Thread: umarex walther cp88 build quality

umarex walther cp88 build quality

Hi, I know the CP88 was one of the first pistols umerex brought to the market in the co2/replica firearm format. I was just wondering if there has been a deteriation or improvement in quality over the period they have made them and if so in what areas. Does any member have an early and recent example to compare?

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
    Hi, I know the CP88 was one of the first pistols umerex brought to the market in the co2/replica firearm format. I was just wondering if there has been a deteriation or improvement in quality over the period they have made them and if so in what areas. Does any member have an early and recent example to compare?
    spitfire,

I have the early black cp88 and yesterday bought a new matt black cp88.

The build quality is excellent on both guns. The matt black looks good, but it is easier to scratch as just painted on. I enjoy using these guns at 10m targets and the early model has adjustable sights and aftermarket silencer.

One slight quibble (on both) is the slackness on the removable plastic grip, which I sorted with a bit of plastic tape inside the catch.

Alex.

thanks for the info. was just wondering whether to go down the new or s/hand route as i had heard the early ones were made better.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    The matt black looks good, but it is easier to scratch as just painted on.
    The matt black marks easily because matt finishes are rough and pick up material from other surfaces when they rub together, matt surfaces also mark where abrasion takes off the high points from the rough surface and brings local areas closer to a gloss finish.
    The Umarex gloss finish is a matt base with a clear top coat, the clear top coat is "just painted on".
    The later matt finish doesn't come off with Nitromorse, Cellulose Thinner, Acetone or Trichlorethylene so it's way better than most paints
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    The later matt finish doesn't come off with Nitromorse, Cellulose Thinner, Acetone or Trichlorethylene so it's way better than most paints
    ATB,
    Nick
    Nick,

Don't think I'll try any of those on my lovely new CP88.

Agreed about matt finishes wearing shiny. I have that on my motorcycle and the manufacturers say not to rub the paintwork. With the Walther it would probably show up with putting it in and out of a holster or similar abrasion. The old shiny one has been fine for years, like new.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers, Alex.
    Last edited by cooler; 09-01-2012 at 10:30 PM.

cp88

I had the silver version with the comp extention and wooden grips,it was nice but still just looked like paint and would have preferd the black also and the grips marked very easily.but it was great fun and so easy to use,after years using a hurricane.

Folks,

As an update to this thread, I've just noticed some paint loss from my matt black cp88 and I've only had the gun for a week! It seems to chip easily to reveal the silver metal underneath. I had already noticed this on some demo models in the shops but put it down to rough handling. Looking closely at the chipped area, the matt black finish is very thin.

It is still an attractive finish, and being thin it defines the details on the gun nicely, but I'm being very careful with it from now on. It should be quite easy to touch in the loss with matt black car paint, but we shouldn't really have to be doing that on an expensive gun IMO.

Some people have said that the 'nickel' type finish on these guns is harder wearing, but I haven't checked that myself.

Alex.

Hi to all. Whilst on the subject of the Umarex CP88. Is there anyway of finding out what the year of manufacture of the pistol was via Serial Number etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated fellas.

dating from serial number

I would also be interested in the possibility of dating through use of the serial numbers used by Umarex, especially on the cp88.