax when it pushes said candle into the chamber. Or you could of course simply cast some round ball the right size out of wax! Got me thinking now!
    What ever you do don't use wax bullets or balls that could be fatal!
    Have you not seen a candle fired from a shotgun it will go through 2" bit of pine without any problem, it is a very dangerous trick as the pressures are sky high and many guns have had there barrels bulged or burst doing it.

Do not use wax or any similar substance use tissue or very thin card ,Many years in the early 80's the landlord of the Horse and Jockey just outside the RAF base at waddington decided to test a punt gun out the back using a couple of bars of soap as a rammed wad and nearly cut a 5" tree trunk in half.

Errr

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    Blackpowder is an explosive, it detonates. When you fire the primer the charge instantly turns to gas. The primer does not blow it out.

I would use more powder and just a wad. You will get the desired effect.

Do not forget that the wad will exit the barrel with enough velocity to penetrate someone at close range. A friend at the gun club had a wad penetrate the target 25 yards away. All the usual safety procedures must still be observed.

Atb.
    Sorry but that is exactly what happens. I test fired 6 loads out of my ROA and none ignited properly. It needs the resistance of the bullet for complete ignition.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Well i suppose we all live and learn. Wouldnt have thought wax would be hard enough to cause damage but guess im wrong and just learnt something.
    Wonder what the re-enactors use with their b/p rifles and do they have to have a special licence to shoot away from the range??

Re-enactors use nothing but powder down the barrel due to the danger of wadding hitting someone.

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post

With the greatest respect if you haven't got adequate liability insurance and previous experience then think very carefully about this as it is fraught with danger on several different levels.

If all you have to push against is the air then you have to try and move that air really fast so it pushes back. Easier with a long barrel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loach369 View Post
    With the greatest respect if you haven't got adequate liability insurance and previous experience then think very carefully about this as it is fraught with danger on several different levels.
    I'm only investigating the possibility at this stage. Nothing has been decided yet.

The Bosun's Watch

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by acmsarh View Post
    Re-enactors use nothing but powder down the barrel due to the danger of wadding hitting someone.
    Yep. That's what my cannon crew used to do. 8 ounces of powder in aluminum foil, to charge a 6-pounder cannon. And it was LOUD! And remember: still very deadly! The foil remnants and the blast itself could kill a person.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

wax candle

hi my dad showed me some safety things as a 8 year old kid one of the demos was a bit of candle in a 12 bore it went strate through a solid wooden door i was taken a back he got me to hit a bit of wax the same size with a rubber mallet it just flatened the wax. then gave me a steel hammer and i could not put a hole in the same door.
    taz
    TORQUE OF THE DEVIL