Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eye problems

eye problems

Just new to air pistol shooting. Need reading and driving glasses so when I look at the sights without specs they are out of focus, also so is the target! Whats the solution for 10m range (apart from suicide)
    mervy

Mervy,

I'm in the same boat as you.

What I do is wear the reading specs to get a clear image of the open sights and let the target blur. Even like this I can put a bull in the paper at 10 metres. Made a stupid mistake with a red dot sight. I took it back to the shop complaining that it was a blur and the guy pointed out that I was wearing my readers - doh. Took them off and it was fine. They had worked with the open sight but not with the red dot.

Good luck, and hope you find a way.

Best wishes, Alex.

Hi Alex thanks. The backsight is about twice the distance from my eyes than book so might need a cheapie pair from Tesco to get the sight in focus! How do you cope with sighting onto the correct spot on the target when you can't see it clearly? Don't have this problem with my rifle telescopic sight! Regards Mervyn

I think a lot does depend on individual eyesight.
    I wear varifocal specs and although I can use them for shooting, I find I have to hold my head at an uncomfortably high angle in order to be able to focus on the sights through the lowest part of the lens.
    I have some single focus 'reading' glasses that I use with my computer and these are very good for focusing on the sights, but leave the target very much a blur, so are useless if the target is very small or poorly defined.
    I have found that improving illumination of both target and sights improves matters considerably.

In my case, perhaps an answer would be specs with 1 varifocal and 1 close focus lens, so that I could use one for acquiring the target and the other for aiming - not simultaneously though

Ian

eye problem

The most important thing is to have a clearly defined and correct sight picture , sounds daft but the target is of secondary importance. As long as you can see the target it doesn't matter if it is blurred. If possible set your sights so you are aiming into the white part of the target but the pellet will strike into the black.
    It's all about concentration on your sight picture.

glasses

as jassi i too wear v-focals and don't have trouble detecting the targets or the sights
    i just can't hit much for some strange reason this year but i will try harder cheap glasses from the stores will make
    your eye sight worse in the long run so have a word with your optic people
    atb
    john
    Last edited by harps; 12-01-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    Guisley FTC

Longbenton North Tyneside. +Dinnington FTC.
    I sold all my Pistol gear for most of the reasons above, concentrate on my rifle shooting more now.

Yes, less than perfect eyesight is a royal pain for pistol shooting

I have found that sharp focus on the FRONT sight is THE most important thing. This advice can be read in pistol shooting / coaching books, and I have found it to be true in practice.

In some instances a (pre arranged) trip to your optician with your pistol can be required. To have glasses made up to allow front sight focus. You won't be scoring to your potential without such ability to focus.

While aiming, one's eye should be constantly scanning the relationship between front and rear sight. Leaving the brain to keep you aiming in the correct place!

Agreed that it is also difficult to have the bull far out of focus, but as said above -raise your sights to allow aiming further down into the white, and pleed your case for stronger lighting at the target if required.

HTH,
    Phil
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 12-01-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: fettling

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    [QUOTE=Rickenbacker;5294159]
    I have found that sharp focus on the FRONT sight is THE most important thing. This advice can be read in pistol shooting / coaching books, and I have found it to be true in practice.[QUOTE]

As above, the focus should be on the foresight and the position of the foresight central in and level with the top of the foresight.

The black on the target should be a blur or grey and the aiming area is below the black; the barrel is pointing at the centre of the target.

Check out coaching manuals for more detail or speak to a club instructor.

Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

[QUOTE=mikec4;5294182][QUOTE=Rickenbacker;5294159]
    I have found that sharp focus on the FRONT sight is THE most important thing. This advice can be read in pistol shooting / coaching books, and I have found it to be true in practice.

As above, the focus should be on the foresight and the position of the foresight central in and level with the top of the rear sight.

The black on the target should be a blur or grey and the aiming area is below the black; the barrel is pointing at the centre of the target.

Check out coaching manuals for more detail or speak to a club instructor.

Mike.
    EFA

Quote Originally Posted by Brynner View Post
    The most important thing is to have a clearly defined and correct sight picture , sounds daft but the target is of secondary importance. As long as you can see the target it doesn't matter if it is blurred. If possible set your sights so you are aiming into the white part of the target but the pellet will strike into the black.
    It's all about concentration on your sight picture.
    Brynner,

Spot on.

Alex.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    My bad - apologies for writing foresight when I meant REARSIGHT.

At my age I should know better........
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    The rearsight should be blurred.
    The foresight should be in focus.
    The target shouldn't be in focus,you shouldn't be able to see detail to aim at "a spot" on the target, the black centre should be a blurred round dot hovering above your foresight - you aquire a consistant target picture that looks like this -

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/hawc/image...ht_picture.png

If you're trying to see detail on the target you're doing it all wrong
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Thanks guys. The consensus seems to be a priority to get the FRONTSIGHT ONLY in focus. Merv

I have the same problem to but not that badly. I find laser sights for pistols work well for me, so I just focus on the target and sight the laser onto it. Probably sounds stupid to some people but that works for me.