Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: eye problems

Quote Originally Posted by junaid8 View Post
    I have the same problem to but not that badly. I find laser sights for pistols work well for me, so I just focus on the target and sight the laser onto it. Probably sounds stupid to some people but that works for me.
    But not if you're a 10m comp shooter

As Magic has stated, the foresight should remain in focus and be sharp, the target will be blurred to most of us, especially the older shooters as the eyes are the first things to let go as we age.

The rear sight should be opened up to give at least the same width of the foresight to each side of the foresight post and the left or right of the rearsight edge. This will appear blurred to many as well, just pop the foresight post in the middle.

Aim "sub 6" which is the line between the 5 and 6 rings and judge the distance below the black blur of the 7 ring. This obviously takes practice but it will allow some very accurate shooting once you perfect the technique.

If you still struggle, then using shooting optics helps especially using an iris. A cheap and easy way is to fit a small peice of black or dark blue neoprene type felt to a small paper clip and burn a small hole in the centre. Position this on your glasses so that you have to look through the hole to see both sights and target. The iris will force your eyes to focus more of the sights and target and make the image seem crisper.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

BigEars Guest
    I get on not too badly with varifocals. They work better with a two handed grip as it's easier to find the sweet spot on the lens that gives a good sight picture.

A one handed grip has me standing sideways and it's awkward to turn my head enough to use the middle part of the lens.

Try aiming with the opposite eye - that way you will stand square on to the target.

I've been experimenting with this, as my left eye (non dominant) actually gives better distance vision when I have my close focus computer specs on, (compared with my right eye). I am right-handed.
    My shooting has improved considerably and the stance is OK once you get used to it.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    The rearsight should be blurred.
    The foresight should be in focus.
    The target shouldn't be in focus,you shouldn't be able to see detail to aim at "a spot" on the target, the black centre should be a blurred round dot hovering above your foresight - you aquire a consistant target picture that looks like this -

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/hawc/image...ht_picture.png

If you're trying to see detail on the target you're doing it all wrong
    ATB,
    Nick
    100% correct.

The human eye, or any other eye for that matter is incapable of focussing on rear sight, front sight and target at the same time. It is the FRONT SIGHT that should be in crisp focus.

Try off-the-hook reading glasses until you find the lens that gives you front sight focus.

Forget the "distraction bull" completely; you are going for an area aim on a blank sheet of card. Try shooting at the back of a target and you will prove to yourself that without the fuzzy black thing to distract you and "pull" your eye towards it, your groups will usually improve, believe it or not! Your peripheral vision and subconscious will align the sights to the outline of the target - surprisingly accurately.

A good forum for target shooting is:-

http://www.targettalk.org/viewforum....days=0&start=0
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

eye problems

Have you tried keeping both eyes open!!! After considerable practice it helps. Just try aiming at anything with unloaded gun until you think you've got it. It is counter intuitive but works and causes less strain on facial muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    Have you tried keeping both eyes open!!! After considerable practice it helps. Just try aiming at anything with unloaded gun until you think you've got it. It is counter intuitive but works and causes less strain on facial muscles.
    Some can and some can't, due to eye dominance. Using a simple eye blanker is worth it, for the reason you mention above.

Having had to take my Mum for a Glocoma op last week - My own eye test was coincedentally also due ... Had the test - The pressure in my right (shooting) eye is double what it should be (was perfectly ok at the previous test). So, subject to having it confirmed at the eye hosp', heres to Glocoma and a valid excuse for missing! ::raises glass::

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post

Tried this today - talk about Clarence the crossed-eyed lion

After a while, I found my shooting had improved a little.
    It was certainly easy to line up on the target, but I had difficulty if there was more than one target close together on the sheet of paper.

I shall persevere with this and try it with different pistols.

Ian

This might not be what your after, but as I shoot 10 m county match cards and I'm just one step away fron a white stick I have proper target shooting specs like http://10techshooting.com/Shooting%20Glasses.html (don't use that sight, just did a quick google search to find the right glasses)
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Smile Both eyes open.

Quote Originally Posted by jassi View Post
    Tried this today - talk about Clarence the crossed-eyed lion

After a while, I found my shooting had improved a little.
    It was certainly easy to line up on the target, but I had difficulty if there was more than one target close together on the sheet of paper.

I shall persevere with this and try it with different pistols.

Ian
    Yes I still struggle on some targets like you and in that case i just half close (squint slightly) That works too. I simply try not to close my left eye to avoid strain on long shooting sessions.

Basics and Eye Problems

I have read with interest all the comments made and I think that I can add a little help. I have been a match pistol shooter for 40 years+ so I think that I have learned a few good pointers. First you must find out which is your master eye. To do this, with both eyes open point at an object 10 meters away. Now close the right eye, are you pointing at the object? If not open the right eye and now close the left, are you pointing at the object now? The eye that you find is looking at the pointed object is the master eye and where possible the pistol should be lined up with that eye. Next, learn to shoot with both eyes open, this improves balance, which should make for a more steady aim. Alway look at the fore site and line it up correctly with the rear site, ignore the blurred target you will get used to seeing it that way. The aiming point should be between the bottom of the black ring and the bottom of the card, using the white of the card stops the sights getting lost in the black ring, which will happen when the light is poor, sights of course must be adjusted so the shot falls in the black ring. Your stance is also very important. Start off standing with your feet in the 10 o'clock position, close your eyes, lift the arm holding the pistol until you think you should be in line with the target. Now open your eyes and keeping your pistol raised, move the feet until the pistol is in line with the target, this is your natural shooting position. Breathing also plays a big part. The body needs enough oxygen in it to take you through lifting the pistol, sighting and the shot release. To do this take two to three deep breaths, on the last breath as you exhale bring up the pistol, sight and release the shot. Do not hold your breath during any part of the shooting process. The body should be as relaxed as possible, holding air in the lungs requires effort, a relaxed chest requires none. Do not hold in the fullshooting position for longer than 8 seconds.

For those who want to try one, there are adjustable irises which clip onto the glasses frame, the smaller the hole the deeper the depth of field, this means that in good light you can get rear and fore sights sharp, plus the target is also sharp. The NSRA sell them in their shop, but I found mine on the net in the USA, where they were much cheaper.

For anyone who wants an excellent read, what I consider the pistol shooters bible, look for Hans Standl's book ,"Pistol Shooting As a Sport".

Enjoy.
    Cardsharper.