Thread: Idea's for a competition please

Idea's for a competition please

Hi!

I have been shooting regularly at my local club for 9 years now and I love every minute of it! But in the last two year some of the older shots have given up due to failing eye sight or ill health. I have tried to convince them to try bench rest as an alternative but no takers, I suspect that they feel it's a bit of a cop out after years of prone shooting (two brothers at our club have 40 years membership a piece at our club!).
    Now this got me thinking, most of the members at our club have scoped sporting rifles. How about one evening a month having a sporting rifle evening. That way every one still gets to meet up, we can still have some friendly competition, the people that founded our club can continue to be an active part of it and it's an excuse to spend another evening a month shooting!
    Then I started thinking some more (I know, don't worry, I'll go for a lay down in a minute ).......
    How about if our club offered a restricted membership for people who don't want to shoot prone rifle at 25 yards but DO have a sporting rifle that they would like to Zero and practise with in a nice dry range, for say £20 a year plus normal range fee's, perhaps they would take part in a bit of friendly shoulder to shoulder in house competitions. They might even come along and think about giving proper target shooting a go!

Any how, My idea for the competition would be:-

1) Sporting rifle, scoped (No, not a FWB or Anschutz target rifle with a scope)
    2) Can be shot standing, prone, kneeling, or bench rest, but all card shot and entered must be shot from the same position.
    3) A 'start' score must be entered from an average of three cards shot before the competition, this 'start' score is then your target score for each card shot, scoring your 'start' score would earn you 100 points. shooting above or below this score would result in points being deducted from your possible 100, e.g. if your target score is 90 and you shoot a 91 your actual score would be 100-1=99.
    4)Sighting shots allowed, then 10 shots fired for scoring, 5 at each of the 2 bull targets
    5)The winner would be the the person with the higest score after submission of five cards

If anyone has any other sugestions, tips, hints or advice it would be much apreciated.

BG1

Ideas for a competition

BG,

Many years ago I used to hillclimb a Mini, very slowly.

For the club competitions (penalty) points were scored, based on the class record. So, drivers from all classes competed against each other.

If you assume a likely points score for each gun and stance combination each member can aim for that score, and as new 'records' are set so the par score would be amended.

Just a thought.......\

I won't be coming, by coincidence I am looking to buy and Anschutz and put a 'scope on it!

Joe

The comp side of it sounds like a fairly standard Handicap competition. Tried and tested, works pretty well. Only thing is with those you tend to get a lot of 'tons, although granted you're splitting it over 5 cards, so that should spread the scores a bit. Just make sure you've established what your tie-break procedure is.

As for the restricted membership scheme. Good luck if you can make it happen - a lot of beaurocracy but doable. The problem - as many have mentioned in the other thread is where the zeroing condition on sporting rifles ends. Strictly speaking, they could come and zero, but not compete.
    It depends where you draw the line. I'm sure there are plenty of hunting partners who have gone out and, on finding their luck down and little going on, have retreated to their zeroing spot, set out a few targets and had an impromptu competition against each other. In your case, you could choose to say that they're just "comparing" their zeroing cards for a bit of fun and not competing
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

We have a dozen or more members taking part in our own LSR competition. LSR rules, 20 yards standing, max rifle weight 4500 grams, min trigger pull 500 grams, calibre up to 0.22. PL14/06 targets.

Six of us are in the teams that we enter into the national NSRA postal comps. There are ten "rounds" of four cards each with five shots to be taken, and each "round" has a closing date about 2 weeks after the previous round. Our internal comp for all members who want to take part is run to the same rules, and the team shooters can elect to shoot dedicated cards for the internal comp or they can choose to shoot just their NSRA cards and let those scores count for both comps, however they have to make that choice before they shoot that round.

Now here's the twist. Instead of a handicapping system, at the end of the season we draw at random pairs of names and add their scores together to make a team score. It might be two good shots or two bad shots or one of each, we won't know till after the last card has been shot. That gives the lesser shooters some chance and some reason to compete, otherwise they would say what's the point, we know who is going to win don't we.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Why do they have to compete?
    My club caters for everyone, from the keenest comp shooters to plinkers including juniors. If they didn't then over half of our membership would just up an go. Its a club with club atmosphere. No-one looks down on the members that dont enter the competitions. In fact it nudges the less competative to try just that bit harder to improve their shooting. What is wrong with your members just going to enjoy themselves when they feel they dont have to prove themselves any more?

Have a word with Tony at Sandwell Field Sports, he runs the Penkridge AGC in Staffs, they put a series of Knock down targets out & their less mobile members take a stool or something similiar to sit on, some take a score card with them, some just do it just for the crack, very informal & friendly.